WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 75): X-MEN 103.3M OS OW | Angry Birds 38.15M | Captain America 32.9M (Ahoy Matey!!) | Neighbors 21.7M | The Nice Guys 11.2M | Jungle Book 10.9M

Just now, lobo007 said:

corrected, but i don't think Deadpool was filmed with IMAX cameras for any of it, so i don't know why anyone would watch it in that format.

It wasn't filmed in IMAX but I am sure it sold out a lot of shows in the format. I know it did here. 

Just now, lobo007 said:

corrected, but i don't think Deadpool was filmed with IMAX cameras for any of it, so i don't know why anyone would watch it in that format.

Jurassic World had no IMAX footage. Avengers didn't. Star Wars only had 5 minutes. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Civil War's performance is both good and bad.

It's good because its performing fine, but it's bad because Iron Man 3 made 1.2 billion without any other Avengers.

If you compare Civil War's performance to Iron Man 3 performance, its disappointing. That's really dangerous because Marvel can't keep using Downey Jr all the time to boost other movies. I mean, I don't want a male Jennifer Lawrence, which I hope it never happens. Hopefully we won't see a Downey Jr fatigue...

In a nutshell, Civil War numbers are cool, but far away from being impressive. Predictions ( from both fanboys and sources ) were insanely high, reviews were kind. So, what happened? I'm not asking in a bad way, I'm curious. 

Nothing happened. Franchises lose people over time. The MCU franchise is barely losing any of its audience. You have to look at Avengers 1 as an outlier. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Most people in real life aren't movie nerds like us. They're families that want to have a fun experience with kids. When I went to see Eye in the Sky, I sat by myself and didn't buy a thing. When I went with my brothers and two little nieces to see Zootopia, we bought popcorn and drinks and some candy because we were a family that was having a good time and enjoying ourselves. Not everyone watches movies like you, Tree. Working and middle class families like mine should be able to enjoy experiences in life without breaking the bank. That isn't too much to ask. 

That's what dollar stores and cargo pants or purses are for. That's how my family did it. If eating junk food at the movie theater counts as an essential experience in life.

• Like 2

Besides -- most people who see a movie in IMAX are not aware even if it does have IMAX footage. 99% of the time, IMAX is nothing more than a brand for big screens and loud audio. Only a handful of films have used IMAX cameras, and yet there are films showing at IMAX screens every single week.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Cap 3 grossed 92.5% of IM3 this weekend. If that continues, it will finish around $413m. If it loses more ground, it might come up short of IM3's $409m. 

Very well could. Next weekend will hurt Civil War with loss of IMAX and X-Men as direct competition, and the next weekend TMNT2 comes out.

Just now, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

The 5 Minutes of IMAX Footage in STAR WARS was probably the end scene with Luke and Rey.. Now I want all of VIII Filmed in IMAX.. It deserves this treatment..

No, it was the escape scene with the Millennium Falcon I think. 

• Like 3

Just now, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

The 5 Minutes of IMAX Footage in STAR WARS was probably the end scene with Luke and Rey.. Now I want all of VIII Filmed in IMAX.. It deserves this treatment..

No, it was the Falcon chase sequence on Jakku. The end scene would have been better, though, given that it wasn't all CGI :lol:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I like eating while watching a movie. Judge me.

We are. Just know when you're eating whatever smelly crap or constantly making noise with your candy bag, I wanna choke you. 

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

That's what dollar stores and cargo pants or purses are for. That's how my family did it. If eating junk food at the movie theater counts as an essential experience in life.

Sure, we've done that before. But sometimes you don't have time to do that when you're trying to deal with a group of children. Or maybe, the kids want to get a nice butter popcorn from the movie theater, because it's fun. Again, stop judging others. I have a belief that normal families should be able to have fun with their little kids at a movie without breaking the bank, and for almost every normal family, eating is a part of that experience. Sorry that not everyone watches movies in this way where they break out a spreadsheet to weigh economic benefit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RichWS said:

We are. Just know when you're eating whatever smelly crap or constantly making noise with your candy bag, I wanna choke you. 

I can deal with the smell, but yeah the unwrapping during the middle of the movie is so annoying.  Geez, take the plastic off during the trailers or something so that part is at least done :P 

Edited by 75live
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Treetrunk Special said:

Besides -- most people who see a movie in IMAX are not aware even if it does have IMAX footage. 99% of the time, IMAX is nothing more than a brand for big screens and loud audio. Only a handful of films have used IMAX cameras, and yet there are films showing at IMAX screens every single week.

so people are basically watching fake IMAX for the bigger screen and the bigger sound.  understandable, but not worth the premium for me. IMO the real IMAX footage can make a difference, not just in effects but quality.

Just now, lobo007 said:

so people are basically watching fake IMAX for the bigger screen and the bigger sound. 

correct.

Also, it's not really "fake IMAX", since most people have no idea what 'filmed in IMAX' means. as far as they are concerned, if their IMAX is a massive screen then it is worth it.

Fortunately IMAX footage is becoming more commonplace, and even for digital movies there are improvements in the form of laser arriving.

Edited by Treetrunk Special

The constant candy bag crinkling is one of the most obnoxious sounds on the planet. The people doing it are always incapable of recognizing it. 

It depends on the food. Popcorn or a hot dog is fine. I've just been in too many NYC theaters where people bring BBQ ribs and Burger King and God knows what else.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Sure, we've done that before. But sometimes you don't have time to do that when you're trying to deal with a group of children. Or maybe, the kids want to get a nice butter popcorn from the movie theater, because it's fun. Again, stop judging others. I have a belief that normal families should be able to have fun with their little kids at a movie without breaking the bank, and for almost every normal family, eating is a part of that experience. Sorry that not everyone watches movies in this way where they break out a spreadsheet to weigh economic benefit. 

The word "no" exists.

When I grew up with my divorced mother and my stepfather, we never got the overpriced event food. Whenever we went to the movies, we almost never got popcorn. It was the same with going to the Zoo or going to a sporting event.

• Like 1

Just now, MrPink said:

I love nachos but I can't overcome the shame of eating them during a movie.

Yeah, the nachos my cinema does are glorious but I've never eaten them in a film, I'm not a dick.