CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

13 minutes ago, department store basement said:

So where's all the people who claimed "Jennifer Lawrence is a box office draw" even after Joy? Do they still think she is now?

I think she's a draw.

People will not go see a movie just for her but when you can only see a few movies and you have to choose, good or popular actors can be a deciding factor. And Jennifer Lawrence is both.

Melissa McCarthy in comedies and perhaps Denzel Washington. But, economists have long observed little/no relationship between box office and movie stars. Like, on average, replacing an A-lister with a typical actor results in 16M more in domestic box office.

1 minute ago, johnboy3434 said:

I removed the multiplier since it's only for the three-day. It'll be somewhere around 2.62x for the four-day. Still unrealistic?

Last Stand had a 1.91x from the 4-day; DOPF was 2.11x. Yes, still unrealistic.

9 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

CW shows that there is a ceiling around these marvel flicks despite the great reviews. Good to keep that in mind while predicting GOTG2 next year.

Yeah Im lowering my prediction to 380m.

I removed the multiplier since it's only for the three-day. It'll be somewhere around 2.62x for the four-day. Still unrealistic?

Dude, what is your method? It will probably make less than 2x the 4-day weekend like every other x-men movie...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, johnboy3434 said:

I didn't include total domestic estimates for the two new releases in my daily projections because I wanted to wait until after the four-day weekend was over, but my "unofficial" estimates right now are $216M for X-Men and 79.5M for Alice.

Lol at $216M for X-men. That movie is crumbling the same way the Earth began to crumble in the film itself. I guess it was foreshadowing it's box office performance. 

Edited by Nova

7 minutes ago, johnboy3434 said:

Way too unrealistic. Memorial Day weekend openers don't normally go beyond a 2.2 from  the 4-day opening.

• Like 2

Just now, Johnny Tran said:

Sorry I'm not buying that people were all hyped up to go see Civil War in theaters and then a 480p leak came out and they watched it on their computer screen.

It was actually a 720p with great quality, but you do have a point there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

You haven't said anything that I haven't already said countless times.. X-MEN is simply played out and peaked in 2002 with X2 and in 2004, X3 Killed it causing FOX to correct a lot of shit from X3 with DOFP, but also, the general audience just doesn't give a shit about this new cast.. It's Patrick Stewert and Sir Ian McKellen or GTFO.. It's true..

X2 came out in 2003. X3 came out in 2006.

Snyder and WB really outdid themselves with this one and this is coming from someone who enjoyed BvS (it has flaws don't get me wrong!) and really liked Man of Steel. It had more presales than CW and a bigger Friday. The anticipation was there. All it needed was decent WOM and it would have FLEW past a billion. I think it would have beat out CW domestically too.

Now instead of Pepsi they are RC Cola. I hope SS is good and does well.

The Civil War and Angry Birds hysterical drops. The shitty as fuck openings for Alice 2 and X-Men. Amazing Memorial Day Weekend. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

488.gif

Do you doubt the brilliance of the Xmen movies ? Marvel movies are by the numbers , Xmen movies with their matrix-like outfits, their twilight- like acting , the time traveling aspect are pure art . :P

Whether people like it or not, the only studio that makes proper CBM is marvel and they have been rewarded for it by both the audience and the critics . 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

Melissa McCarthy in comedies and perhaps Denzel Washington. But, economists have long observed little/no relationship between box office and movie stars. Like, on average, replacing an A-lister with a typical actor results in 16M more in domestic box office.

I severely doubt if you have Viggo Mortensen or Mark Ruffalo or Kevin Bacon in The Revenant that it makes anywhere close to 100 mill.

• Like 10