La Binoche

Weekend #s June 3-5: TMNT2 35.25m, X:A 22.3m, MBY 18.27m, Alice 10.69m, Birds 9.775m

Just now, CJohn said:

Breh, Ultron cost 250M. Civil War also cost 250M lol. 

Ultron cost $280m+ after tax credits.  Maybe closer to $300m.  CW's budget really hasn't been discussed anywhere by Marvel, it just has that number floating around like Apoc was at $234m before it became $178m a week ago (winkwinknudgenudge) and BvS at $250m even though Variety is now saying $300m+

There's no reason CW should cost near AOU.  It did some filming in Berlin but everything else except some additional photography was done in Atlanta.  AOU filmed in South Korea, Italy and Johannesberg in addition to the UK and had a shoot that was a couple of months longer.  Even RDJ's back end is less on CW than AOU.  Raises in salaries for the principles like Evans are countered by not having to pay Hemsworth & Ruffalo and paying Renner for a couple of weeks and not several months.  The Russos are probbaly also cheaper than Whedon.

More importanly kowhite mentioned it cost considerably less and I'll go with him. :P

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Recent predictions after the second trailer and tv spots went higher 

There red were ads close to release showing off all the heroes like the Avengers ads.

iron Man/Downey is the biggest draw in the Marvel Universe

Many Early tweets claimed this is "the Avengers 2 that people wanted"

If it was just a movie with Cap, Bucky, Widow and some Cap villain, it might have increased over WS, but it wouldn't have sniffed 400m

I had it for an increase to about $300m pre IM announcement, and around $400m after. So I agree he was a huge addition though some were claiming RDJ and IM fatigue and he wouldn't add that much especially after IM3 and AOU were supposed let downs. (heh)  IM was heavily featured in the first trailer and the SuperBowl Ad so they weren't hiding him and he was in all the printed materials side by side or face to face with Captain America.   

Even after the second trailer there were many saying it wouldn't break $400m so saying the perception was that it would act as a third Avenger film and best AOU numbers is kind of bull.

5 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Popstar is a damn shame but it's no surprise. Hod Rod was a cult movie in the making and this will be as well. All 10 people at the matinee today were cackling. 

They should have opened it smalller, targeted bigger cities and hoped it would build through WOM.  Just tossing it out there to die makes little sense.  Major studios seem to have forgotten how to release anything that isn't an immediate wide release.  Ant they've killed or undercut most of their specialty arms.

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

OH FFS

Sorry, Rose McGowan, but I am calling you out on your BS.

I don't believe for a second that a nine-year old said, " Dad, why is that monster man committing violence against a woman?" Sorry. Nope. That sounds like something a thirtysomething woman would say (minus the "dad" part).

I am a woman and we all know that I can be quite SJW-ish sometimes, but that billboard is nothing...nothing. There are real atrocities being committed against real women, and there are more pressing matters pertaining women being excluded from movies and from the pop culture narrative.

Like LaBinoche said, if that had been Cyclops or Wolverine being strangled, nobody would bat an eye.

The trailers for the film had Apocalypse holding a screaming-in-pain Prof. X in his grip and slamming him against a wall.

Would that be considered casual violence against a man?

Gimme a break.

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 8

FYI Universal has teamed up with one of the theater chains for a special summer giveaway and part of it is promotion for their summer movies (Neighbors 2, Warcraft, Purge, Secret Life of Pets, Jason Bourne) but Popstar wasn't one of them. Seems to me like they knew it wasn't going to make much a long time ago.

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

I've been on call the last couple of days and had the opportunity to head to the theaters to watch something, but instead I decided to stay home and watch the Apu trilogy for the first time. Pretty happy with my decision. 

i watched the first one for the first time like two months ago. liked it (especially the actresses playing the girl and the mother) but didn't feel compelled to continue.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

i watched the first one for the first time like two months ago. liked it (especially the actresses playing the girl and the mother) but didn't feel compelled to continue.

I pretty much loved all three. But yeah, they're not for all tastes. I really dug Ray's empathy towards all the characters -- he doesn't let anyone get defined into obvious stereotypical roles. 

The mom was fantastic, agreed. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I've been on call the last couple of days and had the opportunity to head to the theaters to watch something, but instead I decided to stay home and watch the Apu trilogy for the first time. Pretty happy with my decision. 

I'm seeing Me Before You with my wife tomorrow. Hopefully it's not too sappy.

15 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Sorry, Rose McGowan, but I am calling you out on your BS.

I don't believe for a second that a nine-year old said, " Dad, why is that monster man committing violence against a woman?" Sorry. Nope. That sounds like something a thirtysomething woman would say (minus the "dad" part).

I am a woman and we all know that I can be quite SJW-ish sometimes, but that billboard is nothing...nothing. There are real atrocities being committed against real women, and there are more pressing matters pertaining women being excluded from movies and from the pop culture narrative.

Like LaBinoche said, if that had been Cyclops or Wolverine being strangled, nobody would bat an eye.

The trailers for the film had Apocalypse holding a screaming-in-pain Prof. X in his grip and slamming him against a wall.

Would that be considered casual violence against a man?

Gimme a break.

Seriously, this is some insane bullshit call that only the 21st century could make possible. Viva la globalización! :ph34r: 

Also, lol @ the "CW being a cap 2 sequel vs avengers sequel" discussion... for the 5th straight week-end :rofl:

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

I pretty much loved all three. But yeah, they're not for all tastes. I really dug Ray's empathy towards all the characters -- he doesn't let anyone get defined into obvious stereotypical roles. 

The mom was fantastic, agreed. 

Pather Panchali is classic, the other 2 are okay IMO. If you love Satyajit Ray, I would recommend the movies of Guru Dutt, especially Pyaasa, Kaagaz Ke Phool and Saheb, Biwi aur Ghulam (and then Mr. & Mrs. 55 to end on an upbeat note after your emotions have been taken through the wringer by the first 3 movies)

• Like 2