La Binoche

Weekend #s June 3-5: TMNT2 35.25m, X:A 22.3m, MBY 18.27m, Alice 10.69m, Birds 9.775m

7 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

Absolutely awful for Turtles and definitely a win for MBY.  A popular book plus very smart leads is going to lead to a big win for the studio.

In regards to the rest of the summer, the ONLY sequels I think have a shot at outgrossing their predecessors are Conjuring 2 and Dory.  The Conjuring will be going off a lot of good will from the first and early reviews seem to indicate this is on par with the first.  Dory will win the summer.  I'm not trying to sound crazy but I think theres an OUTSIDE shot of 500.  400 seems the floor to me (I know that will get some backlash) but I think it and the Incredibles are the only Pixar films people are really excited to see a sequel for. Secret Life of Pets could obviously squash Dory's changes of going atmospheric if it doesn't have a huge rush but I think it will.  It's a true 4 quadrant film.

The one thing I'm really confused on is people thinking Independence Day will pass the original.  The trailers have been really poor and every time I see it before a film (including last night before Turtles) I feel like there's no audience reaction.  It's just shit blowing up with terrible one liners.  Goodblum helps but I just can't see this being a big hit and would legitimately not be surprised if it doesn't out open the original.  Seems like a 150 grosser to me.

It's a dumb popcorn flick though, like Jurassic World. From a well liked classic summer movie, and people do want to see the cast again. I think you're wayyy off. 150m is the floor (imo)

I'm currently predicting 98m OW/ 360m DOM for Independence Day Resurgence.

Edited by babz06

4 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

The one thing I'm really confused on is people thinking Independence Day will pass the original.  The trailers have been really poor and every time I see it before a film (including last night before Turtles) I feel like there's no audience reaction.  It's just shit blowing up with terrible one liners.  Goodblum helps but I just can't see this being a big hit and would legitimately not be surprised if it doesn't out open the original.  Seems like a 150 grosser to me.

Exactly, waiting 20 years for a 200M sequel to a movie that is NOT considered a classic is suicide, and ID2 will be lucky to gross 150M domestically.

• Like 1

Just now, babz06 said:

It's a dumb popcorn flick though, like Jurassic World. From a well liked classic summer movie, and people do want to see the cast again. I think you're wayyy off. 150m is the floor (imo)

I'm currently predicting 98m OW/ 360m DOM for Independence Day Resurgence.

Oh, please, don't say that the Roland Emmerich-directed 1998's Independence Day is as beloved as Spielberg's 1993's Jurrasic Park.

• Like 1

The Think Pieces are coming, the think pieces are coming ...

As I already said, everything is set for Suicide Squad to break out, if it s good, it will be seen as the only fresh blockbuster of the summer after a string of disapointing, redundant sequels.

My Club is fucked.

:ohmyzod:

4 minutes ago, babz06 said:

I'm currently predicting 87m OW/ 340m DOM for Independence Day Resurgence.

maybe but i don't see that at all.  JW had everything going for it.   I don't think you can put ID and the JW series in the same category AT ALL.  JP is a modern classic, ID is not (it is exactly what you descried a dumb popcorn flick and i'm not downplaying that sometimes thats great).  Chris Hemsworth is also the exact opposite of Chris Pratt.  JW had really solid trailers and there was a ton of buzz.  I haven't seen that at all for ID.  Again, we'll just have to wait.  But I'm not buying that because the first film was a hit 20 years ago people want another.

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, zenithtim said:

Oh, please, don't say that the Roland Emmerich-directed 1998's Independence Day is as beloved as Spielberg's 1993's Jurrasic Park.

I don't think that. But they air this film on tv  rotation every Fourth of July. It's like a national past time. 

Just now, cannastop said:

Not nearly as Iconic as Jurassic Park, I'll tell you that much.

I was 15 when Independence Day came out. I'm going to be there opening weekend for this one. You can bet your ass on that one.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

I was 15 when Independence Day came out. I'm going to be there opening weekend for this one. You can bet your ass on that one.

OK, stop the presses! This guy is hyped for a movie! HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

• Like 1

Just now, cannastop said:

I guess I forgot about Maleficent. Was she really the draw thee, though?

Considering the whole marketing campaign was built around the image of her as an iconic Disney villain, yeah.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Are we really arguing that Independence Day isn't considered iconic? lol. And I only like the movie.

maybe not that it's not iconic but it's nowhere NEAR the level of classic of JP.

Edited by RyneOh1040