La Binoche

Weekend #s June 3-5: TMNT2 35.25m, X:A 22.3m, MBY 18.27m, Alice 10.69m, Birds 9.775m

I still beileve Warcraft has the dynamique to surprise.It has very positive word of mouth coming from Europe.

Bad reviews will hurt it but NOT as much as some people think, there are many*(me included) that are quite sceptic about reviews on fantasy movies, for some reason most of them are laguhable(positive or negative).THat being said i am not talking about a 'BIG' opening, but deffo higher than the 25mil  most predictions sites tell

Just now, Rentaro1989 said:

I still beileve Warcraft has the dynamique to surprise.It has very positive word of mouth coming from Europe.

Bad reviews will hurt it but NOT as much as some people think, there are many*(me included) that are quite sceptic about reviews on fantasy movies, for some reason most of them are laguhable(positive or negative).THat being said i am not talking about a 'BIG' opening, but deffo higher than the 25mil  most predictions sites tell

it will open 35M+ imo.

Turtles could do between $32-$35 million OW, I'm just hoping for it to make $100 million domestic from now on. I hope it holds strong this weekend and we get something actually strong next weekend.

2 minutes ago, Rentaro1989 said:

I'm thinking s 23/55 domestic run. Which will be obsolete since the movie will do 500M+ OS.

13 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Anyone else have a 2nd run theatre by them where movies go to die before heading off to Blu-Ray/Piracy Land???

We have a few of these here in the UK - I don't go to any of them though. A friend of mine went to see BvS in one a few weeks ago :sadben:

6 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

When TRUMP becomes President and I bring you to America, we'll go see a movie at a 2nd run theatre complete with bringing our own beer and go see a LIVE WWE Event(though I haven't really watched it all that much lately, except for Rollins coming back and the writers not knowing what to do with him)..

I want Trump to become president. I hate Bernie and I hate Hilliary.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

When TRUMP becomes President and I bring you to America, we'll go see a movie at a 2nd run theatre complete with bringing our own beer and go see a LIVE WWE Event(though I haven't really watched it all that much lately, except for Rollins coming back and the writers not knowing what to do with him)..

I haven't watched much recently as well. Kinda curious with the brand split announcement to see who they are gonna send to Smackdown.

CIVIL WAR needs roughly 16M or so to reach 400M. I'd honestly be more than happy when it reaches that and stalls out, then hits the 2nd run theatre 2 minutes from me.. No shit.. I'm within walking distance of this theatre... You can bring your own beer in and 0 fucks are given.. I'm looking forward to it.. Sure, it's no IMAX 2D, but the screen and sound are still pretty stellar for $5.00 every day, every evening... Hell, I'm surprised in 2016, 2nd run theatres still exist in some markets??? Anyone else have a 2nd run theatre by them where movies go to die before heading off to Blu-Ray/Piracy Land???

None by me. $5 for a second run seems expensive. That is the day time price by all of theaters near my parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, with the $12.5 million estimate from Friday, the streak dating back to 1990 will continue: Every Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie has opened #1 in North America.  Of course, 1993's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III and 2007's TMNT are the lowest grossing movies in the franchise.  Using the Box Office Mojo adjusted-for-inflation TMNT chart, Out of the Shadows would need $67.5 million to reach TMNT's 2016 equivalent, and $87.6 million to reach Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III's equivalent.  If the current estimates hold, Out of the Shadows should be able to surpass the TMNT animated movie, but can it reach the third New Line movie?

• Like 1

Sequels will not die. Dumping on what you may consider bad movies won't equate to a greater influx of good movies or higher budgets for good movies. Good movies exist all the time, but they just aren't necessarily Box Office killers. Some are, but most aren't. Sing Street is a wonderful movie that has made 2.9 dom, and it had great RT critic acclaim. Examining just one studio over the last three years... Nice Guys has over 90% on RT, though I didn't think it was that great, and it probably won't make back its budget.  Mad Max last year had an amazing RT score, a huge budget, a well-liked director, a well-liked cast, and eventually multiple AA nominations and wins...and it probably had a hard time getting its budget back, if even. Edge of Tomorrow in 2014 had a larger budget, great reviews, considered by many as under-watched, and probably didn't make its budget back. I'm surprised the industry does not fully concentrate on thrillers, horrors, and animation.

21 minutes ago, John Marston said:

the studio is definitely disappointed. Expect some shake ups for the next one. 

