CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

On 5/17/2023 at 4:55 PM, Flopped said:

This is not a letterboxd friendly movie. That site is literally a platform to show off your ~superior taste. Half of it is people pretending they loved movies they secretly hated or didn't watch. 

Eh. Maybe but not like it once was... For example, the Super Mario Bros. Movie has a 3.5 there which is good. And, Cruella (I believe that's the most recent of these Disney live action adaptations) has a 3.6 there... I think as more and more users signed up, it's quite as much you're saying any longer.

12 hours ago, Eric Toretto said:

lmao

What's troubling is that they srsly thought no one would notice even if they pulled this shit right as TLM was opening. It's so helpful of Disney to remind us that even if they are up against total garbage people like Desantis, they are corporate scum themselves. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Eric Toretto said:

lmao

The fact that they're removing this + the Wakanda Forever music special...look, take off Artemis Fowl and do us all a favor, but leave those.

22 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Yeah it’s not doing well in China at all but I feel Disney’s marketing for this film has been a disaster. The posters look low budget, the trailers don’t seems to be a good representation of the film based on reviews. Which sucks because many people say it’s Disney best live action film… and before people start screaming China is racist Black Panther broke box office records in China when it was first released and Will Smith films always do exceptionally well in China and he actually did PSA’s for movie theaters in China. I blame Disney marketing for this mess. 

28 minutes ago, joselowe said:

Yeah it’s not doing well in China at all but I feel Disney’s marketing for this film has been a disaster. The posters look low budget, the trailers don’t seems to be a good representation of the film based on reviews. Which sucks because many people say it’s Disney best live action film… and before people start screaming China is racist Black Panther broke box office records in China when it was first released and Will Smith films always do exceptionally well in China and he actually did PSA’s for movie theaters in China. I blame Disney marketing for this mess. 

? what BO records did BP break in China. It wasn't even the highest grossing solo MC film in the market. Not even the highest grossing solo MCU film of that year. I'm not sure what Will Smith film did exceptional in China but I remember MIB3 did really well for its time.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Eh. Maybe but not like it once was... For example, the Super Mario Bros. Movie has a 3.5 there which is good. And, Cruella (I believe that's the most recent of these Disney live action adaptations) has a 3.6 there... I think as more and more users signed up, it's quite as much you're saying any longer.

Letterboxd is becoming more and more mainstream. It isn´t what it was say 2 years ago. In a couple of years it will be bigger than IMDb imo. At least for movies.

2 hours ago, Morieris said:

The fact that they're removing this + the Wakanda Forever music special...look, take off Artemis Fowl and do us all a favor, but leave those.

They…are leaving Howard. Reread the tweet again.

32 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

? what BO records did BP break in China. It wasn't even the highest grossing solo MC film in the market. Not even the highest grossing solo MCU film of that year. I'm not sure what Will Smith film did exceptional in China but I remember MIB3 did really well for its time.

In its fourth weekend, Black Panther opened in China ($66.5 million) with the fourth-highest MCU and superhero opening ever in the country. This included the biggest opening day and opening weekend ($7.3 million) of March for IMAX in China. As of April 8, 2018, the film's largest markets were China ($104.6 million), the United Kingdom ($67.7 million), and South Korea ($42.8 million).It became the fifth-highest-grossing MCU film of all time in other territories

15 minutes ago, joselowe said:

In its fourth weekend, Black Panther opened in China ($66.5 million) with the fourth-highest MCU and superhero opening ever in the country. This included the biggest opening day and opening weekend ($7.3 million) of March for IMAX in China. As of April 8, 2018, the film's largest markets were China ($104.6 million), the United Kingdom ($67.7 million), and South Korea ($42.8 million).It became the fifth-highest-grossing MCU film of all time in other territories

So it is basically nothing. A month-specific, IMAX-specific record is meaningless considering not many blockbusters open in march in China and IMAX was new and growing. BP performance in China was nothing special. In fact taking into account all MCU films released between 2015 and 2019 in China it was 2nd lowest (only beating GOTG2) though they all landed relatively close to each other for the non-CM solo films.

But considering BP outgrossed all of these OS except for CM and not by a small margin, the fact that it landed on the low end in China is kind of telling.

Edited by JustLurking

2 hours ago, Morieris said:

The Wakanda Forever music special is staying according to deadline, they have updated the list

• Like 2

I have to say i think this would get way better reviews if it was not compared to the original.

If this was an original movie, people would be amazed just like they were amazed by the animated one. As it is, it has an uphill battle just like BATB, Aladdin and all the others remakes.

Should this be judged as an original piece of film making and people not think of the animated one when they are viewing the movie? I don't think it's possible, but i'm sure there are people/kids who have not seen the animated one who'll enjoy this one

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I have to say i think this would get way better reviews if it was not compared to the original.

If this was an original movie, people would be amazed just like they were amazed by the animated one. As it is, it has an uphill battle just like BATB, Aladdin and all the others remakes.

Should this be judged as an original piece of film making and people not think of the animated one when they are viewing the movie? I don't think it's possible, but i'm sure there are people/kids who have not seen the animated one who'll enjoy this one

How can they consider it as "original" when its straight up retelling of a classic animation movie !!!! 

45 minutes ago, Maggie said:

but... it's not an original movie? So what's the point of this comment lol.