MinaTakla

Weekend Thread | Bourne 60M, Trek 24M, Bad Moms 23.4M, Pets 18.2M

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Say it again. People think is the 90s again with these over the top predictions for Passengers and Mag 7 just because of the actors in it 

I'm not making any prediction on Passengers and it is way too simplistic to say that is going on with Magnificent Seven.  

That movie is legit good, plays well to all demos, has a great cast and has really good marketing.  

If what you say is the case, then where are the outlandish predictions for Sully and Inferno?  I mean, they have Tom Hanks and everything!

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I mean yeah... But we have to deal in hypotheticals. Its kinda the basis of everything we do

And I'm hear to disapprove some of those statements / beliefs particularly the ones I consider a bit more outrageous like anyone would.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

4 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

I disagree.  He was known and the trailer with him shirtless / workout transformation helped sell the movie.  He also was coming off the Lego Movie being a big hit.  

He absolutely is responsible for a good chunk of the Jurassic World audience.  

lol voice work doesn't count man.

Before that his biggest roles were supporting parts in a slew of movies (Wanted, Moneyball, Zero Dark Thirty, Her). And Parks & Rec was more of a cult hit than a mainstream one (plus he was part of an ensemble there). Saying that audiences had any real knowledge of him other than a passing one is very lacking in hindsight.

• Like 5

I don't think people saw GOTG because of Pratt, but it was a star-making turn. He obviously helped with the great reviews and insane WOM. After GOTG he became a star, but I think it's pretty clear he wasn't one going into it. I knew him from Parks and Rec, and while he was hilarious in that, I didn't think he could pull off being an A-list headliner. I think he certainly on his way, with Mag 7 looking to be a huge hit, and Passengers having that potential.

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Say it again. People think is the 90s again with these over the top predictions for Passengers and Mag 7 just because of the actors in it 

Denzel is the most irrefutable draw in the business. He can and does take direct to video worthy horseshit to 100m that would be lucky to make a quarter of that without him. Pratt is in the two biggest breakouts of 2014 and 2015. Even if he's not a confirmed draw, everyone knows who he is right now and I'd make a strong assumption he's well liked among the GA. The western has made a huge comeback this decade, with three big hits the likes of which hadn't been seen in the genre for well over a decade prior (True Grit, Django, and The Revenant). Mag 7 is a remake of a very well known and successful western, much like True Grit before it. The trailer made the film look very appealing to modern audience, it didn't at all seem like some dated Western. Sully is the only real direct competitor in all of September, and let's be real that movie isn't going to do more than say a Bridge of Spies type run. Need any more reasons?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

lol voice work doesn't count man.

Before that his biggest roles were supporting parts in a slew of movies (Wanted, Moneyball, Zero Dark Thirty, Her). And Parks & Rec was more of a cult hit than a mainstream one (plus he was part of an ensemble there). Saying that audiences had any real knowledge of him other than a passing one is very lacking in hindsight.

Audiences had a long time to discover him leading up to Guardians just based on the promotion of the film.  Pratt was everywhere and even on the female driven entertainment shows with stories about his body transformation.  

The vast majority of the Guardians audience didn't walk in cold not knowing who he was.  If anything, a lot of that audience walked in not knowing what in the hell the Guardians of the Galaxy were.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Well, Jennifer Lawrence is considered one of the few exceptions to the rule that the particular star doesn't add much in box office.   She's generally credited with being the reason Joy did $17M OW despite the reviews it got.  It takes a decent movie to break out, but I think a lot of people are looking forward to seeing Jen and Pratt together simply because they are Jen and Pratt.

And this gets a lot more attention from the Hunger Games fans than Jen's other movies have.  They already have a couple name: Jimora. (Jim Preston, Aurora Dunn.)

I think we may have a marriage of two usually disparate filmgoing audiences here, as well as two popular stars. We'll see, I guess.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Zoolander 2 proves Ferrell has zero pull these days.

Zoolander 2 was a Ben Stiller project through and through co-starring all of his famous friends. The blame there is all on him.

4 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

As much as we can't prove that Pratt is a draw we are equally unable to prove that he isn't a draw

He needs to do a movie where he alone is the draw, not one that is brand-based (Guardians, Jurassic) or has a big co-star with him.

That said, it's hilarious how much more exposure the marketing for The Magnificent Seven is giving him compared to the other five, including the much-more-established Hawke.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Zoolander 2 proves Ferrell has zero pull these days.

Then what do you say about Daddy's Home?

Zoolander 2 had no interest from anyone. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Zoolander 2 was a Ben Stiller project through and through co-starring all of his famous friends. The blame there is all on him.

He needs to do a movie where he alone is the draw, not one that is brand-based (Guardians, Jurassic) or has a big co-star with him.

That said, it's hilarious how much more exposure the marketing for The Magnificent Seven is giving him compared to the other five, including the much-more-established Hawke.

It is very very smart of them.  Pratt is the star of the movie as much as Denzel is and their chemistry is great.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Is Pratt the main star of Passengers?

Maybe that will be the first, true test of his star power.

In the original script he had the most time, but JL gets top billing and it is clear from casting calls that there have been significant changes to the script.  Still, they poll that sort of stuff, so deadline may have some numbers on draw after it opens.  Mag7 too, for that matter.  And I agree, Mag7 looks more like an event film of the like of True Grit than like an often disposable genre western.

Edited by trifle