MinaTakla

Weekend Thread | Bourne 60M, Trek 24M, Bad Moms 23.4M, Pets 18.2M

8 minutes ago, mrqe93 said:

So far, STX spent $115m on their movies (Hardcore Henry was said to have been acquired for $10m), and total gross for their movies is $214m WW including Bad Moms' OW. Everything Bad Moms does at this point will be a success for the studio

Hardcore was a 5M accqusation IIRC

4 minutes ago, mrqe93 said:

STX seems like a studio throwing random things at the wall to see what sticks - horror, thriller, action, historical action, etc. And that stickie turned out to be Bad Moms.

Pretty much. And now they have Bad Moms 2, Bad Moms 3, Worst Moms, Worst Moms 2, Worst Moms 3, Worse Moms, Worse Moms 2 and Worse Moms 3 followed by the Bad Grannies trilogy already planned out. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, a2knet said:

CONJ2 and APOC were not reported.

CONJ2 being WB and APOC being a CBM, they are/were due for a big drop when SS opens.

APOC closed on Thursday - Fox just didn't give a fuck lol

• Like 2

While the summer seems to have lacked mid-range hits, the total boxoffice is going to be comparable to 2015 when August is finished (Provided it can be a $1B month)

season to date $3.32b (2015 total is 4.48b)

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if Inferno ends up making more money than Ghostbusters. It'll probably do $200-250m OS with $100-110m domestically. 

I imagine Star Trek got a July release because Paramount needed a summer film. I personally think November would have been a better slot. 

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Inferno ends up making more money than Ghostbusters. It'll probably do $200-250m OS with $100-110m domestically. 

I imagine Star Trek got a July release because Paramount needed a summer film. I personally think November would have been a better slot. 

November looks crowded as hell. No way.

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

With few exceptions Japan is not a big market for Superheroes. DOFP did $9.9m

XA beat DOFP in a lot of markets including China.  Not sure if it will in Japan, but I wouldn't be surprised.

8 minutes ago, Nova said:

Pretty much. And now they have Bad Moms 2, Bad Moms 3, Worst Moms, Worst Moms 2, Worst Moms 3, Worse Moms, Worse Moms 2 and Worse Moms 3 followed by the Bad Grannies trilogy already planned out. 

They will probably do a BAD Moms 2 but looking at what's coming next. 

Edge of Seventeen- a teen comedy starring Hailee Stenfeld, who doesnt have a  good track record, the best that's going to get is probably 5-6m OW and around 13-15m total.

Desierto- a  drama film about Mexian immigrants; Gael Garcia Bernal is a good actor but he's not a star. The best this can hope for is around 8-9m total for this.

The Bye Bye Man- horror film so it could breakout depending on the marketing. Right now im going with 10m OW and 22m Total.

The Space Between Us- a sci-fi/romance space drama. Audience will likely be limited because its competing with Passengers. 9m OW 30-35m Total only because of Christmas legs. 

If STX wants to stay in the game they should stick to make more mid-budget comedies with stars,  and horror films. Dramas are risky nowadays unless you want to get into the Oscar game, where the box office results and awards season haul go almost hand in hand. Don't try to do too much or you'll end up like Relativity. 

Just now, trifle said:

XA beat DOFP in a lot of markets including China.  Not sure if it will in Japan, but I wouldn't be surprised.

It did worse in far more markets. - about $120m worse not including Japan.

China is a rapidly expanding market, Japan is not.  Even so XA beat DOFP $120.76m to $116.49m in China which is ~ 3.5%. A similar increase in Japan would be about $325k more

5 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

The only superheroes Japan cares about is Spider-man, Iron Man, and The Avengers.

Pretty much this.

Deadpool did almost $20M in Japan. I can't imagine Apoc making anywhere close to that. 

15 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

WTF.  That's even quicker than BvS closed.  That's just 9 weeks and it made $184k last weekend and never had it's second run expansion. :blink:

Yeah - it will probably be one of those films that end of the year gets an update in gross (Universal is really bad about that) cause it's still playing but Fox (per BOM) doesn't see it as worth their time to track....

I was shocked because FOX is known for tracking films to oblivion.... Course, it could be a mistake on BOM ;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, babz06 said:

They will probably do a BAD Moms 2 but looking at what's coming next. 

Edge of Seventeen- a teen comedy starring Hailee Stenfeld, who doesnt have a  good track record, the best that's going to get is probably 5-6m OW and around 13-15m total.

Desierto- a  drama film about Mexian immigrants; Gael Garcia Bernal is a good actor but he's not a star. The best this can hope for is around 8-9m total for this.

The Bye Bye Man- horror film so it could breakout depending on the marketing. Right now im going with 10m OW and 22m Total.

The Space Between Us- a sci-fi/romance space drama. Audience will likely be limited because its competing with Passengers. 9m OW 30-35m Total only because of Christmas legs. 

If STX wants to stay in the game they should stick to make more mid-budget comedies with stars,  and horror films. Dramas are risky nowadays unless you want to get into the Oscar game, where the box office results and awards season haul go almost hand in hand. Don't try to do too much or you'll end up like Relativity. 

The bye bye man? Who came up with that corny ass title. In fact, who green lit half of these movies. They all sound terrible. 

Edge of Seventeen may do fine because it is opening at TIFF but what the hell are the rest of the movies. 

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It did worse in far more markets. - about $120m worse not including Japan.

China is a rapidly expanding market, Japan is not.  Even so XA beat DOFP $120.76m to $116.49m in China which is ~ 3.5%. A similar increase in Japan would be about $325k more

You could be right, but even if it is $10M coming you would think Fox would still be tracking.  That alone would bring it to nearly $550M worldwide, in theatrical alone.  On a $170M budget, that's a success, if disappointing based on expectations.

Edited by trifle

4 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Yeah - it will probably be one of those films that end of the year gets an update in gross (Universal is really bad about that) cause it's still playing but Fox (per BOM) doesn't see it as worth their time to track....

I was shocked because FOX is known for tracking films to oblivion.... Course, it could be a mistake on BOM ;)

Fox didn't track Joy to the end, either.  I don't know how much difference it would have made, but at least a few countries were left out entirely.  Maybe' they've stopped tracking that far.