That's some time away. They have 5 spin-offs planned currently (Wolverine 3, Deadpool 2, X-Force, New Mutants and Gambit) which are more than enough movies from this cinematic universe for the next 2-3 years. Some shake ups would happen by then regardless.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Yeah everyone knows Disney totally butchered Spider-man, Iron Man, Cap, Black Panther, GotG, etc :apocalypse:

They got Spider-Man correct. BP is ok. Cap is nearly there. Iron Man has been butchered in comparison to the first movie which was the most accurate, but even then they don't have classic Tony (60s, 70s, 80s). He's not even the 90s Tony. The current comic version seems more like an adaptation of the movie version. As for GotG, I'm probably one of the few fans that loved them prior to even the announcement of their movie. The 90s version w/ Valentino doing the art was one of my favorites as a kid. The DnA run, which was the only thing I liked about Marvel comics for a while, has some Easter Eggs in the film like Cosmo and Knoowhere, but the characters, imo, are very diferent from their comic counterparts...especially if you compare them to their classic renditions. Marvel Studios has done a great job dressing up characterization and fun in the super-hero clothing of their IPs, but I'd say Fox X-Men films and WB DC films have drawn from the source material more closely...just unfortunately, I'm not sure the GA appreciate or understand that.  Also, Marvel Studios has much better CGI use and action scenes.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, a2knet said:

CW is looking at 7.5-7.7m weekend opposed to 8.4 of IM3. Gap will decrease by 0.7-0.9m but at least it's reasonable. Last weekend it lost 4m over 4-days. Weekdays it's been matching IM3. Has a shot at beating it imo, especially if Disney wants it to.

Not a snowballs chance in hell. IM3 had -30% hold next weekend and 25% 3 from now. The drops are going to be a lot harsher and lose ground faster with competition and theater loss 

My 3-day weekend projections.

1. TMNT: Out of the Shadows - $32.7m
  2. X-Men: Apocalypse - $22.7m
  3. Me Before You - $19.1m
  4. Alice Through The Looking Glass - $11.6m
  5. The Angry Birds Movie - $9.8m
  6. Captain America: Civil War - $7.5m
  7. Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping - $4.6m
  8. Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising - $4.4m
  9. The Jungle Book - $4.3m
  10. The Nice Guys - $3.2m (Which I'm finally seeing today!)
  • Like 3

My weekend projections for the four new wide releases, based on Friday estimates...

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows

Saturday: $9.7M (-22.4%)

Sunday: $7.47M (-23%)

OPENING WEEKEND TOTAL: $29.7M

Me Before You

Saturday: $6.26M (-19.2%)

Sunday: $3.61M (-42.4%)

OPENING WEEKEND TOTAL: $17.6M

Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping

Saturday: $1.59M (-10.4%)

Sunday: $1.05M (-33.6%)

OPENING WEEKEND TOTAL: $4.41M

Love & Friendship

Saturday: $936k (+53.5%)

Sunday: $674k (-28%)

WIDE OPENING WEEKEND TOTAL: $2.22M

EDIT: I forgot to indicate what films I'm using as models for the drops. I'm using Pixels, If I Stay, Grandma's Boy, and Chef, respectively.

Edited by johnboy3434
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

They got Spider-Man correct. BP is ok. Cap is nearly there. Iron Man has been butchered in comparison to the first movie which was the most accurate, but even then they don't have classic Tony (60s, 70s, 80s). He's not even the 90s Tony. The current comic version seems more like an adaptation of the movie version. As for GotG, I'm probably one of the few fans that loved them prior to even the announcement of their movie. The 90s version w/ Valentino doing the art was one of my favorites as a kid. The DnA run, which was the only thing I liked about Marvel comics for a while, has some Easter Eggs in the film like Cosmo and Knoowhere, but the characters, imo, are very diferent from their comic counterparts...especially if you compare them to their classic renditions. Marvel Studios has done a great job dressing up characterization and fun in the super-hero clothing of their IPs, but I'd say Fox X-Men films and WB DC films have drawn from the source material more closely...just unfortunately, I'm not sure the GA appreciate or understand that.  Also, Marvel Studios has much better CGI use and action scenes.

BP is okay? Cap is nearly there?

Most Marvel fans absolutely love the MCU version of these characters.

Those dissatisfied with these two are in the minority.

Iron Man in MCU is one of the most successful comic book characters of all time. Are you absolutely certain the classic Errol Flynn version would've been more popular with audiences? 

Are you guys suggesting WB, Sony and Fox would do much better with these characters? lmao.

12 hours ago, johnboy3434 said:

Because if the movie in question looks like one that you might like, Cinemascore is a good indicator of whether or not you will like it. Its applications beyond that might be limited, but it doesn't really need an application beyond that.

But every big blockbuster is practically a B+ or A-.  Why not Flixter, IMDb, or Metacritic user if you want to see what audience members thought?  

Cinemascore is a really flawed scoring method.  More than usual

• Like 1