CJohn

Ralph Breaks the Internet | Rich Moore / Phil Johnston | 21st November, 2018

Yeah, Cars sequels = "bad" because adult fans don't like Cars, think it's beneath Pixar, and hate Mater/Larry the Cable Guy/down-home humor. (Remember, the original Cars pissed some people off coming off of The Incredibles, they saw The Incredibles as Pixar "growing up" and were hoping that every future Pixar film would be just as mature and intelligent. When the teaser dropped, they went "WHAT THE FUCK, A GOOFY KIDS' MOVIE?! PIXAR IS SELLING OUT!" Some things never change.)

For the others, it tends to be not wanting sequels to originals you didn't like (particularly juvenile comedies), not wanting sequels to films which broke your heart and made you cry, not wanting sequels to any Pixar IP after The Incredibles, not wanting sequels to fairy-tale movies, and wanting sequels to imaginative geek-friendly originals like Incredibles/Ralph? Again, I point to that Austin Powers quote...

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

Yeah, Cars sequels = "bad" because adult fans don't like Cars, think it's beneath Pixar, and hate Mater/Larry the Cable Guy/down-home humor. (Remember, the original Cars pissed some people off coming off of The Incredibles, they saw The Incredibles as Pixar "growing up" and were hoping that every future Pixar film would be just as mature and intelligent. When the teaser dropped, they went "WHAT THE FUCK, A GOOFY KIDS' MOVIE?! PIXAR IS SELLING OUT!" Some things never change.)

Well, yeah. Surely Pixar has a boatload of more interesting ideas at their disposal, even if some of them happen to be sequels.

To put it another way, Dreamworks has made quite a few original films recently, but none of them have come close to piquing my interest the same way Pixar's have. I care a lot more about how much potential the story has than whether it's a sequel or not.

As for WIR2, I don't know. I wasn't that high on the first one and I'm not sure the main character was interesting enough to warrant more stories about him.

• Like 1

Again, as long as they don't stop making originals (which doesn't look likely), what does it matter? We're still getting at least one original from WDAS and/or Pixar every year, like we used to.

And again, Ralph had the quickest "SEQUEL PLEASE" reaction from Internet geeks this side of The Incredibles, just as Toy Story 4 and Frozen 2 had the quickest "NAKED CASH GRAB, KILL IT WITH FIRE" reactions this side of Cars 2/3.

I wouldn't have a problem with a Ralph sequel as long as it's good and brings something new. And Disney/Pixar actually have the longest time gaps between sequels of any studio, they are not rushing into this stuff. Even Frozen 2 will take longer to make than something like Shrek 2.

There seems to be a worry that franchises will completely crowd out originals in animation the way they did in live action, but I think it's overblown. Disney is developing plenty of originals, and so is Pixar.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Cars 3 is arguably the closest anyone can get to putting the "cash grab" label on it, since Cars 2 is still technically Pixar's lowest grossing film (counting for inflation), but made billions of dollars in merch. So, literally Cars 3 is being made because John Lasseter is infatuated beyond reason with the franchise, and Disney execs are infatuated with the merchandising money it makes for them.

Rich Moore has had sequel ideas for WiR for a long time, to the point of him talking about it when the first movie came out. I'd definitely see it.

Also, it was just announced today that Merida from Brave will be featured in "Once Upon a Time". My guess is that an Inside Out TV series is probably inevitable as well. Synergy all up in the place.