The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

2 minutes ago, Kalo said:

So I can't have an opinion? :lol:

Well, he replied to you commenting on the fact that matrix made 16 and how it displeases you. The list is built by the collective opinion of the members. So... can't other people have an opinion?

4 minutes ago, Infernus said:

Well, he replied to you commenting on the fact that matrix made 16 and how it displeases you. The list is built by the collective opinion of the members. So... can't other people have an opinion?

No.

• Like 2

Number 14

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

79 Points (15 Votes, Avg Score 22.27)

Bx_Lcw9CcAAThrs.jpg

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye."

Number 1 Placements: 3 Placements

Top 5 Placements: 5 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 6 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (43, +29), 2013 (17, +3), 2012 (22, +8)

Tomatometer: 94%

Box Office: 56.72m (371.46m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 1 Oscar

IMDb Synopsis: "2001" is a story of evolution. Sometime in the distant past, someone or something nudged evolution by placing a monolith on Earth (presumably elsewhere throughout the universe as well). Evolution then enabled humankind to reach the moon's surface, where yet another monolith is found, one that signals the monolith placers that humankind has evolved that far. Now a race begins between computers (HAL) and human (Bowman) to reach the monolith placers. The winner will achieve the next step in evolution, whatever that may be.

Critic Opinion: "Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey is now re-released in cinemas, and after Christopher Nolan’s flawed and heartfelt voyage in Interstellar, it is salutary to revisit the film which invented so many of its tropes and ideas. Maybe only rocket science and deep space could absorb Kubrick’s famous coldness and control and tendency to visionary gigantism. It has become customary to place 2001 in a challenging or dark or dystopian sci-fi tradition as opposed to the all-conqueringly sucrose Star Wars. Actually, 2001 doesn’t exactly fit that first camp either: something in its mandarin blankness and balletic vastness, and refusal to trade in the emollient dramatic forms of human interest and human sympathy. Kubrick leaves usual considerations behind with his readiness to imagine a post-human future. For all its sentimentality, Steven Spielberg’s film A.I. Artificial Intelligence (a project once nursed by Kubrick) is nearer in spirit to 2001 than Interstellar. And at one remove, Steven Soderbergh’s intelligent, respectful remake of Tarkovsky’s Solaris in 2002 has some trace elements. This chance to see 2001 on the big screen shouldn’t be missed." - Peter Bradshaw

User Opinion: "So for some reason being a huge movie buff, I was surprised to think to myself.  "Why haven't I seen 2001: A Space Odyssey".  I love Kurbrick but for some reason or another I never got around to watching this.   Oh Boy it deserves all the props that it gets.  The visuals for 1968 (12 years before I was born) was amazing.  It's crazy I watched it this weekend cause this is the 45 Anniversary this week.  So many Sci-Fi movies were clearly inspired by this including "Prometheus" recently.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around the ending and the themes presented.  I clearly remember so people telling me it was "Slow" and "Boring".  I don't see that, it was very intense and had my attention the entire time.  This was movie was ahead of it's time and I could see why it was polarizing when it came out but now it's a Classic cause people have had time to digest what was presented.  The music was great, the Effects were great for their era.  I loved the acting and the computer Hal 9000 was a great villian.  This was a really great movie and even though I knew it was considered a Classic, that doesn't cloud my judgement.  Either I like a movie or I don't.  This movie blew me away.  Perfect" - filmscholar

Personal Comment: Stanley Kubrick makes his way back on the list with one of the most monumental films of its time.  2001: A Space Odyssey is a legendary epic, mind twisting movie that has inspired many movies to follow it.  In fact it was a big inspiration for a one of a certain director's big movies who comes later in the list (he is maybe coming up more than once... Who knows?).  2001 is the 6th movie from the 1960s decade to make our list, and its divisiveness upon release and even to this day is astounding.  This is a movie you either absolutely love, or don't want anything to do with, and I just happen to fall into the absolutely love camp.  There is so much to this movie that it makes you even wonder if the images it places in your head even have grand purpose, or if they're intentionally there to make you think there's a purpose when none really exists.  The film resonates powerfully to this day and is a master-class film.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 15

Number 13

Forrest Gump (1994)

80 Points (22 Votes, Avg Score 32.14)

Forrest_Gump_poster.jpg

"Stupid is as stupid does."

Number 1 Placements: 1 Placement

Top 5 Placements: 4 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 7 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (39, +26), 2013 (23, +10), 2012 (15, +2)

Tomatometer: 72% (The only not certified fresh movie to make the list)

Box Office: 329.69m (673.92m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 6 Oscars, including Best Picture

IMDb Synopsis: Forrest Gump is a simple man with a low I.Q. but good intentions. He is running through childhood with his best and only friend Jenny. His 'mama' teaches him the ways of life and leaves him to choose his destiny. Forrest joins the army for service in Vietnam, finding new friends called Dan and Bubba, he wins medals, creates a famous shrimp fishing fleet, inspires people to jog, starts a ping-pong craze, creates the smiley, writes bumper stickers and songs, donates to people and meets the president several times. However, this is all irrelevant to Forrest who can only think of his childhood sweetheart Jenny Curran, who has messed up her life. Although in the end all he wants to prove is that anyone can love anyone.

