WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

It depends on what you normally pay at the theaters you go to and when you normally go. If you normally do matinees, then no MP is not worth it. Also if you live outside a big city where prices are below $8 on average, then again probably not worth it. Most importantly, you can't cancel before 12 months without paying a fee (something they're VERY sneaky about advertising).

I believe the average rate most places is $35 a month for it. So that's $420 a year. If you pay on average, say $8 a movie, then you really need to be seeing near 60 movies a year or 5 movies a month to get a deal out of it. Some other issues I have with it is that the one movie a day policy is actually a one movie every 24 hours policy. As in if you see your movie at 8pm and want to go to a 7:30pm showing the next night, you're SOL. Gotta wait the FULL 24 hours. This has proved way more problematic for me then I imagined, since if I'm going to see a movie in a group where I can't necessarily dictate the time, it can be hard to end up using it if I saw a movie the day before.

Also no repeats of movies. Though there's a pretty easy cheat for that one, since you can just pick a movie you know you're not gonna see and "sneak" into the theater for the movie you want to see again (i.e. same as the teenager R rated sneak method). Finally, if you see a lot of indies mainly at local non-chain theaters, that theater probably isn't on MP and that could be the dealbreaker for you.

So yeah, just consider all those things. I'm almost done with my year's subscription and I think it was mildly worth it for me, but there were a lot more negatives than I had anticipated. 

WAIT WAIT WAIT HOLD ON WHAT IS THE FEE??

2 minutes ago, Blanks McCoy said:

WAIT WAIT WAIT HOLD ON WHAT IS THE FEE??

If you decide to cancel before your year is up, you are subject to early termination fees. After the free trial, for months 1-3 it's $75; 4-6 ,$60; 7-9, $40; and 10-11, $20. After the first year, you can cancel at any time with no cancellation fee.

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

If you decide to cancel before your year is up, you are subject to early termination fees. After the free trial, for months 1-3 it's $75; 4-6 ,$60; 7-9, $40; and 10-11, $20. After the first year, you can cancel at any time with no cancellation fee.

Well fuck. Gotta figure out when to cancel now because I can't afford this shit on a school budget. I'm officially an idiot guys

• Community Manager
2 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Fuck summer movies. Anything made by studios, anyway. Summer's are

now a wasteland. Used to be my favorite movie season, now it's the worst. 

Pixar doesn't need my support, btw. 

2 hours ago, nilephelan said:

Here we go again, everyone wails every single year about this time that there are no adult movies, cinema is falling apart, blah blah blah blah and then a few weeks from now you get Jason Bourne, The Founder and Florence Foster Jenkins.  A few weeks after those you get Sully, Snowden, Deepwater Horizon, Birth of a Nation, The Girl on the Train and The Accountant.  

That is all in the next 3 months.  Cinema for adults is not dead and there will be multiple films that do very well.  

I could be wrong but I feel like Tele isn't sad right now because there aren't "adult" movies but because the blockbusters have gotten more and more generic. Like seriously even if you are a teen, it's not exactly like Tarzan and ID:R are setting the world on fire in terms of quality OR style OR even fun. Tele is a big fan of Mad Max: Fury Road and not just because it was rated R but because it was very well done.

Seriously this summer has been great in regards to comedies (Popstar) and animated films (Finding Dory although I have yet to see it) but the big action blockbusters have been failing (except for the superhero ones but if your not a fan of the genre like Tele...). There's a reason everybody is looking forward to Suicide Squad which is like a month away.

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, Nova said:

How can someone say Deadpool, BvS and CW are the same film? 

Besides being comic book films, they couldn't be anymore different actually. 

Different tones, different plots, different characters etc. 

Its like saying all comedies are the same because they just happen to be funny. 

Not to mention I can smell an Indie movie, an AMPAS movie or a Sundance movie from a million miles, always the same shit, the same clichés & tropes.

Even less variety there IMO.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Right.  It also had The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Blended, A Million Ways to Die in the West, Jersey Boys, Transformers: Age of Extinction, Deliver Us From Evil, Earth To Echo, Tammy, Planes Fire and Rescue, Sex Tape, Hercules, Into the Storm and Expendebles 3.  

