FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates - FD: $136.2M, CI: $34.5M, TC2: $15.56M, NYSM2: $9.65M, Flopcraft: $6.52M

2 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Dude, films opening that large don't usually get a 3 multiplier!! It's rare. Tdk, TFA, TA,JW. Those were freaks of nature.

Dory's animated though, and reception seems very good. It should at least have a 3X multiplier.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

That was six years ago. TS3's legs weren't considered amazing, either.

They were pretty good, though. Especially with $100M+ grossers opening every week over the following five weeks (something that Dory is unlikely to face).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Dude, films opening that large don't usually get a 3 multiplier!! It's rare. Tdk, TFA, TA,JW. Those were freaks of nature.

But animated films tend to be leggier than tentpoles, so a 3x is fairly standard. 

TS3 and Shrek 2 managed a 3x, and I expect Dory to do the same. 

3.5x is up in the air, but definitely plausible.

4x will most likely not happen. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I never buy competition arguments.

Sometimes it's obvious when competition strikes another movie down. Remember when Epic dropped by nearly 3/4's whenever Monsters University opened three years ago (something we'll likely see with Angry Birds this weekend)? And indicated that the former was mostly making money by default.

• Like 4

Damn! Fantastic start for Dory

I worked a 13hr shift so I'm just waking up to these numbers lol

It's about time that turd of a movies animation OW record went down. 

Good OW for CI as well. The Rock strikes again. 

5 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

TS3 legs weren't impressive? WWWOOOOWWW.

They were good, but not compared to some other animated films at the time.

HTTYD did a 5x. Tangled, 4.16x. Up, 4.3x. Ice Age, 4.72x. TS3 had better legs than a much-maligned SHREK sequel and MONSTERS V ALIENS.

That's what a big OW gives you.... stubbier legs.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

HTTYD did a 5x. Tangled, 4.16x. Up, 4.3x. Ice Age, 4.72x. TS3 had better legs than a much-maligned SHREK sequel and MONSTERS V ALIENS.

Which is why no one is screaming from the rooftops that Finding Dory is gonna match Zootopia or Frozen's multi

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Both Tangled and Ice Age (I assume you mean the third one) were five-day openers. And Dragon was a freak of nature (also helps that family competition was non-existent for nearly two months). I'll give you Up though.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1