CJohn

Ralph Breaks the Internet | Rich Moore / Phil Johnston | 21st November, 2018

its doing half of WIR1 in the uk, yikes.

Date
(click to view chart)
Rank Weekend
Gross
/
% Change
Theaters Change / Avg. Gross-to-Date Week #
Feb. 8–10 1 $7,154,975 - 501 - $14,281 $7,154,975 1
Feb. 15–17 2 $5,392,743 -24.6% 543 +42 $9,931 $16,503,802 2

Date
(click to view chart)
Rank Weekend
Gross
/
% Change
Nov. 30–Dec. 2 1 $5,125,726 - 0 - n/a $5,125,726 1
Dec. 7–9 1 $3,116,195 -39.2% 0 - n/a $9,431,875

Edited by TombRaider

On 12/16/2018 at 12:42 PM, TombRaider said:

the budget for this was 175m BUT considering it was like a big ad for ebay, amazon etc... i wonder how much those companies paid....

Budget talk in the media tend to be a gross estimate net of rebate (state tax credit and/or product placement help if money was exchanged)

Take a James bond movie ( a rare extreme case where the product placement is so valuable than some actual money is given to the studio), their net budget were still bigger in reality than what appear on box office mojo, that 175M could still be massaged down.

Most of the "money" those company usually pay is by promoting the movie in their product ads without charging the studio money.

Edited by Barnack

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Budget talk in the media tend to be a gross estimate net of rebate (state tax credit and/or product placement help if money was exchanged)

Take a James bond movie ( a rare extreme case where the product placement is so valuable than some actual money is given to the studio), their net budget were still bigger in reality than what appear on box office mojo, that 175M could still be massaged down.

Most of the "money" those company usually pay is by promoting the movie in their product ads without charging the studio money.

and I don't suppose the studio paid a penny for those Aston Martins.

42 minutes ago, AndyK said:

and I don't suppose the studio paid a penny for those Aston Martins.

Apparently it can still be surprising on some production, I heard once that Paramount had to reimburse BMW for some of the damage they did on them on Mission Impossible and studio still have to pay for insurance and sometime shipping on those.

That was Skyfall partnership with some of the deals:

Above the line commitment: communication is intended for a wider audience

Prom Partners, those were the media commitment

Bollinger: Champagne

•  30 Territories
  •  Creating limited edition 007 licensed innovative Bollinger/Bond Collector bottle to celebrate the 50th anniversary
  •  Retail and Print

Coke: Carbonated Beverage

•  45+ Territories
  •  $30+ MM Media Commitment
  •  Special Packaging
  •  Themed TV spot

Harrods: UK Retail

•  POS materials throughout the estate
  •  Visible t 1.7 million visitors
  •  Print and online promotional support

Heineken: Beer

•  50+ Territories
  •  $60MM Above-the-Line Commitment – TV, Print, Digital, Outdoor, On and Off Premise
  •  Dedicated TV spot featuring Daniel Craig and Bérénice Marlohe
  •  Introducing super premium 007 showcase packaging

Omega: Watch

•  30+ Territories
  •  $15MM Media Commitment
  •  Producing TV spots featuring Daniel Craig and Bérénice Marlohe
  •  50th Anniversary Watch – Feb. 22, 2012
  •  Limited Edition Watch – October 2012

Sony Electronics/Mobile: Electronics & Mobile

•  42 Territories
  •  $33+ MM Media Value Commitment
  •  Joint activation and messaging - Sony Electronics and Sony Mobile
  •  Dedicated TV spot featuring Daniel Craig

Visit Britain: Travel

•  21 Territories
  •  Creating a SKYFALL -themed travel package
  •  Providing “Money Can’t Buy” Experiences – For media promotions
  •  Exposure through all marketing channels
  •  TBD – TV Campaign 

Placed brand:

• Aston Martin: Automobile 
  • Honda: Motorcycles
  • Land Rover: Automobiles
  • Tom Ford: Apparel

Licensees
Activision: Gaming

O.P.I: Nail Lacquer

• 107 Territories
  • $3+ MM Above-the-Line Commitment
  • Bond 50th Anniversary and Skyfall Nail Lacquer

P&G: Men’s Fragrance

• 32 Territories
  • 007 Fragrance
  • TV, Print, Online
  • SKYFALL promotion leading into Holiday buying season
  • Distribution Channels - department stores, specialty beauty stores, duty free, and drugstores.

Swarovski: Jewelry, Apparel, Accessories

• 50th Anniversary collection with Skyfall piece
  • Retail support in 2,200 Locations
  • Bérénice Marlohe featured in campaign

-------------

In term of reducing the movie budget because of actual money sent to the movie producer

Heineken: 3m

Omega watch: 1m

I think the Sony placement was maybe 3-5M in cash but with some going toward Craig pockets and not the movie.

