MinaTakla

Weekend Thread | Bourne 60M, Trek 24M, Bad Moms 23.4M, Pets 18.2M

1 minute ago, James said:

That might be your WORST prediction ever. Where is your enthusiasm for DC. Disappointing. 

I am predicting 125/275. Seems quite enthusiastic to me :lol: 

6 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Mag 7 is being overpredicted, westerns generally don't do that well. Because of the cast i see it going over 100m but barely. 

You guys are going to be very wrong on Magnificent Seven.  It is damn good and a crowd pleaser with the always reliable Denzel and a legit box office star in Pratt.  

• Like 7

1 minute ago, nilephelan said:

You guys are going to be very wrong on Magnificent Seven.  It is damn good and a crowd pleaser with the always reliable Denzel and a legit box office star in Pratt.  

That's what I like to hear (you've seen it or are just guessing?) still, Django was fabulous but still didn't cross 200.

19 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Bad moms is just one more example of how most people at this site can't read adult skewing films. There is absolutely no interest in the Bad mom's thread and when people first saw the trailer for it they all said it would probably disappoint or bomb or not do well or anything except for that it would do well. It's the kind of movie definitely appeals to an older crowd and I think they did really well marketing it to that crowd.  

Correct.  I said the day the trailer came out that it was going to be a break out hit based on the reaction of 25-45 year old women alone.  They picked a perfect release date and it is content that a large and underserved demographic was going to eat up as long as the movie wasn't complete shit.  

The board here in general sways way more to young male comic book and action nerds and not surprising that the reaction on here was that they thought it looked bad.  STX is going to have a legit franchise on their hands if they are smart with this.  Should be able to squeeze out a sequel or even a trilogy and make $600m - $700m without much trouble.  

• Like 7

1 minute ago, nilephelan said:

I think 100-105m is a reasonable prediction  for this. September's biggest opener is Hotel Transylvania 2, i dont think a Westerner is going to break that record. If reviews/WOM is good it could probably leg it out to 115m-120m but Girl on The Train, Sully, The Accountant,Deepwater Horizon and probably a few Oscar contenders like Birth of a Nation will take a chunk out of it's mostly adult audience.  

have you guys seen the comments in the youtube page of the trailer for Bad Moms?

''This is how Hollywood wants all of America to act, so they don't feel like loner degenerates.''

:lol:

1 minute ago, Goffe said:

have you guys seen the comments in the youtube page of the trailer for Bad Moms?

''This is how Hollywood wants all of America to act, so they don't feel like loner degenerates.''

:lol:

I hope that's not an adult who wrote that because good lord.

4 minutes ago, babz06 said:

I think 100-105m is a reasonable prediction  for this. September's biggest opener is Hotel Transylvania 2, i dont think a Westerner is going to break that record. If reviews/WOM is good it could probably leg it out to 115m-120m but Girl on The Train, Sully, The Accountant,Deepwater Horizon and probably a few Oscar contenders like Birth of a Nation will take a chunk out of it's mostly adult audience.  

Denzel has gotten 3 worse (but still good) movies to essentially $100m+ in off months.  The bloody R rated Equalizer ($101m) in September, Safe House ($126m) in February and Book of Eli ($94m in 2010) in January.    

This is a crowd pleasing action film with a great cast, a female/younger draw in Pratt and a PG13 rating.  It is going to go well above those other movies.  

The other thing going for it is it will have been nearly 7 weeks or so between the last big budget action movie opening and Magnificent Seven opening.  People should be ready to go and have a good time at the movies after all the dumping material and somber dramas like Sully and Snowden.  

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, trifle said:

No Passengers?

I don't know about Mag7 but I think and hope you are wrong on Passengers.

Well, I hope so also. I would love to see them both do really well. Denzel is one of the most consistently entertaining actors and I like Pratt as well; BUT we are talking about a Western and a more serious, adult oriented Sci-fi movie. If they're going to go that high box office wise then it'll be because of extremely positive WOM as they both probably won't open that big, especially Passengers. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Denzel has gotten 3 worse (but still good) movies to essentially $100m+ in off months.  The bloody R rated Equalizer ($101m) in September, Safe House ($126m) in February and Book of Eli ($94m in 2010) in January.    

This is a crowd pleasing action film with a great cast, a female/younger draw in Pratt and a PG13 rating.  It is going to go well above those other movies.  

The other thing going for it is it will have been nearly 7 weeks or so between the last big budget action movie opening and Magnificent Seven opening.  People should be ready to go and have a good time at the movies after all the dumping material and somber dramas like Sully and Snowden.  

Snowden probably isn't going to make much either way. The movie has been delayed repeatedly, Oliver Stone has been largely irrelevant the last 20 years, and JGL isn't a draw at all.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1