MinaTakla

Weekend Thread | Bourne 60M, Trek 24M, Bad Moms 23.4M, Pets 18.2M

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

So you're proving my point basically. It's not so much that Leo is this major draw on his own, it's that he takes the right kinds of roles 90% of the time. Again, Denzel makes B movies into 100m successes. When will Leo? 

Well, when Leo finally enters his "I don't give a shit" stage- which maybe might happen now that he no longer has to worry about winning that goddamn Oscar?- like Denzel sorta kinda has, maybe he will.

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Leo has never made a shitty/generic film successful like Denzel has done countless times,  so I still don't consider him the level of draw that Denzel is. It's one thing for people to flock to your films when you're in an awards buzzed about film with an awards buzzed about performance or a big budget Nolan or classic literature based flick.  It's quite another when an actor gets entirely generic B movies with poor or mediocre reception near or over the century mark. The closest Leo has ever come to doing what Denzel does is with Shutter Island, and even that was a fairly big budget Scorsese production with decent reception. 

I think Leo could do it, but for the sake of comparison I would love to see Denzel be able to work with who Leo has and see what he could do.  Leo's has had the privilege of working with the following directors since 2000....

Alejandro Inarritu 

Martin Scorsese x 5

Baz Luhrmann

Quentin Tarantino

Clint Eastwood

Christopher Nolan

Sam Mendes

Ridley Scott

Edward Zwick

Steven Spielberg

Danny Boyle

That is flat out ridiculous and pretty much guarantees you success.  The worst movie out of the bunch was a Ridley Scott or Clint Eastwood movie and even those were pretty damn good.  Denzel on the other hand has worked with.....

Antoine Fuqua

Baltasar Kormakur

Robert Zemeckis

Daniel Espinosa

Tony Scott x 4

The Hughes Brothers

Ridley Scott

Spike Lee

Jonathan Demme

Carl Franklin

Nick Cassavetes

Himself x 2

Boaz Yakin

Quite the striking difference.  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, DAR said:

Has there been anything dropped from Passengers?  Like even a still from the movie?

Teaser on August 1, trailer on August 4.

Everything else that dropped besides a poster and a logo was leaked, and not in real trailer form (it was pulled from a sizzle reel.)

Just now, John Marston said:

Denzel is a draw but most of his movies only get to 100m or a little less. Not 150m. Overseas he is totally a non factor 

You're obviously missing my whole point. Denzel gets movies to 100m that literally no one else could, including Leo. When he actually does something truly appealing or buzzed about, like say American Gangster, they do even better. And I never said one thing about OS draws. I have no clue how Mag7 does there. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

JLaw drawing power already looks to be fading 

Based on two franchise movies that didn't quite live up to expectations (one of which she was one member of a massive ensemble) and a movie that was always a tough sell? Whatever you say, I guess.

• Like 1

Draw power should be about how much extra the actor nabs a film in gross, not just how many huge 150m+ hits an actors in. Titanic, Catch Me If You Can, The Departed, Inception, Django, Gatsby...these were all movies very much set up for success and appeal regardless of the star. Now I will say that The Revenant is one of the few cases I think Leo's draw power really was the driving force of success, since it had the whole "give Leo an oscar" narrative pushing it. 

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

Based on two franchise movies that didn't quite live up to expectations (one of which she was one member of a massive ensemble) and a movie that was always a tough sell? Whatever you say, I guess.

the last Hunger Games underperformed. She was totally a non factor in X men and Joy was a financial flop (it had a 60m budget) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Draw power should be about how much extra the actor nabs a film in gross, not just how many huge 150m+ hits an actors in. Titanic, Catch Me If You Can, The Departed, Inception, Django, Gatsby...these were all movies very much set up for success and appeal regardless of the star. Now I will say that The Revenant is one of the few cases I think Leo's draw power really was the driving force of success, since it had the whole "give Leo an oscar" narrative pushing it. 

lol The Great Gatsby likely wouldn't have made 1/4th of what it did without Leo. He really made that movie into a must-see event.

Just now, filmlover said:

lol The Great Gatsby likely wouldn't have made 1/4th of what it did without Leo. He really made that movie into a must-see event.

Riiiiiiiight, because it clearly wasn't the big budget eye catching production or adaptation of one of the most read books ever that helped it.

Nope, it was all Leo.

:kitschjob:

• Like 2

Passengers will be the first real test for JLaw because it'll be her first movie since 2011 (or right before she became "JLaw") that is neither a franchise flick or an Oscar-type vehicle aside from House at the End of the Street (lol) and Serena (double lol).

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

the last Hunger Games underperformed. She was totally a non factor in X men and Joy was a financial flop (it had a 60m budget) 

The last Hunger Games under performed compared to their predecessors yes, but by all means was it not a success for Lionsgate.

Furthermore, the source material (the last book) was divisive among the fandom and the weakest among the three books. It was always going to do less than the others.

Edited by VinceMichaudC
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah that was his romantic lead roots, making women swoon. Leo is defintiely a bigger draw than Denzel, i dont think that's even a question. I mean he at one point was the biggest movie star on the planet ( probably still is) when Titanic hit.

Edited by babz06

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Riiiiiiiight, because it clearly wasn't the big budget eye catching production or adaptation of one of the most read books ever that helped it.

Nope, it was all Leo.

:kitschjob:

Please, it was banished from a Christmas release because they knew it was doomed as an actual Oscar player. As babz said, it also put Leo in a "heartthrob" kind of role that he's largely avoided on purpose ever since Titanic.