WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

Just now, UrosepsisFace said:

I can agree that there's still is a level of diversity, but I think its trending downward. Dramas of all kinds will still exist due to the lesser studios, and as long as budgets are low, they'll still exist in the major studios. I'm looking forward to Queen of Katwe this year. However, the big-budget dramas and war stories might go extinct. I'm craving more Braveheart movies that do not feature light sabers. Sadly, I don't think Ben Hur is going to deliver. That said, I really hope Dunkirk succeeds next year.

Summer is not the time for big budget dramas though. Those are best saved for Fall/Holiday. The Revenant definitely offered incentive for studios to keep the genre going. 

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I disagree with this premise. 

Well sure, if you're gonna compare to the summers before the era of the summer blockbuster. But otherwise, summers always fluctuate in quality, some years better than others. Yeah we have way more sequels ever since this century started, but sometimes those sequels are just as good or better than a lot of original efforts of the 80's or 90's. Sometimes they suck and are totally unnecessary, just like some original movies from back in the day were too. I fail to see how there has been drastic changes in quality. Even a poorer summer slate like this one still has a trio or so of solid offerings in each genre. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I disagree with this premise. 

@Jamesalso disagrees with this premise.

Summer movie quality is always getting better and better. Not like that old shit, 20 years ago

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 3

Take the top summer movie 30 years ago: Top Gun. Strip away nostalgia for those of you that saw it back in the day, and the movie is cheesy and corny as fuck. A movie like that would be crucified if it were the top summer movie this year. 

• Like 3

This is my third weekend in a row and my fourth out of the past five not seeing a movie because I have zero interest. That's a huge outlier for February, much less the middle of summer. It sucks. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Summer is not the time for big budget dramas though. Those are best saved for Fall/Holiday. The Revenant definitely offered incentive for studios to keep the genre going. 

I'm hoping Dunkirk can change the conversation. Love the Revenant example, though.

5 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

I'm hoping Dunkirk can change the conversation. Love the Revenant example, though.

Also there's really no reason to not consider Bourne a big budget drama. They're action heavy films, but far from popcorn fluff.