FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates - FD: $136.2M, CI: $34.5M, TC2: $15.56M, NYSM2: $9.65M, Flopcraft: $6.52M

Reading through this thread now (arrived home from my week-long trip), but I just gotta say, speaking as someone who saw Nemo in theaters when he was seven: Dory isn't the event for our generation. None of us knew we wanted a Nemo sequel. The biggest film for our generation this decade is TFA, because prequels were in theaters when we were kids and thus, we grew up with the OT being big DVD movies. Even speaking with animated movies, Toy Story 3 was a bigger deal (namely because it was jokingly promised in the outtakes of Toy Story 2).

That said, still hyped to see Dory.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, The Pandaren said:

Most PG-13 movies should be PG, and most PG movies should be G.  There's also a fair number of R movies that should be PG-13.

If the only MPAA was reasonable with their ratings. In some alternate universe they probably are.  

Saw both Dory and CI.

Thought Dory might actually be an improvement on Nemo. It's silly, and full of plot holes, and what not, but none of that really matters because they really sold the frustration of Dory's character and ways she and the people around her have overcome it. All the side-characters were lovable and the animation was top notch. Piper was an amazingly animated short as well.

CI impressed more than I thought it would. This could've used more marketing because it had the potential to sell a lot more tickets. Also, if it went up against anything but Dory, it probably would've done a lot better. The action sequences were really well choreographed too. Not Captain America good, but approaching Deadpool/Kingsman level, which isn't what I expected.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, department store basement said:

They also stopped being kids movies.

Pixar, on the other hand, will likely never make movies that aren't for kids. ESPECIALLY not sequels to their previous movies. If they make a film directed at older audiences they won't put it under their label (look at how Sausage Party isn't under the Sony Pictures Animation brand despite being made by them).

Actually they usually make movies for everyone, Cars 2 aside, but I would interested to see what a pg-13 Pixar film would be like. I imagine it would be quite intense and more violence then they're usually films.

• Like 1

Listening to the Nemo soundtrack for the first time all the way through while reading this thread. Really lovely, excited to hear what Newman cooked up for Dory on Monday

Tomorrow, I might take my father to see Raiders of the Lost Ark on the big screen. Waiting for Monday for Dory seemed worthwhile if I could do Raiders as well

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

This.

Zootopia is a great movie but no way is it the best American animated film of all time. Most of the early Disney stuff blows it away.

The Lion King would be a very good contender for that title though and so would Toy Story.

• Like 1

Zootopia is good, but it isn't great.  The honest thing is that 90% of kids movies are going to make big money.  Only a few select ones will fail, but you have to be pretty bad to make less than $100m and most will make $150m+

Anything good is making $300m or more at this point.  

9 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Zootopia is good, but it isn't great.  The honest thing is that 90% of kids movies are going to make big money.  Only a few select ones will fail, but you have to be pretty bad to make less than $100m and most will make $150m+

Anything good is making $300m or more at this point.  

Not sure about that. Remember when Penguins of Madagascar made only 83m?

How An Unexpected Cameo Became The Funniest Joke In ‘Finding Dory’

At a recent “Finding Dory” press screening, the movie’s biggest laughs occurred the first time Sigourney Weaver announced herself. The specificity of her name, coupled with the knowledge that most kids will have no idea why their parents are chuckling at her presence, makes this recurring joke shine. By the time Dory is referring to her as “my friend Sigourney,” it’s become the movie’s signature gag. Sigourney Weaver is a character, but only in the eyes of these fish.

In a sense, it’s amazing the joke exists at all. The film’s creators were convinced it wouldn’t make the final cut. Thinking it might be too “weird,” they kept waiting for one of their Pixar associates to tell them to nix the bit from the script.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/finding-dory-sigourney-weaver_us_5761c3bae4b09c926cfe19cf

giphy.gif

• Like 1