CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

4 hours ago, RyneOh1040 said:

The newest trailer that was before X-Men made SS seem like the Harley Quinn show.  I totally get it because it looks like Margot knocked it out of the park and they're doing the solo film but the tone seemed quite different from the initial one.  I also read somewhere that there was reshoots because audience reaction was that it wasn't funny enough, did anyone else see that?

Nobody had seen it at that point outside of maybe a few executives. Ayer himself and other sources said that they did reshoots to add more action.  That Warner enjoyed the film and gave him more money to do so.  What's the real story?  who knows. Those guys over at Collider swear that the movie has always been a dark comedy and I would have thought that myself given Joker being in it and Harley Quinn. Both are comedy characters.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ThatOneGuy said:

Yet the fart/ass jokes made the movie the highest grossing X-Men movie and possible revolutionizing the superhero movie industry

I liked Deadpool but some people's trash is another person's treasure. Ass jokes can be funny but maybe they can be juvenile and fail to crack a smile.

• Like 1

I know off topic but summer box office is so far dead, and I've only liked two movies(Nice Guys and Neighbors 2) thought one was just alright(Money Monster). So I decided to instead watch some movies that I found at half price books and got a lot of goodies! So anyway I saw this one earlier. Pretty good movie, I really liked it. (Taken from my phone) so not the best quality.imagejpeg

58 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Does anyone want to make an ALICE 2 DOM UNDER ZOOTOPIA OW club? :ph34r:

What's the point? Clubs are usually made before a movie comes out. 

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, Baumer said:

What's the point? Clubs are usually made before a movie comes out. 

Yeah. I was just cheekily pointing to the fact that no one would have thought of such a thing before the movie came out but only after the release the club seems reasonable. :)

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

This is a sound theory. People forget that outside of summer and holidays the box office used to be low-key, often times pretty dead. People only go to see so many movies. If you're getting them to come out to more movies during those other seasons, chances are you're going to see more flops and disappointments during the so-called "prime" months out of the year. 

I'd say that maybe we're beginning to see the end of moviegoing in theaters as we know it, but every time people have said that in the past the box office has exploded soon after. 

The downward trend has been with us since 2003. There have only been four years since then that increased in ticket sales, 2006, 09, 12 and 15, but those peaks are getting lower and lower. 2015 was 40m behind 2012 which was 50m behind 2009.

• Like 1

What are the territories where X-MEN: APOCALYPSE has passed / will pass X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST?

It has already done it here in my country. lol

7.50 M X-MEN: APOCALYPSE

7.03 M X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST

• Like 5

But people always travel on Memorial Day. These things haven't changed for years. So why would it be an excuse this time? It just looks like to me that nobody has any real interest in the movies that are playing right now with the exception of maybe Jungle Book LOL

• Like 9

2 hours ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

I'd say based on the proof I just posted about the travel, then Yes.. Why would they lie about that article and even more importantly, why would you or anyone else care if that ended up being the reason which it was??? Cause it would make me right in the end for as much as you and everyone else mock the idea and now it's pretty well been confirmed..

"Proof"

"Confirmed"

:rofl:

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Baumer said:

But people always travel on Memorial Day. These things haven't changed for years. So why would it be an excuse this time?

Because this year, the non-sensical "people travel on Memorial Day, which cuts into the overall box office" excuse fits the "CW deserves to gross 600 million dollar in the US" narrative that BKB is trying to peddle.

;)

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 2

The box office is weak right now because the movies out leave much to be desired.

Alice Through the Looking Glass had no marketing campaign and is unwanted.

X-Men - Apocalypse is bloated. 

Neighbors 2 is mediocre and like most comedy sequels, destined to decline from its predecessor

Nice Guys is niche 

Angry Birds came after Zootopia/JB/CW  so families are probably taking a break until Finding Dory

Money Monster is doing about what anyone would expect. 

If Hollywood released more decent movies with GA appeal, the BO would be better than it is now.

I think June and July leave more to be optimistic about. This month, CW (and AB to a small degree) are the only real success stories. June-July should see at least 5 success stories between the two of them.