grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

Just now, goldenstate5 said:

I've seen more prayers than actual chaos in this thread so far :lol:

...then again, numbers have yet to occur. It's just the safe times for now. May we remember these hours like the soldiers remember peace on Christmas Day in wartime. :ohmyzod:

Ready to sing silent night?

• Like 1

I'm predicting or rather expecting soft preview numbers.  I'm thinking around 3.  I know you can't judge just by one or two theaters, but me and Goffe both had about 20-30 people in our showings.

• Like 1

I'm with Baumer on this one. Also because I noticed its IMAX was weak as heck so it's not going to benefit from those prices and its 3D was meh to decent so the majority of its tickets were 2D. Im thinking $3-3.5M. 

Just now, Nova said:

I'm with Baumer on this one. Also because I noticed its IMAX was weak as heck so it's not going to benefit from those prices and its 3D was meh to decent so the majority of its tickets were 2D. Im thinking $3-3.5M. 

10 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I'm predicting or rather expecting soft preview numbers.  I'm thinking around 3.  I know you can't judge just by one or two theaters, but me and Goffe both had about 20-30 people in our showings.

Could it even manage $3m if showings are reportedly so empty? :(

Based purely on personal evidence - in this case, gauging the crowd size of last night's IMAX preview with the Independence Day IMAX preview at the same location three weeks ago - I'm not expecting a whole lot out of Ghostbusters's preview numbers. That being said, neither The Heat nor Spy made much from their previews, so I wouldn't take it as a sure sign of disaster if it only lands somewhere around $2-3 million.

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Could it even manage $3m if showings are reportedly so empty? :(

I don't think the showings were "empty" and again thats just from two or theaters out of how many across the country.  Its sold decently well in pre-sales so I don't see why it couldn't hit $3M. I would be shocked if it didn't hit that number. I just dont expect it to benefit from IMAX/3D the way your typical blockbuster would based on its pre-sales. If it was selling IMAX and 3D tickets like your typical blockbuster, I would have it at $4-4.5M. 

Based on this Im expecting it to play out like a McCarthy style comedy.

Having $3M in previews and still having a very good OW north of $40M, imo. 

Edited by Nova

I'll try and find a few comparisons:

21 Jump Street - 700k

The Heat - 1M

Spy - 1.5M

Pixels - 2M

Fury Road - 3.7M

22 Jump Street - 5.5M

Pitch Perfect 2 - 4.6M

Tammy - 1.3M

Trainwreck - 1.8M

Poltergeist - 1.4M

Clash of the Titans - 1.6M

A Nightmare on Elm Street - 2.3M

For the most part, I tried to get female targeted comedies, Feig movies, and 80s reboots.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Won't Ghostbusters have problems next weekend when Lights Out comes out? Both movies are targeting the same auidence, teen girls.

Lights Out is a horror. I think you're thinking of Nerve which comes out at the end of July. Also Ghostbusters isn't targeting teen girls and even if it was those teen girls better have the right state of mind and go see Ghostbusters over Nerve which looks horrendous. 

Edited by Nova

5 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Won't Ghostbusters have problems next weekend when Lights Out comes out? Both movies are targeting the same auidence, teen girls.

I don't think teen girls are the target for Ghostbusters.....certainly not the only target they were going for.

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

Lights Out is a horror. I think you're thinking of Nerve which comes out at the end of July. Also Ghostbusters isn't targeting teen girls and even if it was those teen girls better have the right state of mind and go see Ghostbusters over Nerve which looks horrendous. 

Young females are usually the biggest audience for horror films opening weekend.