WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 96): Dory 73M | IDR 41M | CI 18.2M | Shallows 16.8M | Conjuring 7.7M | Jones 7.6M

1 minute ago, IMojammer said:

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/box-office-finding-dory-independence-day-resurgence-opening-1201803287/

67  weekend for Dory, nothing specific for Friday though.

Same estimates for the openers as deadline

Again, I fail to see how that is remotely possible. Me thinks Deadline and Variety are just pulling typical second weekend drops out of their butt w/o a Friday number and w/o paying attention to Dory's weekdays. 

• Like 1

Apart from Will Smith the original had decent writing as well. Goldblum trying to win back his ex-wife and his relationship with his dad were engaging enough and the president's speech is about as iconic as any of the big destruction scenes.

Not planning on seeing this but I'm guessing the character beats don't work nearly as well here

23 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Lmfao, people were predicting 400+? Seriously, that's insane to me. Regardless, IDR squeaking past 100 would still be a mega disappointment like you say. And it's unlikely to happen either. Multi will be 2x bad and I doubt that OW stays above 45. 

From the Summer Game (all names stripped because I'm not interested in that):

(spoilered for length)

Spoiler

Independence Day: Resurgence $450M
Independence Day 2:  430M
Independence Day: Resurgence - 433.2m

Independence Day: Resurgence $356m
Independence Day 2 – 330
Independence Day: Resurgence - 318m
Independence Day: Resurgane- 310.4M
Independence Day: Resurgence 306m
Independence Day Resurgence - 300 M
INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE  300 M 

Independence Day - $297M

Independence Day -  295m
Independence Day R - 295
Independence Day: Resurgence 292m
ID:R – 282m
Independence Day: Resurgence – $280M
Independence Day: Resurgence $267,000,000
Independence Day 2 255m
Independence Day 2 - 250 m
Independence Day: Resurgence - $241m
Independence Day: 217M
Independence Day: Resurgence: 240M
ID42- 238
Independence Day:Resurgance: 225 million.
Independence Day: Roland's Reckoning 215
Independence Day Resurgence - 215 M
Independence Day: Resurgence - 215M
Independence Day - $210m
Independence Day: Resurgence – 208M
Independence Day: Resurgence- 205m

Independence Day: Resurgence - 192.7m
Independence Day: Resurgence - $190M
Independence Day: Resurgence $185M
Independence Day Resurgence: 180M
Independence Day 2 - 176M
Independence Day - 150M
Independence Day 2 150m 
Independence Day: Resurgence – 138M

Independence Day: Resurgence - $92M

For the record:

400+: 3

300+: 7

200+: 20 (250+: 9)

100+: 8 (150+: 7)

Sub 100: 1

And I'm fairly sure some of those predicts were adjusted downward as the deadline approached as the overall "meh" reactions were building.

Now when the lack of presales and the lack of press screenings hit this last couple of weeks, the predictions in various threads nosedived.  THAT'S when the sub 150 predicts came out in force.  And maybe even one or two sub 100s.  But as of a couple of months ago, most people were still saying 200+ for this movie.  Which still would have been pretty bad, IMO.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

62M off a 17.4M Thursday? That would imply what, a 20M Friday? 15% increase, that'd be. C'mon now, Deadline. Dory will experience AT LEAST a 40% increase (Minions and Inside Out for example both had 50%+ increases). If it performs alas Jurassic World, it'll increase a whopping 60%. Dory is going 70M+ this weekend.

I still hold there is nothing "iconic" about the original ID4, which is a huge reason this sequel was never going to work as a nostalgia hit. The first is a total product of it's time, a true example of a movie that would have never been half as successful if released in any other era. It's the definition of a standalone success. I don't even think audiences would have cared about IDR in 2000. Again, its popularity is forever stuck in '96. 

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

From the Summer Game (all names stripped because I'm not interested in that):

(spoilered for length)

Hide contents

Independence Day: Resurgence $450M
Independence Day 2:  430M
Independence Day: Resurgence - 433.2m

Independence Day: Resurgence $356m
Independence Day 2 – 330
Independence Day: Resurgence - 318m
Independence Day: Resurgane- 310.4M
Independence Day: Resurgence 306m
Independence Day Resurgence - 300 M
INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE  300 M 

Independence Day - $297M

Independence Day -  295m
Independence Day R - 295
Independence Day: Resurgence 292m
ID:R – 282m
Independence Day: Resurgence – $280M
Independence Day: Resurgence $267,000,000
Independence Day 2 255m
Independence Day 2 - 250 m
Independence Day: Resurgence - $241m
Independence Day: 217M
Independence Day: Resurgence: 240M
ID42- 238
Independence Day:Resurgance: 225 million.
Independence Day: Roland's Reckoning 215
Independence Day Resurgence - 215 M
Independence Day: Resurgence - 215M
Independence Day - $210m
Independence Day: Resurgence – 208M
Independence Day: Resurgence- 205m

