Impact

Best Original Score-2016

2 minutes ago, stripe said:

From what I have listened.

The score for Moonlight is subtle but powerful enough

Arrival is eerie and unconventional. Different in an interesting way

BFG is a minor Williams, but he is so damn good that this score is still in my top5 of the year

Doctor Strange is the best Marvel score yet

Horner won't be nommed for Magnificent 7. Sadly

Can't see Desplat being nommed for none of the 3 scores we have listened this year.

Nothing yet can be marked as a frontrunner. Still have faith in Rogue One, Fantastic Beasts, Passengers Moana or Allied. Am I missing something?

Jackie score got a lot of praise in the reviews. also i was just listening to the nocturnal animals score on spotify yesterday and it's gold.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I wonder if Arrival could be disqualified given that it prominently uses "On the Nature of Daylight."

Surely it wouldn't be the first nominee that uses pre-existing music alongside the original score. It's not like they're pretending Johannsson wrote it. It's not even his own special version of it or anything (a la In the Hall of the Mountain King in TSN, which went on to win). Should be fine. 

NO ARRIVAL?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :ohmygod: Add in another win to La La Land's sweep I suppose.

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

eligible scores: http://variety.com/2016/film/in-contention/oscars-academy-announces-145-eligible-original-scores-1201941419/

seems arrival and silence are really the only disqualifications of note. not surprised. how many people who raved arrival's score thought the max richter piece was an original?

I didn't expect that to make it ineligible. Makes zero sense to me.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

I mean, at least half the instrumental music in The Hateful Eight was from The Thing, Benjamin Button had early 20th century music playing throughout alongside the Desplat score, 127 Hours scored its entire climax to the wordless part of a Sigur Ros song. I don't think Arrival should have been nominated if only because I didn't actually hear more than a few minutes of original music in it, but I don't get why not make it eligible. Is there a rule that non-original instrumental music can only constitute a certain % of all the music heard in a movie?

Anyway:

The BFG

Fantastic Beasts

Jackie

La La Land (winner)

Moonlight

Alt.: Kubo and/or Light Between Oceans

Weird that The Witch isn't there either. Wouldn't expect it to be nominated in a hundred years but it's an original, distinctive score, and you'd think A24 remember it. Freaking High-Rise and Swiss Army Man are on the list. 

34 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Is there a rule that non-original instrumental music can only constitute a certain % of all the music heard in a movie?

The rule doesn't give a specific percentage:

E. A score shall not be eligible if:

1. it has been diluted by the use of pre-existing music, or
  2. it has been diminished in impact by the predominant use of songs or any music not composed specifically for the film by the submitting composer, or
  3. it has been assembled from the music of more than one composer.

In fact, with words like "diluted" and "diminished", they've left a lot of room for their own interpretation.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 2

I really love Rogue One score but I can't see it getting nommed. I can see a surprise nomination for Doctor Strange.

Both Jackie and La La land are the safest bets.

Then, there is a bunch of scores fighting for the other three spots.

Moonlight (subtle, nice theme, BP contender)

BFG (it's Williams. But it's seen as a minor Williams)

Doctor Strange (Giacchino snub last year hurts. Great year for him. Noticeable theme)

Passengers (no matter quality of the movie. Thomas Newman score is really nice)

Kubo (Marianelli. Animated films often have a score nommed)

Lion (it's getting noticeable attention. BP contender)

Florence Foster Jenkins (this year Desplat score with the best chances)

Nocturnal Animals (some really solid tracks from Korzeniowski)

Hacksaw Ridge (Ruppert Gregson Williams. Still has to hear it again)

Moana (Mark Mancina. The second animated score with chances)

• Like 1

I disagree heavily about Rogue One's score not being up to snuff. The music in Rogue One did a very good job of being its own rather than leaning in towards the regular Star Wars themes, and the score often complemented many of the film's moments to great affect. Especially the Baze Malbus moment that I won't spoil.

Edited by slambros

this is the first time in my life I have ever considered an oscars boycott.  The only thing i was looking forward to this year is rooting for Arrival to win.   WTF!  Arrival music was much better than Gravity's IMO.  Arrival has alot of good tracks too!  Return of the King won best ORIGINAL score for crying out loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

this is the first time in my life I have ever considered an oscars boycott.  The only thing i was looking forward to this year is rooting for Arrival to win.   WTF!  Arrival music was much better than Gravity's IMO.  Arrival has alot of good tracks too!  Return of the King won best ORIGINAL score for crying out loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Eh, I didn't find Arrival's music that special. The most noticeable music was pre-existing material.

• Like 1