kayumanggi

Wednesday Numbers: 3.9 M CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR

7 minutes ago, RichWS said:

After Day 13, Iron Man 3 had taken in 73% of its total gross; Ultron 71.7%. You apply that to Civil War, you get a range of $425-433m.

What we've been expecting since the 3rd Friday came in under the early estimates.... 

The Wednesday number is expected it's a few thousand higher than I estimated yesterday. 

46 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

2017: The Lego Batman Movie (Feb), Beauty And The Beast (March), Fast 8 (April)

2018: Black Panther (Feb), Gigantic (March), whatever remake Disney's conjuring up - maybe The Jungle Book 2? (April)

Still, the thing about the Zootoglebookpool trifecta is that all of the three came completely out of nowhere. Nobody ever saw DP gross over 360M and 760M WW (will probaby go 770-780M after Japan release). Nobody ever saw TJB go over Alice In Wonderland DOM (even if the 1B WW predictions weren't out of question, at least for me they weren't). Nobody ever saw Zootopia be anywhere near the type of monster that it was. Three mega surprises.

So yeah. Your trifecta of magic can be as amazing as you can hope it is - but it'll never have the Zootoglebookpool swagger EVER. #DarkHorsesOf16

Amazingly, only one person in the $300 M dom club seems to have overpredicted its final total, and that was someone who thought it could surpass Inside Out. No one, not even me, thought it would have a 4.43X multiplier on its Opening Weekend.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Amazingly, only one person in the $300 M dom club seems to have overpredicted its final total, and that was someone who thought it could surpass Inside Out. No one, not even me, thought it would have a 4.43X multiplier on its Opening Weekend.

I remember how it was just such a big question as to whether it could even HIT 300 that I was worried about having way over estimated with my 315 m box office guess. :P I way underestimated.

32 minutes ago, cannastop said:

It depends on what he means, I predicted a $285m gross in December, before reviews, hype, what not. I'd say that's pretty close given the time-frame.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, RichWS said:

After Day 13, Iron Man 3 had taken in 73% of its total gross; Ultron 71.7%. You apply that to Civil War, you get a range of $425-433m.

75% gives 414m. looking at 415-425m i think.

2 hours ago, a2knet said:

2018 schedule is not certain but in 2017, the big ones seem to be :

Lego Batman (Feb) #2

Beauty and the Beast (March) #1

Kong:Skull Island(March)

Wolverine (March) #3

Fast 8 (April)

Fast 8 will make more DOM than Wolverine 3, so that should be #3. 

I don't see Wolverine going from $135 million DOM to $250 million+ DOM just because it's R-rated and Hugh Jackman's last appearance as Wolverine. 

$160-180 million would be a reasonable range for it. 

3 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

The OS take has fallen huge thanks to Apocalypse opening in a number of markets. Almost a 75% fall from last Wednesday.

22 minutes ago, IMojammer said:

That's a pretty big drop from Tuesday to Wednesday.  

OS-Ch

Mon: 6.4

Tue: 6.13

Wed: 3.76

Last week had a Tuesday and Wednesday increase

Mon: 9.79
Tue: 11.12

Wed: 12.48

Thu: 9.26

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

I honest to God, never thought people would give me this much shit over my Piracy claim and it's not like I made this shit up??? It is a problem, but whatever.. Decent Wed number..

It definitely has a negative effect on box office.  Don't know how anyone could pretend otherwise.    Works just like file sharing hurt album sales in music.  People are going to go with "free" if they can.   The record companies brought it on themselves by the way they acted over the years and theaters are not helping their cause with the prices they charge for a movie + concessions. 

Movies are hurt less because the theater experience is still important to some of us, but it's not as important to younger people.   The problem is only going to get worse.   I hope the film studios are taking it more serious than some posters do.   They will need to change some of the things they do.   The record companies ignored the problem and they got slaughtered.

• Like 2

The studios take piracy very seriously, although obviously there's all sorts of disagreement about the best way to minimize it. And I think it can significantly damage small movies. I just don't buy that CIVIL WAR is the only big movie being hurt by it and that piracy is the primary reason why legs aren't as good as people wanted them to be.

• Like 8