Impact

Best Original Score-2016

Could Magnificent Seven earn Horner a posthumous nomination (though if it will be eligible is another question as I'm sure the original score will likely be in it or at least the theme song will be I'm sure-its like Bridge on the River Kwai's score and Chariot of Fire score, even if you never seen the films you have heard the main theme)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, slambros said:

Zootopia

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk

The Light Between Oceans

Silence

Manchester By The Sea

Big no on the Zootopia score. I'm a huge fanboy for that movie, but I don't see any reason why its score should get a nomination.

On 7/9/2016 at 1:55 PM, CoolioD1 said:

It's getting great reviews and it sounds super awardsy. I'd be surprised if it hasn't been picked up for a year end release this time next week.

On 7/9/2016 at 1:50 PM, Jake Gittes said:

Jackie doesn't even have a distributor yet.

As Toronto Kicks Off, Bidders are Buzzing About ‘Jackie’
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/jackie-movie-natalie-portman-toronto-film-festival-bidders-1201856044/

Some of the scores that will fight for attention

BFG - not wise to bet against Williams

Light between oceans - Desplat

Dory - Newman

Arrival - Johannsson

Passengers - Newman

Fantastic Beasts - Newton Howard

Rogue One - Desplat

La La Land - Hurwitz

Moana - Mancina

Allied - Silvestri

Billy Lynn - Danna

A monster calls - Velazquez

Still don't know the composers of Silence, Rules dont apply, and Fences.

I would love to see a posthumous nomination for Horner

On 9/13/2016 at 8:09 AM, Jake Gittes said:

Howard Shore is doing Silence.

Apparently Shore has actually not been confirmed for Silence, it's just a rumor. I could see him contributing a three track score like Gangs of New York though, so I'm not sure if he'll get nominated.

11 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

musicals even original ones like Frozen or tangled or whatever have been deemed ineligible for this award in recent years for some reason. makes me wonder if la la land might get the boot too.

I'd guess so. It's just one guy, Justin Hurwitz writing the music, so I think they will not count the score as original.

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

musicals even original ones like Frozen or tangled or whatever have been deemed ineligible for this award in recent years for some reason. makes me wonder if la la land might get the boot too.

I think I dug up the rule earlier this year, I believe it is because for musicals most of the instrumental themes are derived from the songs, so they're not original or something like that as they simply reflect the "song" material instead of "score" material.

From what I have listened.

The score for Moonlight is subtle but powerful enough

Arrival is eerie and unconventional. Different in an interesting way

BFG is a minor Williams, but he is so damn good that this score is still in my top5 of the year

Doctor Strange is the best Marvel score yet

Horner won't be nommed for Magnificent 7. Sadly

Can't see Desplat being nommed for none of the 3 scores we have listened this year.

Nothing yet can be marked as a frontrunner. Still have faith in Rogue One, Fantastic Beasts, Passengers Moana or Allied. Am I missing something?