WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 96): Dory 73M | IDR 41M | CI 18.2M | Shallows 16.8M | Conjuring 7.7M | Jones 7.6M

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Thats what happens when you make a sequel without the breakout star of the original 

Who was holding them over a barrel and demanding 50 million dollars.  I would have told him to piss off too.  His star was on the decline at that point and I don't think it would have made any differendfe if he was in it.  The marketing for this hasn't been great at all.

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

Shallows marketing campaign was outstanding, one of the best of the year oddly enough.

Sony is making a comeback, and of course Blake Lively in a bikini for about 90 minutes:wub:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Thats what happens when you make a sequel without the breakout star of the original 

I think having a marketing campaign that made the movie look incredibly bland didn't help and it doesn't help that based on the audience reviews it isn't even a crowd pleaser.  The bottom line is the marketing didn't establish that there was going to be a single interesting character in this movie, none of the money shots they've showed in the trailers were anything special and the movie isn't giving us anything we haven't seen before. 

• Like 1

Just now, Baumer said:

Who was holding them over a barrel and demanding 50 million dollars.  I would have told him to piss off too.  His star was on the decline at that point and I don't think it would have made any differendfe if he was in it.  The marketing for this hasn't been great at all.

You don't root against films... Having said that would you be ok for many to get crushed with their high sky expectations on the opening for SS?

1 minute ago, Baumer said:

Maybe, it would have made a difference. It is an interesting question as to whether it would have made a difference to the tune of 50 million dollars.

Just now, Baumer said:

I thought he didn't do it because of Suicide Squad? Either way Roland Emmerich's stuff has declined within the 10 year time period. I'm interested in checking out Independence Day:Resurgance but I'm jumping up and down like I did with something Jurassic World for example.

2 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

True Lies budget was $115m.

James Cameron, his power!

Starting with T2, his budgets always go big. But considering the results the studios don't seem to care what he spends lol. 

T2 was the most expensive movie to date. 

4 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

True Lies budget was $115m.

Come on dude, there's outliers, obviously.  I'm saying on the whole big budgeted films were under 100 million budget.  And that was coming off of T2....the studio was ready to write him a blank check at that point.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Shallows marketing campaign was outstanding, one of the best of the year oddly enough.

Oddly enough The Shallows had a very strong marketing campaign and so did Deadpool (I mean Deadpool was over the top fantastic). I guess the Lively-Reynolds family got all the luck in terms of marketing this year. 

• Like 3

ID4R failure is a marketing failure. This was a great time to release a sequel. Nostalgia for the original will never be higher. They just dropped the ball with the marketing. It looks flaccid, every single frame of it. It looked like a boring version of Transformers. The quality of the film is nearly irrelevant for OW on a movie like this. This should have opened in low 100s with no problem at all. Fox face planted.

• Like 2

IDR may have been a disappointment six months in the making, but it's still a disappointment. This and Dory represent an interesting dichotomy between how and how not to execute revivals of nostalgic franchises

Edited by tribefan695

I didn't even know The Shallows existed before yesterday :ph34r: 

And I've went to the theater quite often recently, I guess I just didn't bump into any trailers. And I don't watch TV

Damn I forgot to enter the derby :rant:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

You don't root against films... Having said that would you be ok for many to get crushed with their high sky expectations on the opening for SS?

I'm a little confused with your wording here....are you saying that me as in baumer...I don't root against films?  And if that is the case, you are right, unless there is a sequel to The Artist, then I would root against it.....as for Suicide Squad, I would be fine with people's sky high expectations for that film to be crushed.

3 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

Maybe, it would have made a difference. It is an interesting question as to whether it would have made a difference to the tune of 50 million dollars.

It would of had to an extra 100 mill in receipts.

3 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

I thought he didn't do it because of Suicide Squad? Either way Roland Emmerich's stuff has declined within the 10 year time period. I'm interested in checking out Independence Day:Resurgance but I'm jumping up and down like I did with something Jurassic World for example.

Smith demanded 50 mill to be in this movie....he also priced himself out of Django....Tarantino wanted him for that movie too and he wanted something ridiculous as well.  It's one of the reasons I'm glad he's taken a tumble....his ego was out of control.

1 minute ago, Lestranger said:

ID4R failure is a marketing failure. This was a great time to release a sequel. Nostalgia for the original will never be higher. They just dropped the ball with the marketing. It looks flaccid, every single frame of it. It looked like a boring version of Transformers. The quality of the film is nearly irrelevant for OW on a movie like this. This should have opened in low 100s with no problem at all. Fox face planted.

Agreed.  While the critic reviews for this haven't been good so far, they aren't bad enough where they would have made people decide not to see the film if there was legitimate excitement and buzz for this.  Every piece of marketing made this movie look as boring and wooden as possible. 

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

Oddly enough The Shallows had a very strong marketing campaign and so did Deadpool (I mean Deadpool was over the top fantastic). I guess the Lively-Reynolds family got all the luck in terms of marketing this year. 

They should both get oscar nominations this year.....they won't, but they should.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

This is one of the oddest spots (clearly well done but oddly put together) I've seen but I was definitely intrigued by the end of it & it's not my type of film.

It's really great because the movie is all about self-reliance. It's a psychological thriller and that tv spot is spot on with showing that.

• Like 1