That give an idea, we tend to see at least $10-20-30M in ads committeemen versus each million in actual money if there is any, and Bond is a bit exceptional in term of product placement value, would not surprise me if it is in is own little category above everything else in how much money they achieve to get, maybe the Fast&Furious achieve to get something quite nice also.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

This is one of those sequels that is much more ambitious (I'd say it's almost as ambitious as Zootopia) so it ended up being more messy and unfocused than the first.

The main story they get done right so well that it makes up for the bigger flaws this film has over the first. 

Sad (but understandable) that it's underperforming compared to recent Disney Animation films.

On 12/19/2018 at 12:10 AM, TombRaider said:

its doing half of WIR1 in the uk, yikes.

Date
(click to view chart)
Rank Weekend
Gross
/
% Change
Feb. 8–10 1 $7,154,975 - 501 - $14,281 $7,154,975 1
Feb. 15–17 2 $5,392,743 -24.6% 543 +42 $9,931 $16,503,802 2

Date
(click to view chart)
Rank Weekend
Gross
/
% Change
Nov. 30–Dec. 2 1 $5,125,726 - 0 - n/a $5,125,726 1
Dec. 7–9 1 $3,116,195 -39.2% 0 - n/a $9,431,875

Lol different release dates. You can’t compare it like that easily.

1 hour ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

This is one of those sequels that is much more ambitious (I'd say it's almost as ambitious as Zootopia) so it ended up being more messy and unfocused than the first.

The main story they get done right so well that it makes up for the bigger flaws this film has over the first. 

Sad (but understandable) that it's underperforming compared to recent Disney Animation films.

Indeed. I think aside from the Disney princess gimmick, this just doesn’t look appealing. Had they put Felix-Sgt Calhoun front and center this woulda done better lol.

On 12/26/2018 at 5:56 PM, Darth Lehnsherr said:

No, it kinda sucked and deserves its frankly disappointing gross. 

What story did they want to tell? Ralph becomes uber annoying, Mater-lite and for all the feminist layers, it still is heavy handed and follows male hero/damsel in distress tropes. 

I didn't realize it beforehand, but coming out after it, it's pretty clear to ask why did we need another movie following Ralph's character arc? This movie should have been about Vanellope, and whilst it tries to do that, Ralph STILL overshadows everything. 

I'm glad it has struggled to compete with the original's admissions. In fact, not a single sequel post-Toy Story 3 from Disney/Pixar has been really any good. Passable, but far from the top echelon of their catalogue. Really far.  

• Like 1

On 12/3/2018 at 1:32 AM, a2k said:

Coco's lates legs were bad. After it's 1st 2 weekends compared to Moana I don't know how the hell they ended with a 39m gap.

That's because it released in the era of Trumpets. 

Latino influences on muh kidz? Kill it with fire! 

Racism is alive and well in America. 

15 minutes ago, BK007 said:

I'm glad it has struggled to compete with the original's admissions. In fact, not a single sequel post-Toy Story 3 from Disney/Pixar has been really any good. Passable, but far from the top echelon of their catalogue. Really far.  

Finding Dory is the best Disney/Pixar sequel since Toy Story 2. Best Pixar movie overall since Ratatouille

Disney should have not seen The Emoji Movie as something worth replicating, 

especially with Wreck-It Ralph ironically being the one to do it.

Edited by 2kt09

10 hours ago, BK007 said:

That's because it released in the era of Trumpets. 

Latino influences on muh kidz? Kill it with fire! 

Racism is alive and well in America. 

Nah, I mean we all know the last part is sadly true but I believe the strong family competition of Jumanji and Greatest Showman really hurt it, whereas Moana had just Sing to worry about.

• Like 1

Not a soul (Except for, at least, myself) was asking for a sequel to the first. 

Spoiler

And not one where the hero is such a massive disaster that he's ruining people's livelihoods.  Even though I liked this more than the first one, that's not necessarily a feel-good story for the most part. Animation is a medium, and people should be challenged through it, but wow.

Edited by Morieris

1 hour ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Nah, I mean we all know the last part is sadly true but I believe the strong family competition of Jumanji and Greatest Showman really hurt it, whereas Moana had just Sing to worry about.

Sing was much more direct competition for Moana than Greatest Showman and Jumanji were for Coco. 

As for Ralph 2's underperformance, I kind of agree that it was too heavy-handed and didn't feel as imaginative as the first one. Third act was really weak.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, TombRaider said:

the sequel we need is ratatouille

Ratatouille is one of my favorite animated movies but no. There’s nowhere the story can go from there and unnecessary. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

I'm not weeping about its box office. Frankly I think this franchise is a creative dead end for Disney. Most of its following isn't based on things that actually help make good movies.

This was Disney's chance to get in on the video game movie craze

because those movies (not actual gaming IP rather concept based like Jumanji WTJ) do well. 

Edited by 2kt09