Impact

Best Original Score-2016

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

eh, Thomas Newman should have won that year. But if Zimmer didn't have an oscar his fanboys would be even more annoying. so i'll take that deal.

Gotta thank Menken for that. Without him, voters might not have gotten used to giving Disney movies both music awards.

zimmers score admittedly utilizes the songs way less than menken did. probably because he didn't write them, i think if he had used the songs for his themes he'd be ineligible (like the guy who did the frozen score). pretty big disconnect between his score and the elton john tunes.

10 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

zimmers score admittedly utilizes the songs way less than menken did. probably because he didn't write them, i think if he had used the songs for his themes he'd be ineligible (like the guy who did the frozen score). pretty big disconnect between his score and the elton john tunes.

The disconnect isn't a bad thing at all. Gives diversity to the soundtrack. Not sure what the rules were more than 20 years ago.

And without Hans Zimmer and Lebo Morake, "The Circle of Life" wouldn't be nearly as iconic as it is.

Edited by cannastop

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

Except the traditional practice is to distinguish between songs and dramatic underscoring in terms of music. When a lot of the dramatic underscoring uses themes from the songs, the underscoring is less original because of its dependence on other material.

I'm not disparaging the music in La La Land, just questioning the appropriateness of calling the dramatic underscoring as a whole "original."

The academy is weird, as that shouldn't be a standard in the first place.  I don't see how implementing and expanding upon themes from original music in the musical makes the movie's score not-original at all. 

But there are a number of themes used in the score that aren't from the songs too.  Such as Mia and Sebastian's theme, and various instrumental, jazz sections.

I think it should qualify for original score, but then again I think any original musical should qualify for original score.

My final predictions:

Hidden Figures. Score is great. Film is at its peak. Zimmer is well respected by AMPAS. And Pharrell name attached to it adds power.

La La Land. Another great score. A great romantic theme. Lot's of jazz. Vivid and memorable. And it is much more than just instrumental arrangements of the songs. Bonus points: the songs are written by the same composer.

Moonlight. Powerful yet simple themes. BP heat. Subtle but really enjoyable on its own.

Doctor Strange. Giacchino is on a roll and he has finished the year with two great scores. While R1 score is excellent, his theme for DS is awesome with the addition of weird and effective baroque/rock/eastern sounds not usually seen together. I am beting AMPAS music branch will embrace the gorgeous The Master of the Mystic End Credits.

Lion. Moving theme. Quite solid. And it's a BP movie.

Other contenders that will not happen, IMHO.

Moana. Mark Mancina score is nice. But lacks something really memorable.

Nocturnal Animals. Solid, but I can't feel it.

Jackie. After hearing a lot of strong buzz for Mica Levi, I was really disappointed with the score. Under the skin was better. Anyways, not my kind of scores... And neither is for AMPAS music branch.

Florence Foster Jenkins. You never know with Desplat, but this year looks a bit weaker than others, isnt it?

BFG. It's trully enjoyable with a beautiful theme, and they love Williams, but he's not nommed for everything. And this sounds a bit too much like a sum of Tintin, HP and Hook.

Passengers. It will be closer to a nom than most expect. They like a lot Thomas Newman and this is a solid score full of his style. But too many contenders?

• Like 1

On 11/1/2017 at 2:50 PM, slambros said:

I was surprised to see La La Land win for score at the Globes because when you think about it, most of the music borrows from the songs.

What if the songs borrow from the score? Everyone is assuming that first came the songs. Listening to Hurwitz work as a whole, my perception is he wrote some nice/great jazz motifs (song or not) and then he worked in the musical universe of La La Land.

• Like 1

On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:56 AM, stripe said:

Doctor Strange. Giacchino is on a roll and he has finished the year with two great scores. While R1 score is excellent, his theme for DS is awesome with the addition of weird and effective baroque/rock/eastern sounds not usually seen together. I am beting AMPAS music branch will embrace the gorgeous The Master of the Mystic End Credits.

Giacchino didn't write that track.

Rooting for Korzeniowski. Nocturnal Animals isn't my favourite score by him (still pretty good) but the dude wrote some incredible music for Penny Dreadful. Hoping a nod might give his career a boost.

12 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

Giacchino didn't write that track.

Rooting for Korzeniowski. Nocturnal Animals isn't my favourite score by him (still pretty good) but the dude wrote some incredible music for Penny Dreadful. Hoping a nod might give his career a boost.

He composed the theme, isn't it? He also wrote the baroque variations (there is a single track with that variations). I have not heard of any other composer. McCartney praised this score while Giacchino was recording it.

7 hours ago, stripe said:

He composed the theme, isn't it? He also wrote the baroque variations (there is a single track with that variations). I have not heard of any other composer. McCartney praised this score while Giacchino was recording it.

I don't have the CD with me (I've moved for work) but in the booklet that track is credited to some other guy whose name I can't remember.