Impact

Best Original Score-2016

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

There were like three minutes of original music that I noticed at all watching Arrival. I need to listen to the actual album but right now I'm mystified by people feeling so strongly about that score. 

This year I can't really say any score blew me away at all. There's been some that are close to pretty good, but usually there's at least a couple that get me ready for the stanning.

5 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

There were like three minutes of original music that I noticed at all watching Arrival. I need to listen to the actual album but right now I'm mystified by people feeling so strongly about that score. 

They probably just feel strongly about the movie.

29 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

This year I can't really say any score blew me away at all. There's been some that are close to pretty good, but usually there's at least a couple that get me ready for the stanning.

in that case i can tell you haven't seen the handmaiden. 

Edited by CoolioD1

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

on youtube there is like 10-12 original tracks by the composer

7 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Most of the music in Arrival wasn't bad, but it came off more like sound design, than as actual background music to me, if I'm being honest. 

It was very affective in the film, I'll give it that. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

My top scores I heard this year are still... The Witch, Midnight Special, and The Neon Demon I think? Oh, and The Childhood of a Leader. Plus the main track from Nocturnal Animals.

Normally that'd be really slim but I still have to hear La La Land, Jackie, Moonlight and The Handmaiden so there's hope. Plus there's whatever Reznor and Ross did on Patriot's Day.

Edited by Jake Gittes

La La Land winning would be a bit of a joke. The single most prominent and repeated musical theme in the movie, and which kicks off the end credits, is written for one of the songs.

From 1:30 to 2:20 and 3:05 to 3:45.

And then listen in the big instrumental finale piece in the film, from 1:16 to 2:52 (2:53 to 3:34 + another little blurt you have Audition's music, then City of Stars comes in at 5:44 to 6:33). Plus I am sure other cues I did not catch.

I'm not knocking the music at all, in fact it's pretty good, but that's not an original score, that's a score using an original song as its musical foundation.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 2

On 12/26/2016 at 7:02 AM, 4815162342 said:

La La Land winning would be a bit of a joke. The single most prominent and repeated musical theme in the movie, and which kicks off the end credits, is written for one of the songs.

From 1:30 to 2:20 and 3:05 to 3:45.

And then listen in the big instrumental finale piece in the film, from 1:16 to 2:52 (2:53 to 3:34 + another little blurt you have Audition's music, then City of Stars comes in at 5:44 to 6:33). Plus I am sure other cues I did not catch.

I'm not knocking the music at all, in fact it's pretty good, but that's not an original score, that's a score using an original song as its musical foundation.

That's not the actual score, that's the soundtrack.  There's also a score album without the songs.

Also, most musicals use the themes from their songs and play with them for some of the instrumental sections.  It's still completely original.  Hurwitz wrote it all.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, La La Panda said:

Also, most musicals use the themes from their songs and play with them for some of the instrumental sections.  It's still completely original.  Hurwitz wrote it all.

Except the traditional practice is to distinguish between songs and dramatic underscoring in terms of music. When a lot of the dramatic underscoring uses themes from the songs, the underscoring is less original because of its dependence on other material.

I'm not disparaging the music in La La Land, just questioning the appropriateness of calling the dramatic underscoring as a whole "original."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

eh, it's not so different from all the score oscars Menken won in the 90s. those have themes from the songs all up their ass. and i think those are some of the best scores ever and deserved their oscars. whaevs!

Can't deny that it's awesome to double dip and get twice the gold.