WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 75): X-MEN 103.3M OS OW | Angry Birds 38.15M | Captain America 32.9M (Ahoy Matey!!) | Neighbors 21.7M | The Nice Guys 11.2M | Jungle Book 10.9M

Just now, CJohn said:

Fucking hell?!?!?

And TMNT2 won't save us from that ungodly scary image since it doesn't have IMAX either. We have to wait until Warcraft :sadben:

Warcraft, Dory and Independence Day 2 all have IMAX only for one week. Tarzan gets it for 2 weeks, Ghostbusters 1 week, Star Trek 2 weeks and the Suicide Squad through the end of summer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Warcraft, Dory and Independence Day 2 all have IMAX only for one week. Tarzan gets it for 2 weeks, Ghostbusters 1 week, Star Trek 2 weeks and the Suicide Squad through the end of summer.

I think ID4 and Tarzan will share otherwise ID only has it for five days. Similar thing happened in  2011 with Cars 2 and Transformers 

• Like 1

Just now, John Marston said:

I think ID4 and Tarzan will share otherwise ID only has it for five days. Similar thing happened in  2011 with Cars 2 and Transformers 

WB have a big contract with IMAX, Fox doesn't. WB need to consent for IDR to get IMAX, like had happened with Avengers and Dark Shadows

It turns out Disney-Marvel’s “The Avengers” won’t have to vacate any Imax houses this weekend after all.

Disney and Warner Bros. agreed Monday to evenly split digital Imax showtimes this weekend between “Avengers” and “Dark Shadows,” leaving the Marvel pic in all 275 digital-only Imax screens from which it collected a record-setting $15.3 million last weekend. Originally, “Avengers” was slated to lose 200 of those Imax locations to “Dark Shadows,” as dictated by a pre-existing, three-year pact inked between Imax and Warners in April 2010.

Prior to Monday’s agreement, “Dark Shadows” had secured 225 Imax locations all to itself from varying U.S. markets — though many of the top-grossing venues fell within the 75 screens that “Avengers'” was slated to retain. By sharing screens and staggering showtimes, “Dark Shadows” now has runs in all 300 Imax houses, with approximately 25 print-only locations to itself (“Avengers,” a digital-only release, couldn’t play in those.

The more possible sharing arrangement is Dory and IDR as Disney and WB are the only 2 studios with a comprehensive contract with IMAX.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It won't surprise me if Dory shares with Warcraft. I believe Bourne will get IMAX for a 1 week as well between Star Trek and Suicide Squad. Mess lol.

There is no way Suicide Squad holds IMAX screens until Sully. Something else will get them in the meantime, like last year with Transporter: Refueled lol. Ben-Hur and Mechanic 2 are strong candidates. I assume Spectral will get delayed/cancelled (was that movie filmed at all or they just forgot about it on the schedule lol?) and Pete's Dragon comes one week after Suicide Squad so I don't bet on that one to get IMAX because of that.

On 4/29/2016 at 8:37 AM, Jim Shorts said:

Out.  35/80/300

This movie is at least 4 years too late.  Height of the Angry Bird craze was 2010-12.  Also, competition is going to kill this with Alice, Turtles and Dory released within the 4 weeks after it. 

I have a feeling it's going to be huge in China though. 

So far, so good.  Now let the terrible legs begin!

54 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It won't surprise me if Dory shares with Warcraft. I believe Bourne will get IMAX for a 1 week as well between Star Trek and Suicide Squad. Mess lol.

There is no way Suicide Squad holds IMAX screens until Sully. Something else will get them in the meantime, like last year with Transporter: Refueled lol. Ben-Hur and Mechanic 2 are strong candidates. I assume Spectral will get delayed/cancelled (was that movie filmed at all or they just forgot about it on the schedule lol?) and Pete's Dragon comes one week after Suicide Squad so I don't bet on that one to get IMAX because of that.

Pete's Dragon could pull a Revenant/Martian and get IMAX a couple weeks into its run.

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Pete's Dragon could pull a Revenant/Martian and get IMAX a couple weeks into its run.

With Disney I believe in everything. If it has really good legs and goes strong into Labor Day weekend it might get IMAX for that weekend.

13 hours ago, CJohn said:

The conspiracy theory guys still need to explain me how American Sniper and The Revenant did so much with crystal clean copies available online 1 month before their wide releases.

They always avoid explaining this one.

We are talking about a 10-20% hit. 

AS could have done high 300s perhaps. Before you say no. It was safe to assume it would have done low 100s like lone survivor. 350m was an unexpected insane total, no one here predicted half that much.. 380-400m is not much more crazy than 350m. If it did 220m and I say 250, some mite sat no, we'll it did 350.

TRev could have been 200m+ Again another movie not expected to do as well as it did..  You can't say 200m is impossible when it did 180. It's not proof either way, we can't say exactly what would have happened otherwise.

JW was expected to do 300m~. If an HDRIP was leaked before it opened and did 550m and I said piracy cost it 100m, I would be laughed because it over performed and no way it does TA numbers.