Critic Opinion: "But Vietnam is not the only truth of Zemeckis’ America. The movie is bracketed by scenes set in the idyllic, imaginary small town of Greenbow, Ala., site of the boardinghouse where Forrest grows up (he is played as a boy by Michael Humphreys, and his mother by Sally Field) and to which he returns for the film’s autumnal ending.

These final passages find Zemeckis harvesting the themes and images he has carefully planted; the effect is quietly devastating, deftly underplayed. There’s a delicacy here that the big broad Zemeckis has never attempted before - a great film maker, he keeps getting better." - Dave Kehr

User Opinion: "My new all time favorite movie. Damn, surely didn't expect such a great performance from Sinise (this is the first time I've seen him in ANY movie. I knew him as having a TV show, but not that he was Oscar Nominated). Great soundtrack, story (I cried like a little bitch many times throughout the movie), very likeable characters, and the end when he finds out that he has a son and wants to ask if he is like him, or smart, broke me to pieces.

Damn sad movie. I also teared up every time Jenny left AGAIN." - ChD

Personal Comment: Robert Zemeckis hits up our list one last time with his most famous and iconic work, Forrest Gump.  Forrest Gump continues the 90s domination by being the 23rd movie from the decade to make out countdown.  Forrest Gump is also the worst critically reviewed movie on our list, however that didn't stop it from being an absolute box office monster and best picture winner that has ingrained itself into pop-culture for eternity.  Forrest Gump has so many iconic scenes, moments, sequences, and lines that it's almost impossible not to smile and get a little bit emotional throughout it.  I remember something one of my friend's said quite some time ago, "Man, if you haven't seen Forrest Gump, you aren't American."  Forrest Gump is truly an American classic.

• Like 8

In fact it was a big inspiration for a one of a certain director's big movies who comes later in the list (he maybe coming up more than once... Who knows?).

tumblr_o36az0SNmJ1s2hxkoo1_500.gif

Edited by Giesi
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Number 13

Forrest Gump (1994)

80 Points (22 Votes, Avg Score 32.14)

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (39, +26), 2013 (23, +10), 2012 (15, +2)

Okay, there clearly was a mistake made somewhere

• Like 3

Number 12

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)

84 Points (24 Votes, Avg Score 30.875)

lord_of_the_rings_the_two_towers.jpg

"*Po-tay-toes!* Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew..."

Top 5 Placements: 5 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 5 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (19, +7), 2013 (29, +17), 2012 (11, -1)

Tomatometer: 96%

Box Office: 342.55m (495.28m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 2 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: While Frodo and Sam, now accompanied by a new guide, continue their hopeless journey towards the land of shadow to destroy the One Ring, each member of the broken fellowship plays their part in the battle against the evil wizard Saruman and his armies of Isengard.

Critic Opinion: "Perhaps one of the best sequels ever made, “The Two Towers” stays true to the first film simply because it was filmed simultaneously (along with the third film). This way, the production design, characters and feel is completely seamless. The only film to come this close to the look and feel of the original is “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.”  With a more satisfying ending and a tremendous battle that makes “Braveheart” look like a group of kindergartners playing red rover, “The Two Towers” whets the appetite for the final film, “The Return of the King.” Thank god we only have to wait a year." - Kevin Carr

User Opinion: "This movie is excellent on so many levels. It dealt with all of the different character stories, and meshed them all in the end for one great movie." - Warhorse

Personal Comment: Peter Jackson comes onto the list with the second installment to the Lord of the Rings franchise.  He, like the Wachowski's, is also somewhat of a one hit wonder only if you include all 3 Lord of the Rings movies as one and ignore the potential greatness of King Kong.  The Lord of the Rings is also the 15th movie from the 2000s decade.  I find it very hard to rank the Lord of the Rings films, because they all work together in my eyes.  Nobody really says, "I feel like watching Two Towers today!" and then ignore watching the rest, these films go together.  If one of these films had been sub-par or lacking, it would diminish the quality of the other two as they are all one overly long movie.  However, the Two Towers does have a few things that makes it special, even if it's the middle "bridge" movie of the three, and the most notable is one of the best battles ever put to screen.  Helm's Deep is in a way the defining moment for this film, and a defining moment for the series, as it created a visual experience like none had seen before it.

• Like 15

10 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Okay, there clearly was a mistake made somewhere

I counted, re-counted, and triple checked to make sure this one wasn't too high, and it was this high.

(I actually triple counted all of the top 25 to make sure I didn't make any mistakes.  Everything else I just double checked after the initial counting)

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1