grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

4 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Why do you call Ghostbusters WYNGC????

Who you not gonna call

FTF Fuck the fish

The V Tarzan ( a review from a female critic where she gushed over Skarsgard abs and his V)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, James said:

That would mean an 11.3-11.4m weekend for Tarzan (-48%) and a 10.4-10.5m one for Dory (-50%).

And CI might register an under 30% drop. Amazing for it. 

So 130m for Tarzan and 135-140m for CI in the end. Really Good.

I don't understand your math :mellow:

8 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I'm not going to respond to all of Jedi Jones stuff except to say that in no way shape or form did Ghostbusters have anywhere near the fan base that Indy does. Indy has four movie, a TV series and written work. It stayed relevant over the years. Ghostbusters didnt.

I could be wrong, but that must be due to the fact that Indy happened to have three solidly crafted films that all received great reviews and fantastic box office, right? I wonder what would have happened had Ghostbusters 2 been as well received, critically speaking, as the first.

• Like 1

Just now, Cochofles said:

I could be wrong, but that must be due to the fact that Indy happened to have three solidly crafted films that all received great reviews and fantastic box office, right? I wonder what would have happened had Ghostbusters 2 been as well received, critically speaking, as the first.

Then they probably would have made a third as well. And the perhaps it would be in the conversation.

As I said....Pretty big drops.

Pets about 52

Dory and V about 48

Strange as there really wasn't a big film to mute the grosses.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, bladels said:

I don't understand your math :mellow:

? It's basic calculation using a 25% Sunday drop for Tarzan and a 35% one for Dory. Admittedly, Dory might end up closer to a 30% drop.

Edited by James

16.9 + 16.2 = 33.1

GB will need 11.9 on Sun to get 45.

That's 26.54% drop. Should manage it.

23.45% drop will give it 12.5 Sun and 45.5 weekend.

46 looks tough as it will need a 20.37% Sun drop.

GB vs CI will be fun  to track.

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

kids movies dont drop 30% in the heart of summer. Sub 25% for sure.

I'm a dumbass. I calculated looking at Dory's Mojo page and I confused the Sunday week-to-week drops with the Sat-Sun drops:sadben:

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

kids movies dont drop 30% in the heart of summer. Sub 25% for sure.

I think sub 25 is unrealistic. Sub 30 for sure.....in fact I'll say 26%.

6 minutes ago, Baumer said:

As I said....Pretty big drops.

Pets about 52

Dory and V about 48

Strange as there really wasn't a big film to mute the grosses.

Also, last weekend was post ID weekend and DORY and LOT were up against a big OW from PETS.

So am surprised that both of them did not show a better hold this weekend.

PETS hold is good imo. It will behave neither like IO nor like MINIONS but in the middle.

It's matched MINION's 2nd weekend after being 12m behind in OW.

(Worth noting that IO surpassed both of them in the 2nd weekend despite opening 14m less than PETS and 26m less than MINIONS)

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

No Deadline update today?

They must be bored lol

RTH is better than DL.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cochofles said:

:(

I wish things were different. Seriously, I loved all four GBs (plus Kevin), and I truly want to see these characters in more adventures, but, unless a miraculous wom-fueled multiplier materializes, these utterly meh numbers will certainly not justify a sequel.

I am so depressed; I wish I had hated the movie...

I'll be surprised if this doesn't get a sequel. Whether it deserves it aside, they may lower the budget and try again.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JediJones said:

Girlbusters is a colossal failure any way you look at it. This was one of the greatest brand names in movies, a visible franchise that has never stopped producing tie-in comic books and merchandise, one of the dormant properties with the biggest nostalgia and built-in fanbase based on an original movie that has proved timeless in its content if not in all of its effects. Just like Indiana Jones, knock-offs of the basic premise have been produced and been successful for years while the franchise remained dormant. Ghostbusters outgrossed Temple of Doom in 1984 and had an almost equal opening week to Last Crusade in 1989. Arguably, Ghostbusters had retained an even more enthusiastic fanbase than Indiana Jones with more cosplay action and a wider array of successful merchandise for many years up to the point of the new movie's release. If Sony had produced a proper sequel that respected the vast, rich 30-year legacy of the Ghostbusters universe, the way that was done for Star Wars and in an even more apt comparison Indiana Jones, the movie would have had a massive opening similar to Crystal Skull.

What we're seeing with the box office performance is flat-lining interest from the actual fans who should've been the built-in audience that gets satisfied first before an attempt to expand on the audience was made. The Thursday preview numbers, especially from premium format screens, were atrocious and paled in comparison to the advance sales we're seeing for Star Trek and Suicide Squad, films making every attempt to satisfy their fanbase first. Those are the screenings that the fans would've filled up under normal circumstances. Instead Sony said, screw the Ghostbusters fans, and is trying to cobble together an audience from the most casual moviegoers, resulting in a deeply depressed box office performance compared to the guaranteed potential that was there. When you take what may be the biggest comedy franchise of all time, with a huge curiosity factor as to where the story could have gone in a sequel, and can only muster up a box office performance on par with the last no-name Paul Feig comedy, you are doing everything all wrong.

For the supporters of the cinematic abortion Girlbusters to be spinning a chance for it to maybe, possibly break even in the long, long run as some kind of success is simply preposterous. This is as much of a wrongheaded reboot and a box office disappointment as Superman Returns was. There is only one way for Sony to redeem the franchise and that is to do what WB did with Superman Returns, pretend it never happened and do something different and more respectful to the original film next time. Superman is not supposed to be an absentee father with a bastard Superkid and the Ghostbusters are not supposed to be 4 women. There are basic lines you don't cross with a property if you want to avoid destroying the essence of what made its characters likable and popular in the first place.

LOL you're that same person I saw hating on the IMDB boards.  LOLOLOLOLOl no

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baumer said:

Who you not gonna call

FTF Fuck the fish

The V Tarzan ( a review from a female critic where she gushed over Skarsgard abs and his V)

I had been wondering what the hell movie you guys were talking about.

• Like 2