Independence Day: Resurgence - 192.7m
Independence Day: Resurgence - $190M
Independence Day: Resurgence $185M
Independence Day Resurgence: 180M
Independence Day 2 - 176M
Independence Day - 150M
Independence Day 2 150m 
Independence Day: Resurgence – 138M

Independence Day: Resurgence - $92M

For the record:

400+: 3

300+: 7

200+: 20 (250+: 9)

100+: 8 (150+: 7)

Sub 100: 1

And I'm fairly sure some of those predicts were adjusted downward as the deadline approached as the overall "meh" reactions were building.

Now when the lack of presales and the lack of screenings hit this last couple of weeks, the predictions in various threads nosedived.  THAT'S when the sub 150 predicts came out in force.  And maybe even one or two sub 100s.  But as of a couple of months ago, most people were still saying 200+ for this movie.  Which still would have been pretty bad, IMO.

Sweet, I was the 6th lowest

6 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Apart from Will Smith the original had decent writing as well. Goldblum trying to win back his ex-wife and his relationship with his dad were engaging enough and the president's speech is about as iconic as any of the big destruction scenes.

Not planning on seeing this but I'm guessing the character beats don't work nearly as well here

I also

like the tension in the first half of the movie 

My range for IDR was always 175-215 before the pre-sales indicated zero buzz whatsoever. I thought it could at least ride the 4th Holiday wave and advantage of being the only real live action blockbuster on the slate between Apocalypse and Ghostbusters. Never ever did I expect a breakout above that range though. 

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I still hold there is nothing "iconic" about the original ID4, which is a huge reason this sequel was never going to work as a nostalgia hit. The first is a total product of it's time, a true example of a movie that would have never been half as successful if released in any other era. It's the definition of a standalone success. I don't even think audiences would have cared about IDR in 2000. Again, its popularity is forever stuck in '96. 

I think ID4 W could have done well if it had Will Smith back,  bring back more of the people involved in the original to give it the Same feel,and incorporated the whole "going to the alien planet" idea in this one instead of apparently setting it up for the next 

Edited by John Marston

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Many disagree, it is indeed iconic. It should indeed have been a standalone success cause the scope doesn't lend itself to immediate sequels, which need to happen to establish a franchise. You can take a decade off once you've put out a few sequels but very few films can have their FIRST sequel 20yrs later and do well(waits for some pedantic person to whip out an example even though I acknowledge exceptions exist). If they could've structured a sequel under some other premise before Potter, LOTR, YA cinema and Comic Book films took root then an ID franchise might've been possible. As it is, this was not going to be Jurassic World 2.0

• Like 1

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

You had to know these existential discussions about ID were coming this weekend... Look it's a good summer popcorn flick. Not sure why they felt a sequel was necessary but most of understand that's the business thesedays. 

It's not at all though, which is why it will fail so hard. Big spectacle (which was still disappointing itself) doesn't automatically get it into the "good popcorn flick" camp. There's more of an art to it than that. 

Still can't believe the sequel to a film that made 300m Dom and 800m WW in frickin' '96 may not even pass 150m Dom and 600 WW. Espcially after what JW achieved last year. I never expected an improvement like that for ID4's legacy is clearly not equal to JP but it should have atleast matched what its predecessor did 20 years ago!

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

It's not at all though, which is why it will fail so hard. Big spectacle (which was still disappointing itself) doesn't automatically get it into the "good popcorn flick" camp. There's more of an art to it than that. 

MM im referring to the original not ID2.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Infernus said:

Still can't believe the sequel to a film that made 300m Dom and 800m WW in frickin' '96 may not even pass 150m Dom and 600 WW. Espcially after what JW achieved last year. I never expected an improvement like that for ID4's legacy is clearly not equal to JP but it should have atleast matched what its predecessor did 20 years ago!

No surprise. Even ZOOLANDER 2 failed to gross as much as the original despite the original making only 46 million.

I remember when it was rumored that the title for the movie was "Independence Day Forever Part 1" to be followed by ID Forever Part 2, and Neo insisted that those should be the thread titles despite everyone asking him to wait for confirmation.

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

I remember when it was rumored that the title for the movie was "Independence Day Forever Part 1" to be followed by ID Forever Part 2, and Neo insisted that those should be the thread titles despite everyone asking him to wait for confirmation.

Oh Neo