Baumer says he goes to 100 movies a year but watched this at home, maybe he sees it in the theater otherwise.   I'm sure he wasn't the only one when you see tens of thousands leaching several files on several sites at any given time after the release, very quickly it climbs into the millions. 20m people went to see TRev in the theater.  It's possible that 2m people opted to stay home. Again no proof.

The proof we have in CA3s case are in the dailies, weekly's and multipliers. Which are deviating from the tent pole norm with the comparable movie stats I presented due the leak after OW. It's not just BKB and I. Matrix noticed and a few others have commented on other threads. Most don't speak up here with you leading the charge on making a mockery of it. 

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

We are talking about a 10-20% hit. 

AS could have done high 300s perhaps. Before you say no. It was safe to assume it would have done low 100s like lone survivor. 350m was an unexpected insane total, no one here predicted half that much.. 380-400m is not much more crazy than 350m. If it did 220m and I say 250, some mite sat no, we'll it did 350.

TRev could have been 200m+ Again another movie not expected to do as well as it did..  You can't say 200m is impossible when it did 180. It's not proof either way, we can't say exactly what would have happened otherwise.

JW was expected to do 300m~. If an HDRIP was leaked before it opened and did 550m and I said piracy cost it 100m, I would be laughed because it over performed and no way it does TA numbers.

Baumer says he goes to 100 movies a year but watched this at home, maybe he sees it in the theater otherwise.   I'm sure he wasn't the only one when you see tens of thousands leaching several files on several sites at any given time after the release, very quickly it climbs into the millions. 20m people went to see TRev in the theater.  It's possible that 2m people opted to stay home. Again no proof.

The proof we have in CA3s case are in the dailies, weekly's and multipliers. Which are deviating from the tent pole norm with the comparable movie stats I presented due the leak after OW. It's not just BKB and I. Matrix noticed and a few others have commented on other threads. Most don't speak up here with you leading the charge on making a mockery of it. 

In the end, it's just a theory, and it's up to each of us to decide how likely/unlikely it is that the leaked version was much of a factor in CW's box office or not. This movie's target audience would seem to be smack dab in the middle of the demographic that is most likely to seek out and find a decent version online.  Unless someone conducts a survey specifically asking movie-goers about this topic - and in regard to this film in particular - all we can do is discuss and theorize why CW's legs haven't been as strong as its "quality" (another highly subjective term, obviously) would indicate they should've been. To dismiss "The Leak Theory" completely seems just as foolish IMO as someone claiming with 100% certainty that the leak was THE key factor.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sfran43 said:

Ignore the part about DP being the biggest CBM :ph34r: else my wild prediction was close.

On 4/7/2016 at 10:04 PM, a2knet said:

Buzz for JB is getting stronger by the day. Good feedback all around. 3x is guaranteed imo. MALEFICENT did 3.47x but TJB will be competing with ZOOTP and CIVIL WAR follows soon. Looking at how BVS is performing I think TJB should have come a week sooner. I don't know what contract WB has for locking down IMAX and high-cost screens and that could be the reason for the gap.

Anways, 3x looks like a lock and MALEFICENT's ~3.5x is possible but tough. On the OW side I think it can be at par with ZOOTP if the buzz in the final few days before the OW explodes like it did with ZOOTP.

I would never under-estimate the nostalgia factor after JW, and Disney's marketing is in it's own league. As a studio they are in a purple patch.

So am gonna go wild.

115m / 3.3x / 380m

And I am predicting that DP will be the biggest CBM of 2016 with ~372.5m.

IN, 380m (115m ow / 3.3x)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CJohn said:

No, they care about those dirty contracts :lol: I am pretty sure they would prefer to switch to Apocalypse instead of Alice. Apocalypse sold out tons of times here in IMAX over the weekend. 

I actually believe this (not the bit about buying critics, though.)

I remember Tarantino was furious at Disney for using its clout (although there it was the appropriate movie, imho as well) to get TFA into the Cinerama Dome screen when Tarantino had filmed Hateful Eight in 70 millimeter (I think it was) and wanted it himself.  I don't think there is any doubt Disney has distribution clout.  I tried to find XMen in IMAX this weekend and had to settle for 3D - and I don't even like 3D.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2016 at 10:56 PM, SWXII said:

CNet is producing a timeline for those who have not watched the evolution of the universe avidly. Disney should jump on this and allow people to catch up through binge watching on Netflix or similar. This would breathe new life into the series and create new fans I think.

On 5/23/2016 at 10:57 PM, RichWS said:

Nah, that won't work. 

On 5/23/2016 at 10:59 PM, cannastop said:

Pretty sure only fanboys are going to read that anyways.

They would also kill video sales forever.

I have no Disney or Netflix connection or insider knowledge. Just thought I better say that on the record. Anonymously. 

Our theatre is already getting rid of Cap this weekend to make room for Apocalypse/Alice. Not even sure if that movie hit our equivalent of $250M, which would be a surprising drop from the already somewhat disappointing 325M of Ultron.