WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

29 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Yeah, why haven't studios fallen over themselves to make a movie out of a minor Dahl book?

Dahl isn't box office poison as much as all of his most popular stories have already been filmed.

You may mock but I think The Twits would make a great film. Rather than live action, maybe it could be animated either in CG by Illumination or WAG or stop motion either by Laika or Aardman

24 minutes ago, Jack Nevada said:

One aspect that hasn't been mentioned enough: the mo-cap giant in BFG looks hideous and frightening. Can't blame the kids for not wanting to see it. 

Kids love him. 20-year-olds think he looks horrifying. 

• Like 6

Just now, tribefan695 said:

I imagine he doesn't hold a candle to kids compared with Nemo or the minions 

Plus kids today are watching superhero movies. There's really no market for something like The BFG anymore.

2 hours ago, La Binoche said:

Whoever is writing all these articles about Spielberg having "lost his magic touch" should be fired. 

The man broke box office records in the '70s, '80s and '90s but it's been a while since he has set any records. So these articles are late. And I take it they're talking about records since his movies, if no longer record breakers, still make money (Lincoln was a big hit just a few years ago). 

And more important, he's still making quality movies (Bridges of Spies was one of the best movies of last year) so he's doing fine and no director should be expected to keep breaking box office records decade after decade...after decade after decade. 

Fire all these dumb box office analysts! 

Spielberg also has less interest in making blockbusters these days.

Las 5 years Spielberg has made TINTIN, WAR HORSE, LINCOLN, BoS and BFG.

Haven't watched WAR HORSE and BFG.

But TINTIN, LINCOLN and BoS to me are all > A- (TINTIN A; LINCOLN A; BoS A-)

14 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Yes, WALL-E is great. It's also 8 years old (and so is my reaction).

But based on some of the comments made around here, that's just a blink of an eye for you. :P

• Like 1

This summer on the studio level is making me feel REMARKABLY cynical. There hasn't been a single film geared towards adults that either looks halfway good or hasn't fallen flat on its face at the box office (Conjuring 2 being a sort of exception, even that declined from the original criticaly and commercially). Where are the Swiss Army Mans or Lobsters of the studio set? If I were a studio head looking at 2016 I would only want to make 4-quad family films and that's terrifying. I don't even have a problem with many of these films themselves (I'm a well spoken Zootopia fan) but we need diversity and variety in the marketplace. It can't be CGI and comic books and beat-for-beat remakes of 80s and 90s films. 

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, Gopher said:

This summer on the studio level is making me feel REMARKABLY cynical. There hasn't been a single film geared towards adults that either looks halfway good or hasn't fallen flat on its face at the box office (Conjuring 2 being a sort of exception, even that declined from the original criticaly and commercially). Where are the Swiss Army Mans or Lobsters of the studio set? If I were a studio head looking at 2016 I would only want to make 4-quad family films and that's terrifying. I don't even have a problem with many of these films themselves (I'm a well spoken Zootopia fan) but we need diversity and variety in the marketplace. It can't be CGI and comic books and beat-for-beat remakes of 80s and 90s films. 

This year proves that it absolutely can be that. 9 out of 10 movies already fit that category, lol. I hope you like Dwayne Johnson. He's the only alternative.

And he's going to be a main voice in a WDAS feature in November so, *deflating tire sound*.