CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Oh, I agree. But, what I think impacts this sequel is that it'll lack the curious viewer that came out to see the first in 2014. Folks now know what they're getting into and, with that, fewer will come out. My guess is that retains 2/3 or 3/4 of the DOM audiences that helped it to $190M+ DOM.

I hated the first one, but I'm curious to see this one. Might not even wait for home video.  Dimension X baby! 

3D breakdown for Alice

This time 3D contributed 41% to Alice 2‘s tally; broken down that’s 29% in traditional 3D, 11% Imax, and 1% whatever PLFs Disney could get their hands on.

Less than 4M from IMAX and PLF, pretty small numbers and it pretty much led to both Apocalypse not opening 5-7M higher and Civil War not holding better due to it monopolizing IMAX theaters.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I doubt they've overestimated by $5m looking at the daily numbers.

Yup, the increases and decreases are completely within reasonable percentages. Won't drop 5M with actuals.

Wow that's pretty disterous numbers there.   Yes it's Memorial Day Weekend with millions of people travelling acrossing the country but people still go to the movies.   X-Men pretty much only held serve.  It's not going to increase over DOFP.  And it's definitely not going to make more than "Deadpool".  Yes overseas it's had a nice start but I don't see it making up the gap.  Lucky for X-men it won't be the biggest story this weekend.  That would be Alice 2 losing what looks to be 70% + of it's audience in 6 years.  Yes Johnny also has a controversy of his own right now but those numbers are beyond horrible.  The first film had over 100 Million OW.  Even with Burton not coming back I felt it should of gotten over 60-70 OW.  But less than 30? Really? As for people saying "It's a sequel nobody wanted", How?  The last film made a Billion.  No studio has a film make that type of money and don't consider a sequel.  

Now 6 years might of been too long of a wait.  Should of came out 3-4 Years later probably.  But these numbers are terrible.  Johnny has had a string flops recently and it seems "Pirates V" is going to be his firewall.  Outside of "Into the Woods" which was more a supporting role.  Johnny films haven't done that great in the last 5 years since the last Pirates.   With that said in defense of Johnny career, he wasn't breaking the box office apart eariler in the his career.  But after the string of hits he's had, expectations for him are thorugh the roof always.  As for the rest, "Angry Birds" is quietly doing pretty good.  "Civil War" is still dropping but that's a decent hold.  400 is in reach but it's droppping fast.  "Zootopia" and "Jungle Book" are just both on victory runs so everything now is just icing on the cake. . 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Macleod said:

And on the topic of more money for script rewrites:

Yes. It. Can.  Do I need to quote the innumerable examples in Hollywood history?  (Green Lantern being just one of the most exploited debacles.)

You're assuming I was talking about script rewrites. I was talking about paying someone to write a better script. From scratch.

45 minutes ago, grim22 said:

3D breakdown for Alice

This time 3D contributed 41% to Alice 2‘s tally; broken down that’s 29% in traditional 3D, 11% Imax, and 1% whatever PLFs Disney could get their hands on.

Less than 4M from IMAX and PLF, pretty small numbers and it pretty much led to both Apocalypse not opening 5-7M higher and Civil War not holding better due to it monopolizing IMAX theaters.

Is there a reason these studios  hog all the IMAX screens with movies that aren't making money?  I know there's contracts and stuff but you'd think some one somewhere would see a turd coming and be able to change things. 

4 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

Unfortunately, it'll be even less. :( Given the legs, though we are looking at like 150M.

Yea I'm also thinking 150-160 now. Next weekend will be sort of meh, as I don't expect Turtles to break out. June 10 will be interesting, but we won't have a giant hit until the 17th (unless you count Warcraft's China #s or Conjuring 2's opening).

Just now, eddyxx said:

Is there a reason these studios  hog all the IMAX screens with movies that aren't making money?  I know there's contracts and stuff but you'd think some one somewhere would see a turd coming and be able to change things. 

I'm pretty sure they were under contract by Disney to show it and it was up to them to pull the plug on it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eddyxx said:

Its more of a slate deal - with Disney if the theaters don't play Alice, they don't get Avengers or Star Wars.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

4-day weekend, mind you. And its budget isn't exactly small.

Yea no for sure. I'm not trying to put a spin on the box office that isn't there of course :P

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Its more of a slate deal - with Disney if the theaters don't play Alice, they don't get Avengers or Star Wars.

Just WB went all like "Show Tarzan or you don't get Batman v Superman or Fantastic Beasts!". 

Just now, Mango said:

It's crazy how rare an IMAX release used to be compared to today. These days any old tentpole will get one.

Well, it's only because there are a lot of IMAX-branded screens. Not exactly a mystery.