CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

12 minutes ago, straggler said:

Rth said about $30 million for X-Men on Friday so I'm going with that.  Will make $700 million on a $170 million budget. That's fine. 

Ain't making 700M unless it somehow has incredible WOM/reception in China.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bapi said:

Alice bombing and X-Men under 70m. That's very, very dissapointing. Don't understand why they didn't make X4 instead.

The prequel crew was under contract. Also, that is where the creative vision of Singer and Kinberg was. X4 would fare better, but it remains an open question how much better, especially if they relied on a generic plot and got bad reviews. 

The CW writers said that Marvel was done recapping old movies in the new ones. And that they were okay with loosing potential new viewers. 

“We had to make a decision early that we were OK losing virgin audience members,” Stephen McFeely, co-writer of “Civil War,” told TheWrap during a wide-ranging interview with writing partner Christopher Markus.

“If you don’t know some of these movies before you walk in you might be lost, but hopefully you’ll still be entertained,” McFreely said. “We can’t do a ‘previously in the Marvel Cinematic Universe,’ because it will take 25 minutes.”

http://www.thewrap.com/captain-america-civil-war-writers-marvel-newbies-catch-up-backstory/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MarvelandDC said:

The CW writers said that Marvel was done recapping old movies in the new ones.

When have they ever done that anyway? I can't seem to recall any occurrences...

We didn't have Thursday previews so Apocalypse's Friday numbers will be very small compared to Saturday. Still not great. Did 13.4M here. Alice did $8.4M.

Shining spot was angry birds which only dropped lik 6% or so from last Friday and did $11.1M. Neighbors 2 also dropped lightly for a $4.8M Friday. Not a bad day, just not what it could have been.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, a2knet said:

DOFP did 2.57x of the 3-Day ow of 90.8m

If APOC does 2.4x of the 3-Day (68m), it will get 163m.

2.4x seems daunting with the reviews. Cinema Score is similar to the Last Stand. WOM might be subpar.

I don't view the MCU as a TV-show in movie form. Civil War is about as close as it gets but most of the movies have loose ties at best. There's a lot of stuff that is just tacked on. There's not really a lot of mystery to unfold or foreshadowing or depth to the characters that will later pay off in some way.

I should note that's not a knock on the movies. For the most part they are enjoyable, I just view them for what they are. A fun ride. I don't see them as Game of Thrones on the big screen. Everything is more surface level and that's all they need to be. Same goes for most.

Edited by Johnny Tran

26 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

2.4x seems daunting with the reviews. Cinema Score is similar to the Last Stand. WOM might be subpar.

Cinemascore doesn't matter and WOM doesn't seem to affect the X-franchise much. DOFP got stellar WOM and yet only did as much as it did.

Edited by Blackout