CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

1 minute ago, DAR said:

And once again regarding critics, it does not behoove them to prop up or keep down any particular film.  But if some want to keep dredging up that particular argument feel free.

I blame the gaming community.

Look at how these fanboys freak out at IGN whenever they give an anticipated console exclucive game an 8 instead of a 9 or 10.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, straggler said:

With x-men I'll wait for actuals. Anything near 90 would be great. The critics worked very hard to bury the film. The frustration is that they took out their comic book fatigue on x-men which at least tries to have some substance as opposed to the latest cookie cutter MCU film which is where their cynicism really comes from. Has anyone ever had the slightest compulsion to rewatch an MCU film after maybe Iron Man 1? They are cinematic  cotton candy. Even when a xmen film misfires at least there is a real effort. Critics are a funny bunch. 

Are you kidding. IM1, Thor, TA1, GOTG and Ant Man are all extremely re-watchable. 

28 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Both had hilarious legs. BvS is the absolute definition of toxic WOM and besides the fanboys Civil War probably had some pretty bad WOM from everybody else.

I am ready to see Apocalypse having some really funny legs like pulling a 2.1x multiplier from the 3 day OW or some shit like that.

Nah, pretty sure nobody disliked Harry Potter movies and those always had bad legs. CW was just mad frontloaded. Probably a bit darker and slower for the typical family audiences (which Marvel clearly appeals to) to do repeat business.

And that's the thing w/most superhero destruction heavy blockbusters - they're getting big time frontloaded. There's a reason why the stranger ones like Deadpool and GOTG are much leggier.

• Like 8

Just now, filmlover said:

Are people back to blaming Marvel for everything?

Dramallama01.jpg

Marvel somehow made BvS even worse. I don't know how and every excuse I can think of sounds stupid, but I believe it.

• Like 2

Removing 8.1m previews from DOFP's OW and DOM, we get 102.48m 4-Day and 225.82m total.

225.82 = 2.20 * 102.48.

If X:A adds 2.00x (compared to DOFP's 2.20x) of it's OW-Previews to the rest of the run, it'll do 2.00 * (80-8.2) = 143.6m DOM-Previews or 143.6+8.2 = 151.8m DOM.

If the 4-day OW comes in even a little lower than 80m, say at 78-79m, sub-150m becomes more plausible.

Edit: If the 4-day is 75-77m, sub-150m is nearly certain.

Edited by a2knet

Fox reports this morning that X-Men: Apocalypse scored an estimated opening day of $26.4 million on Friday, including Thursday night’s $8.2 million start. As expected, the sequel proved noticeably more front-loaded to its early shows as the film came in 26 percent below the $35.5 million opening day of Days of Future Past on the same Memorial Weekend two years ago (despite Apocalypse opening at $8.2 million versus DOFP‘s $8.1 million on Thursday). The cause of this is undoubtedly mixed reviews (currently 48 percent on Rotten Tomatoes) and comparatively lukewarm word of mouth (74 percent on Flixster versus DOFP’s 95 percent one day after release). All told, Apocalypse looks to unfortunately fall short of pre-release industry and studio expectations as it heads toward a $61 million three-day weekend and $74 million for the Memorial four-day frame.

src http://pro.boxoffice.com/early-weekend-estimates-x-men-apocalypse-culls-61m74m-3-day4-day-memorial-weekend-launch-alice-looking-glass-eyes-31m40m/

44 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Apocalypse really hit Civil War hard - the 4th Friday number for it is below the 4th Friday number for Winter Soldier. Only a 93% jump from Thursday as well.

Alice took IMAX plus regular 3D screens and that would have hurt too. 

1 minute ago, pieman said:

I'm just glad that a superhero movie is failing at the box office.

Any guesses on what Alice's total might be?

It'll squeak past 100M if remotely lucky. There's a possibility it won't even, given how its OD was on par w/Tomorrowland's. And for all people shit on Tomorrowland, its WOM was Godlike compared to Alice 2's (at least as of right now).

4 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

It'll squeak past 100M if remotely lucky. There's a possibility it won't even, given how its OD was on par w/Tomorrowland's. And for all people shit on Tomorrowland, its WOM was Godlike compared to Alice 2's (at least as of right now).

People hated Tomorrowland. I actually think Alice will hold up better in that regard. Families on the weekend might also help more.

Edited by pieman

32 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

Civil War is doing fine. Most people over predicted and under predicted, some of us (without agendas) knew it wasn't going to make Avengers level money (which it will end up doing worldwide) but was going to exceed the last Cap big time.

Any movie that crosses $400m Dom and $1bn WW is fucking huge. One can say it could have made more but that doesn't make it disappointing in any logical way shape or form. Marvel's success is even getting boring to follow because they've basically become a license for Disney to print money.

Im disappointed in that X-men opening though, I expected a lot more but heck.

Stop making sense.

They hates it.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

Very disappointing, really. It's likely not going to make in four days what DOFP did in three. Only made less of a shock by the early critical drubbing.

Seeing it today at 330, can't wait!

5 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

Is it ok to blame piracy yet? Or is that already out of fashion?

When does Apocalypse hit China? We'll get one of those ultra clear recordings from them about two days later. 

Then we blame piracy.

A cropped HD WebRip will come out in about a month or so, too.

Edited by AJG

52 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Both had hilarious legs. BvS is the absolute definition of toxic WOM and besides the fanboys Civil War probably had some pretty bad WOM from everybody else. 

I am ready to see Apocalypse having some really funny legs like pulling a 2.1x multiplier from the 3 day OW or some shit like that.

This is absolute nonsense. 

• Like 10