This summer has Civil War, The Nice Guys, Popstar, The Conjuring 2, Central Intelligence, The Shallows, The Purge: Election Year, Dory, Secret Life of Pets with Star Trek Beyond, Jason Bourne, The Founder, Suicide Squad, Pete's Dragon, Sausage Party, Florence Foster Jenkins, Kubo and War Dogs still to come.  

The point is there is a lot of good in bad in most seasons and people usually only remember the stuff they liked and currently only the stuff they don't like.  

I agree. Not every movie released is going to be great. This summer has had its share of stinkers but it's also had its share of good summer flicks. Personally the good summer flicks have outweighed the bad ones. Then again I enjoy horror/thriller films so The Shallows and The Purge are up my alley, but I didn't watch The Conjuring. I also enjoyed CI, CW, and The Nice Guys. And there's still Star Trek, Bourne, Suicide Squad, Sausage party and War Dogs left. So while this summer isn't fantastic, it's not the stinker everyone here is making it out to be either. 

9 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I could be wrong but I feel like Tele isn't sad right now because there aren't "adult" movies but because the blockbusters have gotten more and more generic. Like seriously even if you are a teen, it's not exactly like Tarzan and ID:R are setting the world on fire in terms of quality OR style OR even fun. Tele is a big fan of Mad Max: Fury Road and not just because it was rated R but because it was very well done.

Seriously this summer has been great in regards to comedies (Popstar) and animated films (Finding Dory although I have yet to see it) but the big action blockbusters have been failing (except for the superhero ones but if your not a fan of the genre like Tele...). There's a reason everybody is looking forward to Suicide Squad which is like a month away.

Part of the reason why Mad Max: Fury Road was so loved was because it was a rare break from the typical blockbuster. There was simply nothing like it in the past 10 years. And when I look through the archives of box office mojo, I don't see many action movies that strike me as an aesthete's catnip.

Is this just the year that broke the camel's back?

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 2

I've also enjoyed seeing lower budget films have good legs and make some money at the box office which sometimes they're completely forgotten about. So that's been refreshing to see this summer season. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Blanks McCoy said:

Well fuck. Gotta figure out when to cancel now because I can't afford this shit on a school budget. I'm officially an idiot guys

You're not an idiot, MP is just borderline criminal about hiding that fact. You won't know unless you read the fine print/research reviews online first. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

I've also enjoyed seeing lower budget films have good legs and make some money at the box office which sometimes they're completely forgotten about. So that's been refreshing to see this summer season. 

BO-wise there was plenty of exciting stuff this summer. Diversity wise - not so much.

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Part of the reason why Mad Max: Fury Road was so loved was because it was a rare break from the typical blockbuster. There was simply nothing like it in the past 10 years. And when I look through the archives of box office mojo, I don't see many action movies that strike me as an aesthete's catnip.

Is this just the year that broke the camel's back?

Another good reason is because it was awesome. For dozens of reasons.

It's not about the summer being a bad season, it's about studios making bad movies.

But hey, bad movies have been around since the dawn of cinema and it ain't gonna change.

And of course if you listen to the ancients like Tele, you'll hear that old refrain about how it was better in their time.

Edited by RascarCapat

1 hour ago, nilephelan said:

Right, because who can forget the wonders of Summer 2014.  

Or the magic of July 2013 when such awesome movies like The Lone Ranger, Grown Ups 2, Pacific Rim, RIPD, Red 2 and Turbo were incredible blockbusters.  

Your memory is being selective.  

2014 summer gave us  Dawn of the Planet of Apes, Days of Future Past, Guardians of the Galaxy, HTTYD 2, Edge of Tomorrow and 22 Jump Street ....

Oops I see lots of people already given their glorious 2014 lists already...;)

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blanks McCoy said:

Guess I'll just add the cancellation fee to my running profit margin I'm keeping track of and once I finally make up the loss in money, that'll be when I cancel

Yep, that's your best bet if you can't afford the year. See a bunch of movies and cancel when you've seen enough that the fee still doesn't cause you to lose money. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, James said:

I wanna see Bourne, Inferno and Fantastic Beasts and be done with this year. Nothing else really justifies paying for a ticket (I'll torrent Star Trek and Assassin's Creed tho:P).

Cool story, thief. 

• Like 1