The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

Number 84

Aladdin (1992)

29 Points (13 Votes, Avg Score 49.15)

516Ril2SA9L.jpg

"Ah, no, I never actually wished to get out of the cave, huh. You did that on your own."

Top 10 Placements: 1

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (73, -11), 2013 (78, -6), 2012 (56, -28)

Tomatometer: 94%

Box Office: 217.35m (449.96m)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 2 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: Aladdin is a street-urchin who lives in a large and busy town long ago with his faithful monkey friend Abu. When Princess Jasmine gets tired of being forced to remain in the palace that overlooks the city, she sneaks out to the marketplace, where she accidentally meets Aladdin. Under the orders of the evil Jafar (the sultan's advisor), Aladdin is thrown in jail and becomes caught up in Jafar's plot to rule the land with the aid of a mysterious lamp. Legend has it that only a person who is a "diamond in the rough" can retrieve the lamp from the Cave of Wonders. Aladdin might fit that description, but that's not enough to marry the princess, who must (by law) marry a prince.

Critic Opinion: "Robin Williams's vocal performance as the Genie steals the show in this beautifully constructed Disney animation, his ad-libbing a perfect match for the wonderful visuals. Kids will be enchanted by the captivating Arabian Nights tale, in which street urchin Aladdin (voiced by Scott Weinger) uses a magical oil lamp and its wish-granting genie to win the love of Princess Jasmine (Linda Larkin, Lea Salonga singing) and defeat the evil Jafar (Jonathan Freeman). There's plenty for adults to enjoy, too, particularly the film's delightful songs and numerous sophisticated references. In the end, though, it's Williams's movie." - Tom Hutchinson

User Opinion: "If anyone does't give Aladdin at least an A Im not sure we can be friends.... if a B+ though we can keep in touch maybe." - Jay Hollywood

Personal Comment: Aladdin is the first animated film to appear on the list, and the third 90s films (For those of you trying to keep up with the decade tally).  While the typical Disney magic is in this movie, Robin Williams' role as the genie truly makes it something special and memorable in the hearts of nearly everyone.  If you compared movies to food, Aladdin would be a pepperoni pizza in the food world, it's something nearly everyone loves.

• Like 17

5 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Number 84

Aladdin (1992)

29 Points (13 Votes, Avg Score 49.15)

516Ril2SA9L.jpg

"Ah, no, I never actually wished to get out of the cave, huh. You did that on your own."

Top 10 Placements: 1

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (73, -11), 2013 (78, -6), 2012 (56, -28)

Tomatometer: 94%

Box Office: 217.35m (449.96m)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 2 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: Aladdin is a street-urchin who lives in a large and busy town long ago with his faithful monkey friend Abu. When Princess Jasmine gets tired of being forced to remain in the palace that overlooks the city, she sneaks out to the marketplace, where she accidentally meets Aladdin. Under the orders of the evil Jafar (the sultan's advisor), Aladdin is thrown in jail and becomes caught up in Jafar's plot to rule the land with the aid of a mysterious lamp. Legend has it that only a person who is a "diamond in the rough" can retrieve the lamp from the Cave of Wonders. Aladdin might fit that description, but that's not enough to marry the princess, who must (by law) marry a prince.

Critic Opinion: "Robin Williams's vocal performance as the Genie steals the show in this beautifully constructed Disney animation, his ad-libbing a perfect match for the wonderful visuals. Kids will be enchanted by the captivating Arabian Nights tale, in which street urchin Aladdin (voiced by Scott Weinger) uses a magical oil lamp and its wish-granting genie to win the love of Princess Jasmine (Linda Larkin, Lea Salonga singing) and defeat the evil Jafar (Jonathan Freeman). There's plenty for adults to enjoy, too, particularly the film's delightful songs and numerous sophisticated references. In the end, though, it's Williams's movie." - Tom Hutchinson

User Opinion: "If anyone does't give Aladdin at least an A Im not sure we can be friends.... if a B+ though we can keep in touch maybe." - Jay Hollywood

Personal Comment: Aladdin is the first animated film to appear on the list, and the third 90s films (For those of you trying to keep up with the decade tally).  While the typical Disney magic is in this movie, Robin Williams' role as the genie truly makes it something special and memorable in the hearts of nearly everyone.  If you compared movies to food, Aladdin would be a pepperoni pizza in the food world, it's something nearly everyone loves.

@Baumer

• Like 1

I think it is ironic how some of you older folks dislike Potter, yet are in love with SW, which is even more YA than HP. I just dob't get it. But I suspect in 30 years, when a new stuff comes out, things will be the same with my generation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, James said:

I think it is ironic how some of you older folks dislike Potter, yet are in love with SW, which is even more YA than HP. I just dob't get it. But I suspect in 30 years, when a new stuff comes out, things will be the same with my generation.

Potter is nowhere near the quality that SW is.  Voldemort is one of the worst villains of all time.  :ph34r:

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, James said:

I like Potter quite a bit, I just like SW more.  Though they do possess similar qualities.  Young hero lives with his aunt and uncle, finds out he's meant for extraordinary things.  Has to defeat evil dark lord .  

10 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Is there a list of 100 - 85? 

And go Aladdin. Not really deserving of a spot on the all-time 100 but it's such a nostalgic childhood fave that I don't mind. 

position film year
100 The Big Lebowski 1998
99 No Country For Old Men 2007
98 Magnolia 1999
97 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 2 2011
96 Captain America: Winters Soldier 2014
95 Ghostbusters 1984
94 Do The Right Thing 1989
93 Her 2013
92 Captain America: Civil War 2016
91 Raging Bull 1980
90 Chinatown 1974
89 The Shining 1980
88 The Wolf of Wall Street 2013
87 North By Northwest 1959
86 Spider-Man 2 2004
85 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 2004
84 Aladdin 1992
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Spider-Man 2 is clearly and unquestionably superior to Guardians and Iron Man, come on now guys.

Who said anything about Guardians or Iron Man :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

Spider-Man 2 is clearly and unquestionably superior to Guardians and Iron Man, come on now guys.

The Spider-Man trilogy is superior than the MCU period.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baumer said:

Potter is nowhere near the quality that SW is.  Voldemort is one of the worst villains of all time.  :ph34r:

Oh please. Vader looks/talks like a parody character compared to Voldemort. 

So I watched Chinatown just a day before submitting my list/deadline. And I really loved it, the story, the acting, the atmosphere, the ending, the tension, the beautiful way in which the deep layered mystery got so crisply revealed even with turns and twists, everything. I put it at number 21, thus giving it 4 points. It made the list by 3 points. 

Strange are the ways of fate.

• Like 3