CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

2 hours ago, trifle said:

If the GA liked the resulting movies, the GA wouldn't care, imho.  I was kinda thinking the same thing with Superman.  If NECESSARY good guy Superman could fly to dark Gotham through a wormhole or something.  I'd prefer a straight reboot of at least him, though.

DC has the best opportunity right now to "reboot" this Superman they have. All they have to do is make him be reborn as a "different person", more optimistic and sure of his place in the world. Seriously, it can be done.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

If y'all keep up the D's in the Suicide Squad review thread it could challenge IDR as the forum's least favorite movie of the year (so far) :jeb!: 

if you look at the top 10 list for this forum, I'm not sure how reliable the taste of the forum can be...

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It'll just be something kids look back on and say, "I liked that?!?!?!"

Speaking of ruined childhoods, ignorant parents not doing their homework should make for some interesting stories at the cinema next weekend. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

If y'all keep up the D's in the Suicide Squad review thread it could challenge IDR as the forum's least favorite movie of the year (so far) :jeb!: 

Oh lawed, I'm so nervous about seeing it tomorrow. I gave BvS a C-, after all.

Off to see The Force Awakens under the stars with family. Bye ya'll.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Just went there to make sure that happens. Plus, the movie really deserves the D rating.

The lone positive review and it's from a Top Critic. It sounds like there wasn't a screening,  critics had to see it on their own which explains why so few reviews.

Yes, Nine Lives is dumb. Yes, it's for very young kids. Yes, Lil Bub has a cameo. And yes, I giggled anyway, as did the strange man next to me who'd smuggled in his own fish-scented snack

Full Review… | August 5, 2016

Amy Nicholson/  MTV

• Community Manager
12 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Saving people didn't make him miserable, the aftereffects of him saving people did, part of the public opinion considered him a god (cult of personality), and the other part was easily manipulated into hating him by individuals who twisted facts to fit their agenda. He started to ask himself whether he was doing the right thing or not.

He ran to the mountains because tons of people died because of him and under his watch in the senate bombing, they died because of his carelessness and lack of attention.

I find the conflict fascinating and tbh realistic. Today's society has strong opinions about everything, be it informed or misinformed, they are quick to make judgments. I could see them reacting in the real world in a similar way that they do in the film if Superman actually existed, and Superman not knowing what to make of those vocal, diverging opinions.

The people who complain he wasn't really Superman would argue that the whole point of his character is that he's better than us. That's how a human reacts, sure, but Superman is supposed to represent the best of humanity.

11 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

The Superman arcs in MOS and BVS are really fascinating. You've got a character who starts off not knowing if he should tell the world about himself, and then when he does still finds that he doesn't really have anyone to talk to. He's in an incredibly isolating position, which would play hell with any mental state. There's a reasonably good argument that the story of these Superman films is about dealing with depression.

What's really kinda neat is if you look at the other comparable metas, we see that they've isolated themselves from the world. Perhaps they've realized, at least unconsciously, that they need someone who can understand them in order to actually be able to keep doing the hero thing. Flash's line of "I need... friends" is pretty revealing, there. Justice League, seems like it could be setting up that what superheroes need isn't a team to help them fight supervillainy, but a peer group.

Of course, what MOS hits a snag at is that Supes' character arc probably asks for a focused and personal climax, but the conventions of the genre need something more, ahem, earth-shattering. So that creates a dissonance.

Problem is when you have a movie like Batman vs. Superman, a depressed Superman isn't what people want or what the story even calls for. It should be a story about optimism vs. cynicism. Superman represents optimism as a beacon of light and hope. Batman represents cynicism as a realist whose been influenced by the worst of humanity.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

It's probably a good thing you don't have a numerical grade because of your scale :lol: 

My scale is god awful. A movie needs to be really unwatchable trash for me to go under 6/10. 

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

The lone positive review and it's from a Top Critic. It sounds like there wasn't a screening,  critics had to see it on their own which explains why so few reviews.

Yes, Nine Lives is dumb. Yes, it's for very young kids. Yes, Lil Bub has a cameo. And yes, I giggled anyway, as did the strange man next to me who'd smuggled in his own fish-scented snack

Full Review… | August 5, 2016

Amy Nicholson/  MTV

I like Amy Nicholson. She was the one attacked back in 2012 by Marvel bros or Nolanites because of either Avengers or TDKR, can't remember well. Probably both, haha

10 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

DC has the best opportunity right now to "reboot" this Superman they have. All they have to do is make him be reborn as a "different person", more optimistic and sure of his place in the world. Seriously, it can be done.

Yeah, but I resent the origin story with the Kents, too.  Still, that would make the stand alone later films less teeth-gritting.  Not sure it would win me over to this Superman, though.  I'd rather a straight reboot.  Which doesn't matter since I am certain WB won't give it to me for at least another movie generation.