PanaMovie

Beauty and the Beast OS Thread - 759.4M OS - 1.263B WW! - 10th Highest grossing Movie of all-time

17 minutes ago, peludo said:

Surprisingly, France was not specially big for the animated film. If I remember well it sold something like 4.5 million admissions. Respectable figure but nothing impressive (it sold more admissions in Spain, for example)

In Spain was MASSIVE.
BATB was the ONLY movie in my whole life I couldn't watch at the moment and had to came back another day because it was sold out.
Never happened (to me), not even with Lion King or Titanic.

France also has relatively cheap ticket-prices compared to the other top European markets, so lots of admissions wouldn't necessarily translate to making more money than the other markets. The gap in admissions would have to be quite significant for France to match the UK in terms of money.

6 hours ago, arpiaaaa said:

In Spain was MASSIVE.
BATB was the ONLY movie in my whole life I couldn't watch at the moment and had to came back another day because it was sold out.
Never happened (to me), not even with Lion King or Titanic.

Yes, it was very big (5 million adm), athough not as big as the others you mentioned ;)

20 minutes ago, George Parr said:

France also has relatively cheap ticket-prices compared to the other top European markets, so lots of admissions wouldn't necessarily translate to making more money than the other markets. The gap in admissions would have to be quite significant for France to match the UK in terms of money.

I always wondered why France was rarely able to get the UK's big numbers when it comes to Hollywood movies, and it's indeed a good explanation. There's also the fact French films have a pretty high share of the market (30-35% vs 45-50% for Hollywood).

I always wondered why France was rarely able to get the UK's big numbers when it comes to Hollywood movies, and it's indeed a good explanation. There's also the fact French films have a pretty high share of the market (30-35% vs 45-50% for Hollywood).

But surely in UK local films also have high share of the market? Or are there so many UK directors in Hollywood that there is not that much of local industry?

17 minutes ago, ttr said:

But surely in UK local films also have high share of the market? Or are there so many UK directors in Hollywood that there is not that much of local industry?

UK local movies have a lower share that French local movies. I'm pretty much sure of that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

UK local movies have a lower share that French local movies. I'm pretty much sure of that.

There just isn't a single factor that makes it clear what's British and what is American the way you have in France. If you used a very expansive definition for what constitutes a British film, the percent of the market might be really high, but you would be including films that most people would normally consider Hollywood

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Domestic Saturday better be unusually huge cause I'm not liking Friday number at all. I want 700M at the end of the weekend.

It's already at 541M WW and this is bound to exploe on aturday and Sunday.NA is enough to take it to 600+M .I thik it can easily clean 100M from the rest of the world in two days.

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

if BatB manages to keep the pace dom, OS and WW and somehow end up #2 of the year, we'll have 2 movies with the female lead in Top 2 (TLJ of course and this). 

I can't see anything else beating it honestly.For DOM is locked to be #2.WW is a tougher guess but it's only real competition is JL  and Guardiands amd i really think people are overpredicting Guardians while JL will need to be a fucking masterpiece to conviece people to give it...1.2B?That where i think BaTB ends.

25 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

What about Fate of the Furious OS? It's bound to drop from Furious 7 but maybe not that much?

OH YEAH i forgot about that...Well it will be a close race between these two.F7 looks like at least 80M down in NA alone and i think it will see drops across the world.So if my 1.2B +  prediction sticks as well then they will battle it out.We will know soon enough.

58 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

I can't see anything else beating it honestly.For DOM is locked to be #2.WW is a tougher guess but it's only real competition is JL  and Guardiands amd i really think people are overpredicting Guardians while JL will need to be a fucking masterpiece to conviece people to give it...1.2B?That where i think BaTB ends.

I do not think Guardians or Justice League are the competitors to be #2 WW, but, as @Valonqar and @FantasticBeasts say, F8. I have JL with a slim chance to make 1b and Guardians making maybe 1.1b, but not as high as BatB, which seems headed to about 1.25b, unless Japan explodes.

On the other side, a film that has a probable $350-400m foreign market is really hard to compete with. And although a drop seems unavoidable in consolidated markets, Furious saga seems to have more appealing in developing markets. Beyond the 390 million in China, F7 did 46 million in Brazil, 51 in Mexico or 34 in Russia with already shit ER. $523m from 4 markets and I see hard F8 can drop in those countries. I could easily see a 275/950/1.225b scenario, which seems enough menace to not lock the #2 WW spot for BatB.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

6 hours ago, Tower said:

There just isn't a single factor that makes it clear what's British and what is American the way you have in France. If you used a very expansive definition for what constitutes a British film, the percent of the market might be really high, but you would be including films that most people would normally consider Hollywood

In France, locally produced films had a 35% market share in 2015. For the UK, you may see a figure cited of 45% for locally produced films in 2015, but that includes 34% that were co-productions with US studios. Only 10.5% of UK market share went to UK-only films.

• Like 3