chasmmi

BOT Top 100 Movie Songs of All Time! I Need lists ASAP now People! You have until saturday, I will begin the countdown Sunday or Monday evening (Korea time)

6 hours ago, chasmmi said:

I think 70% of my list is animated :)

And yeah the list will end up being top xxx that makes sense.  If 200th gets 45 points I'll do a top 200. If 78th gets 11 I'll do to 50

So can we post a top 200 maybe aye aye? ;)

On 5/21/2016 at 5:08 PM, 4815162342 said:

Will be interesting to see how this one turns out.

My Top 100 Scores thing from last year had some interesting developments, but ended up with a giganticaly predictable and "safe" Top 10. Plan on doing that again early next year to see how the 2-year gap changes things.

Can you please give me the link to that :) 

On May 23, 2016 at 6:17 PM, Telemachos said:

No. :P

(At least, IMO they shouldn't, any more than some score using Latin choral elements. Or, as the case with the TPM score, Sanskrit.)

Eh, technically a song is anything that is sung.  It's chas' choice on what is eligible for this list but Id personally think any track which is (for the most part) sung is eligible.

Im also debating on whether I should just do original songs (as in composed for the movie) or not.  Because there's plenty of fantastic songs that plenty of different movies use so I don't really see it as credit to the movie unless its used in a unique way.  Similar to how I wouldn't want to add a song from Les Mis because nobody involved in the film composed them for the film (except for Suddenly which is a pretty meh piece).

11 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Im also debating on whether I should just do original songs (as in composed for the movie) or not.  Because there's plenty of fantastic songs that plenty of different movies use so I don't really see it as credit to the movie unless its used in a unique way.  Similar to how I wouldn't want to add a song from Les Mis because nobody involved in the film composed them for the film (except for Suddenly which is a pretty meh piece).

The way I see (as in how I am voting is that a song can add to a film/scene without being written specifically for it. But a song I love making it into a film is not going to be close to enough for it to make my list.

For example, two of my favourite songs are:

Build Me Up Buttercup

Bittersweet Symphany

If I was doing a list of favourite songs, Build me up buttercup would be top 10 easily, and it is in There's Something About Mary so I could include it. However it doesn't add to the film at all so it is not in my list.

Bittersweet Symphany in Cruel Intentions though is an amazing mix of song and situation that really elevated the part of the film it came in and thus I placed it 4th. I cannot imagine a purposefully written song for the scene being as good as that one was.

I agree with Les Mis from a personal standpoint (not a rules standpoint), however I can see a lot of argument for Moulin rouge receiving a lot of votes despite not having an original song in it.  

i'm working on a list. i've decided to entirely focus on musicals, or at least scenes where the characters are singing like magnolia or almost famous or something. just including scenes with a song playing non-diegetically is too broad and imo wouldn't make for an especially interesting list.

• Like 2

Let's be honest, like it or loathe it, we all know that the juggernaut here is going to be Disney. Just like Star Wars, LOTR and Marvel crush all in the franchise heavy lists deservedly or undeservedly. But I wanted to give a lil' shout out to some great non-Disney animated songs:

and of course...

(maybe I am kidding about the last one ;) )

• Like 1

I've worked alot on mine, I have a tendency to be very thorough though. So I started with all the best disney songs and ranked them, and am doing movies with songs played in them and then musicals and then I will have to put them altogether. a very daunting task. 

Hip to be Square from American Psycho has to be there.

Anything by Kenny Logging

Eye of the Tiger

Crazy for You by Madonna from Vision Quest

That Karate Kid song plus Cruel Summer

Anything from Top Gun and Back to the Future

Oh Yeah by Yello from Ferris Bueller

• Like 1

Fault in our Stars will make mine too but the one at the end ....brought a lump to my throat

Woman's work from She's Having a Baby

If you Leave Pretty In Pink 

Hearts on Fire Rocky iv