grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

1 hour ago, Jack Nevada said:

I guess I've finally become one of those people who don't go see kids movies because it feels creepy. 

a few months ago seeing The Incredibles on the big screen I shushed a noisy 5-years-old behind me, 10 seconds later I realised what I had done and felt very bad about it.

An adult telling a child to shut up in a kids movie. And oh, I was alone.

Can't be more creepy than that.

Edited by Goffe

I have rarely seen children actually enhance a movie experience.

Although while seeing The Secret Life of Pets last weekend one little kid said "uh oh!" out loud at one big moment and the whole theater laughed because of it.

7 minutes ago, JediJones said:

Here's another box office measurement to look at. GB1 was the 2nd biggest movie of 1984 and GB2 was the 7th biggest movie of 1989, domestically. Based on last year's chart, making $131 to $150 million would put GB16 at position 23 in the top 100.

Again, the entire premise of making a sequel, reboot or remake based on a brand name is to get a built-in audience to prop your box office up. It's not supposed to start you off at a disadvantage because you did something to tick off the original fans. There was simply no point in making this movie if that was going to be the approach. They should've used the budget to let Paul Feig make 3 of his cheaper, non-brand-name movies instead.

I can already tell your tenure on this site (you just joined an hour ago) is gonna be very short lived.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I can already tell your tenure on this site (you just joined an hour ago) is gonna be very short lived.

Is that the kind of warm welcome you provide all your new members? I made a rock solid point and you reply with a personal attack instead of anything to dispute my argument. I'm hardly new to box office analysis. I've been a longtime reader of BoxOfficeMojo and was an active member of their old forums. Turning me away because you disagree with me is as petty and cheap as you could get. Is this forum for debate or to be an echo chamber?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I have rarely seen children actually enhance a movie experience.

Although while seeing The Secret Life of Pets last weekend one little kid said "uh oh!" out loud at one big moment and the whole theater laughed because of it.

Kids are idiots, thats why SLOP is doing so well

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

That's not even a theatrical release though

And yes, Transformers 1986 is great

That's so weird. I remember watching it in theaters. Maybe there were special limited releases. I remember having to travel forever to find it too, same several years later with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

10 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I like Ghostbusters 2. Do Re Egon is gut busting levels of funny. 2nd half is too cheesy for its own good. But I still enjoy it.

I actually enjoy Ghostbusters 2 myself. Everything with Janosz is gold, and the courtroom scene is one of my favorite scenes from either film.

10 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

The Honest Trailer released a couple days ago is one of the most HONEST I've seen.

It may be honest, but the film certainly didn't kill the franchise like it claims, even if it was meant as a joke. The cartoon The Real Ghostbusters still ran for a few more seasons, although it got some heavy changes from stupid censors, and was heavily kidified even as far as cartoons go, but it was still on the air.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I like Ghostbusters 2. Do Re Egon is gut busting levels of funny. 2nd half is too cheesy for its own good. But I still enjoy it.

Its cheesy but I *LOVE* the "Statue of Liberty coming to save the day" part with Higher and Higher playing. By itself, that scene elevates a mostly bad movie into one that I'm determined to force my kids to watch.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

That's so weird. I remember watching it in theaters. Maybe there were special limited releases. I remember having to travel forever to find it too, same several years later with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=transformers.htm

Transformers: The Movie got a theatrical release, it didn't do so well though, it was released in less then 1000 theaters though, and it led to the GI Joe movie being released straight to video.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Goffe said:

a few months ago seeing The Incredibles on the big screen I shushed a noisy 5-years-old behind me, 10 seconds later I realised what I had done and felt very bad about it.

An adult telling a child to shut up in a kids movie. And oh, I was alone.

Can't be more creepy than that.

I have no problem with that. Saw Ghostbusters this afternoon, and we were sitting in front a family that made an entirely inadequate attempt to keep their kids quiet. It was mostly tolerable for me, but I later found out the kids spent the whole movie kicking the backs of my wife and younger daughter's seats. Ghostbusters isn't "Welcome home, Bambi" or whatever, but there is no movie too kid-oriented that it can't be ruined by poorly controlled kids. They're pretty inventive.

Ghostbusters 2 more or less killed the franchise. The cartoon and toy line limped along for only another year or two, the normal amount of gas left in the tank you'd expect after a movie release. I watched every cartoon, had every toy and watched the original movie 200 times on VHS by the time of the sequel's release, and felt it was a big let-down. Ghostbusters 2 was unquestionably a disappointing film for most people, especially judging by how it opened on par with Last Crusade but ended up grossing not much more than half the total in the end. Siskel and Ebert's review of it was right on the mark.

Nevertheless, fans like myself would've been pumped to see a redemption of the franchise by a superior Ghostbusters 3. No one expected it could be as good as the original, but it certainly could have been as much of an improvement as MIB3 was over MIB2.

• Like 2