MinaTakla

Weekend Thread | Bourne 60M, Trek 24M, Bad Moms 23.4M, Pets 18.2M

Star Trek Beyond is a solid/competent/fun movie. The problem with it, and with the new Star Wars too, is that they're both uninspired and not particularly meaningful.  These are supposed to be sci-fi epics that can use their respective universes to speak to and explore radical ideas (of inclusiveness, justice, ethical ways of being, etc) within the safety of their fantastical/futuristic worlds. On a superficial level they may nod to some of these ideas; however, they ultimately feel safe and timid and calculated, rather than truly exploring anything substantive, and thus fail to inspire. I didn't leave either movie feeling galvanized or awakened. IMO, of course.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

To this day, it boggles the mind that someone gave Sarah Drew a lead role in a movie. And yeesh, poor Sean Astin.

Well considering who's behind it I doubt they could afford anyone else. At least Astin had The Strain although I saw where he was in the new Netflix Adam Sandler movie which is a step back. Speaking of which good to see Kathryn Hahn in a successful role after that movie. 

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Who and who? 

Certainly you recognize Sean Astin from Lord of the Rings, at least.

Sarah Drew is from Grey's Anatomy and is literally the most annoying person that's ever been on that show. Sitting through an entire movie of her sounds unbearable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

This really is the summer of No Staying Power.

The Summer of low 100s:

ID:R (should have hit $150M)

Conjuring 2 (could've made $20M more)

Angry Birds (could've made $30M more)

Central Intelligence

Tarzan (could have made $170M)

I think spring summer-like releases like BvS, Jungle Book & Zootopia soaked up all the summer hype

Overcrowding creates over-competition, potential mid-tier cuts off each other legs  to become minor hits.

2016 : the Summer of Wasteful Competition?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Certainly you recognize Sean Astin from Lord of the Rings, at least.

Sarah Drew is from Grey's Anatomy and is literally the most annoying person that's ever been on that show. Sitting through an entire movie of her sounds unbearable.

Don't forget Goonies. I know he hasn't done much of worth in a while but I didn't know he disappeared into obscurity.

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Jason Bourne's attendance drop will

be totally normal. Better than the MI movies I think even 

The 1st two MI movies adjust to $300M+

Ghost Protocol & Rogue Nation doing around $200M

is nothing to sneeze at

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rman823 said:

Don't forget Goonies. I know he hasn't done much of worth in a while but I didn't know he disappeared into obscurity.

He most likely puts his family over everything else these days, especially after the passing of his mother (the late, great Patty Duke) earlier this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

He most likely puts his family over everything else these days, especially after the passing of his mother (the late, great Patty Duke) earlier this year.

He was pretty good in Woodlawn which I got to say is one of the better Christian films even if it does feel like a ripoff of movies like Remeber the Titans.

Edited by Rman823
  • Like 1

6-7M is a Friday bump of 39.5-63% for TREK.

GHOSTB was up 66% on 2nd Friday and 37% on Sat.

7 + 10 (+43%) + 7.7 (-23%) = 24.7 is the max I see TREK doing this weekend (-58.3%).

23.7 (-60%) is likely if the number is even a bit lower than the high end.

Edited by a2knet

27 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Star Trek Beyond is a solid/competent/fun movie. The problem with it, and with the new Star Wars too, is that they're both uninspired and not particularly meaningful.  These are supposed to be sci-fi epics that can use their respective universes to speak to and explore radical ideas (of inclusiveness, justice, ethical ways of being, etc) within the safety of their fantastical/futuristic worlds. On a superficial level they may nod to some of these ideas; however, they ultimately feel safe and timid and calculated, rather than truly exploring anything substantive, and thus fail to inspire. I didn't leave either movie feeling galvanized or awakened. IMO, of course.

Peace,

Mike

No one has ever felt awakened after walking out of any of the movies featuring what are essentially space wizards wielding swords of energy in various colors. What in the blue hell are you talking about?