WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 96): Dory 73M | IDR 41M | CI 18.2M | Shallows 16.8M | Conjuring 7.7M | Jones 7.6M

4 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

I didn't even know The Shallows existed before yesterday :ph34r: 

And I've went to the theater quite often recently, I guess I just didn't bump into any trailers. And I don't watch TV

Damn I forgot to enter the derby :rant:

I was you two weeks ago.  Then when I saw the trailer, it became my most anticipated film of the summer...and it did not disappoint.  It's fucking brilliant and intense from start to finish.

5 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Hard to believe Cameron spent only $18M on Aliens. 

Why?  He was a nobody back then.  And big budgeted films were maybe 40 million dollars. Temple of Doom was about 25 million.  

I kept hearing radio ads for IDR and they used Fortunate Son by Creedence Clearwater Revival.  It's a terrific song but seemed very odd for the marketing.  Not sure of the correlation to the movie.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Who was holding them over a barrel and demanding 50 million dollars.  I would have told him to piss off too.  His star was on the decline at that point and I don't think it would have made any differendfe if he was in it.  The marketing for this hasn't been great at all.

Jurassic World also had other advantages. Lots of merchandise and video games in the years between sequels and the rides in parks in Florida, California, Japan and China helped keep the brand alive. ID4 has well nothing in the past 20 years 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Smith demanded 50 mill to be in this movie....he also priced himself out of Django....Tarantino wanted him for that movie too and he wanted something ridiculous as well.  It's one of the reasons I'm glad he's taken a tumble....his ego was out of control.

He's going nuts personal life wise as well especially with the whole Oscar issue earlier this year with him not getting the Oscar for Concussion. I"ll be there to check out Suicide Squad, and Bad Boys 3 but that's it. I still haven't seen Focus but I've heard mixed things about it.

6 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

I think watching the audience score for Independence Day drop should more interesting than the movie itself. 

I think watching its critics score also drop as more US critics watch it is interesting too. 

1 minute ago, Maxmoser3 said:

He's going nuts personal life wise as well especially with the whole Oscar issue earlier this year with him not getting the Oscar for Concussion. I"ll be there to check out Suicide Squad, and Bad Boys 3 but that's it. I still haven't seen Focus but I've heard mixed things about it.

I'll be there for both of them as well.  Focus is good, but not memorable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Jurassic World also had other advantages. Lots of merchandise and video games in the years between sequels and the rides in parks in Florida, California, Japan and China helped keep the brand alive. ID4 has well nothing in the past 20 years 

ID4 has done this though.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t475kPIEXPg

27 minutes ago, Baumer said:

ID4 had a 75 million dollar budget because that was about standard in the mid to late 90's.  You can't compare everything to Titanic, which went way over budget.  Hell Jurassic Park's budget was only 63 million.  I don't have any concrete facts to support this but if I had to guess, it was Titanic that started the massive budgets that we are used to now.  Before that, a big budgeted film was less than 100 million to make.  I mean, Waterworld was 175 million to make and that was an unmitigated disaster.  

15 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

True Lies budget was $115m.

14 minutes ago, lab276 said:

Cameron made expensive films. Terminator 2 I think was the first film to have a budget over $100m.

Cameron was the budget buster. First to break 100m then 200m. He would have had 300m if avatar came out earlier. Probably will be the first for 400m.

100 and 200m became common place shortly after titanic with the former USSR bolstering the OS market along with many other territories and china to follow 10 years later

• Like 1

1 minute ago, No Prisoners said:

Cameron was the budget buster. First to break 100m then 200m. He would have had 300m if avatar came out earlier. Probably will be the first for 400m.

100 and 200m became common place shortly after titanic with the former USSR bolstering the OS market along with many other territories and china to follow 10 years later

what is amazing is the studio had no problem giving R rated movies like Terminator 2 and True Lies record budgets

• Like 2

I always disliked Will Smith. He seems disingenuous. I mean Tom Cruise is a closeted Scieftologist just like Will but at least Tom seems like a nice guy. Like most celebrities whose brand is their "likability," Will seems like a secret douchebag. He's also a mediocre talent. I hope he's over. 

• Like 2

Just now, John Marston said:

what is amazing is the studio had no problem giving R rated movies like Terminator 2 and True Lies record budgets

Easy when you have Cameron directing them. :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

I always disliked Will Smith. He seems disingenuous. I mean Tom Cruise is a closeted Scieftologist just like Will but at least Tom seems like a nice guy. Like most celebrities whose brand is their "likability," Will seems like a secret douchebag. He's also a mediocre talent. I hope he's over. 

He's money hungry just like Bruce Willis, and Adam Sandler are today. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Focus starts off good and goes downhill until it ends in a horrible boring mess.  At times Smith's charm almost saves it but Robbie is a lead weight around his neck.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

IDR may have been a disappointment six months in the making, but it's still a disappointment. This and Dory represent an interesting dichotomy between how and how not to execute revivals of nostalgic franchises

The winning strategy is to be Disney.