WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 96): Dory 73M | IDR 41M | CI 18.2M | Shallows 16.8M | Conjuring 7.7M | Jones 7.6M

20 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

BOT's favorite movies of the year so far based on the grades (with a reasonable amount of votes):

1. Zootopia: A-/93 (43 votes)

2. Kung Fu Panda 3: A-/92 (9 votes)

3. Popstar: A-/88 (8 votes)

4. Deadpool: A-/87 (46 votes)

5. The Conjuring 2: B+/86 (14 votes)

The Nice Guys: B+/86 (23 votes)

7. Captain America Civil War: B+/84 (86 votes)

The Jungle Book: B+/84 (43 votes)

9. X-Men Apocalypse: B/74 (58 votes)

10. 10 Cloverfield Lane: B/72 (26 votes)

The Witch: B/72 (12 votes)

Happy to see a list compiled, Wrath. But I'd avoid putting anything on there with less than 20 votes.

Finding Dory has done exceptional weekday business at my theatre. Increased every day (I don't count Tuesday cause of course Wednesday would decrease).

Did around 23M on Monday (but a lot of that was from one of the high schools renting out a sold out show for their grad class). Tuesday did 46M. Wednesday did 20M (no grad class) and Thursday did 21.6M.

Some quick thoughts.

A lot of you were not alive when ID4 came out.  Jurassic Park was bigger, this is true, but not by much.  ID4 was a WW phenom.  It had a terrific multiplier and it's the film that made Smith the box office juggernaut that he became.  So this opening is bad.  It might hit 50 million for the weekend but it could also come in around 45.  There was a muted rush factor to it last night.

IDR has a budget of 165 million.  I think they were hoping to cash in on the nostalgia craze like JW and TFA just did.  I don't think they were hoping to  make 150 here and maybe 500 WW.   

ID4 had a 75 million dollar budget because that was about standard in the mid to late 90's.  You can't compare everything to Titanic, which went way over budget.  Hell Jurassic Park's budget was only 63 million.  I don't have any concrete facts to support this but if I had to guess, it was Titanic that started the massive budgets that we are used to now.  Before that, a big budgeted film was less than 100 million to make.  I mean, Waterworld was 175 million to make and that was an unmitigated disaster.  

As for the Shallows, I have no idea what to expect from it.  I think this could be a sleeper hit of the year.  Wrath of Han says it can't get a 4X because it's a horror film.  I look at it as more of a psychological thriller with horrific elements tossed in.    Cast Away had a 7X and Gravity had a hair shy of a 5X.  This film has been compared to those films.  I'm not saying it will be anywhere near them in terms of hitting the Zeitgeist, but I'm saying I think it's a good enough movie to get repeat viewings and to get a lot of great WOM.  So I won't be shocked if it hits a 4X.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Happy to see a list compiled, Wrath. But I'd avoid putting anything on there with less than 20 votes.

A movie needs around 10 votes for me to put it on the list if it's not a 50M grosser, same logic when putting together this Top 10 (so far)

9 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Some quick thoughts.

A lot of you were not alive when ID4 came out.  Jurassic Park was bigger, this is true, but not by much.  ID4 was a WW phenom.  It had a terrific multiplier and it's the film that made Smith the box office juggernaut that he became.  So this opening is bad.  It might hit 50 million for the weekend but it could also come in around 45.  There was a muted rush factor to it last night.

IDR has a budget of 165 million.  I think they were hoping to cash in on the nostalgia craze like JW and TFA just did.  I don't think they were hoping to  make 150 here and maybe 500 WW.   

ID4 had a 75 million dollar budget because that was about standard in the mid to late 90's.  You can't compare everything to Titanic, which went way over budget.  Hell Jurassic Park's budget was only 63 million.  I don't have any concrete facts to support this but if I had to guess, it was Titanic that started the massive budgets that we are used to now.  Before that, a big budgeted film was less than 100 million to make.  I mean, Waterworld was 175 million to make and that was an unmitigated disaster.  

As for the Shallows, I have no idea what to expect from it.  I think this could be a sleeper hit of the year.  Wrath of Han says it can't get a 4X because it's a horror film.  I look at it as more of a psychological thriller with horrific elements tossed in.    Cast Away had a 7X and Gravity had a hair shy of a 5X.  This film has been compared to those films.  I'm not saying it will be anywhere near them in terms of hitting the Zeitgeist, but I'm saying I think it's a good enough movie to get repeat viewings and to get a lot of great WOM.  So I won't be shocked if it hits a 4X.

Thats what happens when you make a sequel without the breakout star of the original 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, trancedanne said:

Sad to see ID:R end up like this, Emmerich waited 20 years to make.. this? The only reason i want it to do well is because i want more Goldblum.

Goldblum is awesome. 

He picked the wrong 90s nostalgia movie to appear in lol. 

*wakes up*

*sees ID:R's RT and Audience Score cratering harder than the markets right now*

Geez, that Audience Score surprises me.  I thought this might be a critically hated movie that still appealed to the General Audience.  That this is bombing right out of the gate with the general public (if that auidence score is to be believed) before lots of people get to see it is frankly stunning.  I figured at least a 60% audience score.

This bodes pretty damn badly for its legs, said Captain Obvious.

Edited by Porthos

Independence Day's preview number is okay but is going to suffer(its audience score on RT is already at 49%). Solid for The Shallows, should likely do at least $15 million opening weekend and hold up strong. Expected numbers for Free State Of Jones, it should do about between $7-$9 million this weekend which is weak considering its $50 million production budget. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Some quick thoughts.

True Lies budget was $115m.

• Like 1