Nova

Tuesday: Suicide Squad $14.27M

15 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

933.jpg

This isn't about just opinions though. This is about quality of film. Whether you agree that Suicide Squad was good or not, it's fact that many thought it wasn't. Like not just "yeah that was okay" but "wow that was atrocious".

If big execs in Hollywood think a poorly edited movie will be received well. then they will just keep doing it. It makes money and that's all that matters. That's the problem. Meanwhile actual storytelling in these big blockbusters takes a nosedive.

I can't remember a year when we had this many really sloppy big films. Fans should demand more instead of going after the critics.

Edited by somebody85

Wow, the DC Haters are going to be on Suicide Watch if the numbers keep holding this good.   We've never seen a film in August perform like this.   It's monday and tues holds make me believe all the negative reviews had a reverse affect.   It seems people want to see for themselves instead of listening to the critics were as it seems "BatsVSupes" was definitely hurt by the bad reviews.    I'm extra excited about this weekends numbers now.  

Edited by filmscholar

47 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I just don't understand how one can find Jurassic World and ID: Resurgence completely awful and this enjoyable. 

That's easy: I liked the characters and thought their arcs paid off in mostly satisfying ways. Though truth be told, I'd be happy with a 90-minute spinoff of Jai Courtney just wandering around fucking shit up. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

This isn't about just opinions though. This is about quality of film. Whether you agree that Suicide Squad was good or not, it's fact that many thought it wasn't.

If big execs in Hollywood think a poorly edited movie will be received well. then they will just keep doing it. It makes money and that's all that matters. That's the problem. Meanwhile actual storytelling in these big blockbusters takes a nosedive.

I can't remember a year when we had this many really sloppy big films. Fans should demand more instead of going after the critics.

Nah. This is wrong. Just like it's wrong to assume that the lesson the studios should get away with Deadpool is that all superhero films should be rated r like people are talking here at the beginning of the year. If WB is paying attention, they need to know that they are excelling at marketing and that it took ONE film with a different director to see people like me and several others to claim that this film has a beating heart, it has a pulse. They should know that we all know that the editing was a mess and that they shouldn't have messed with that. They should know that even if they 'win' at the box office and won me over with this film, that they AREN'T in the right path and need to course correct. They should know that they should be listening to Geoff Johns and maybe not just Geoff, but someone like Paul Dini too. They should have a 'Task Force X' of people like Geoff working in these films, people with knowledge in the industry, yes, but people that actually KNOW these characters and what makes them tick. They should give the marketing one hell of a raise. They should stop meddling with the editing process when it's too late, they should green light the production of a Suicide Squad sequel and a spin off Harley Quinn solo film, but get women in there to help design Harley's story, which is delicate but they did successfully made the film about HER, and not about Joker. They should know that they need to step up their game or they are screwed. And while they might say it otherwise, it's clear that they KNOW that something is wrong and it's course correcting. 

The Man of Steel 2 starting production has Geoff Johns written all over. Hopefully Geoff will get people that love character there, and I'd repeat: the first thing Geoff should do - and he probably knows that - is get in touch with Max Landis to see what he can come up with. We need people that care about Superman spitballing ideas for his film. We don't even need a Brad Bird, although that would help. What we need is someone with a good grasp on who he is, and I feel that WB's worst sin isn't really the Squad, but keeping Snyder in Justice League. I'm sincerely not sure how they'll even be able to sell that film with him at helm. Hopefully third time is a charm, but at this point I'm just hoping that Snyder doesn't fuck things up to the point that they can't go on. That's my anticipation for the League: hoping it isn't the DCEU's final blow. How is that for excitement? 

Just now, Tele the Jet Baller said:

That's easy: I liked the characters and thought their arcs paid off in mostly satisfying ways. Though truth be told, I'd be happy with a 90-minute spinoff of Jai Courtney just wandering around fucking shit up. 

I've actually heard from multiple people that Boomerang Courtney is one of the few good parts of the movie.

Could this be a sign for Jai Courtney? :lol:

17 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Wow, the DC Haters are going to be on Suicide Watch if the numbers keep holding this good.   We've never seen a film in August perform like this.   It's monday and tues holds make me believe all the negative reviews had a reverse affect.   It seems people want to see for themselves instead of listening to the critics were as it seems "BatsVSupes" was definitely hurt by the bad reviews.    I'm extra excited about this weekends numbers now.  

I think you and a few other members on this board have this false narrative of DC haters being on suicide watch and then continue to paint on enemies that don't even exist. BvS was hurt because of terrible WOM that killed it's legs. It's OW and Monday and Tuesday drops weren't indicative of the type of drops it was going to have. Heck no one knew until that second weekend happened and the days/weeks that followed. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Sooo next year we have and to prove this isn't a Marvel/DC thing:

Wolverine: I don't know man. I'm sick of the character but if it's finally R and not based in Asia maybe it will be good.

Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 - Maybe the marketing will sell me again and I trust James Gunn. Do we really need another one though?
Wonder Woman - meh, maybe the marketing will do more closer to release
Spider-Man: Homecoming - Tom Holland was awesome in the role and Marvel finally gets its shot at this franchise. 
Untitled Fox Film: Depends on the character - Gambit could be cool and I welcome another Deadpool if FOX stays the hell out of it.
Thor: Ragnarok - I disliked the last two with The Dark World not even worth rewatching. Very meh on it besides Hulk being involved.
Justice League - Looks to have a ton of potential from the footage released. Besides Spiderman, it's the most on this list that I'm anticipating despite all DCs missteps, still have faith it could be good.

Wolverine: I didn't even know that this was supposed to be out next year. I love Hugh, but I had enough. I just can't stand Singerverse anymore. Let it die please. I don't even think I'm watching in theaters.

Guardians of the Galaxy: I do think the first one warrants a sequel, but I kind of hate how I know barely next to nothing compared to how stoked I was for Guardians one year before the release back then. I'm hoping the marketing will sway me but so far, eh. 

Wonder Woman: My favorite trailer out of SDCC, and it isn't the most anticipated superhero film of the next year because I'm Spider-Man's bitch.

Spider-Man: Homecoming: Beyond stoked for this and every tidbit we get makes me anticipate this even more. Give me twenty years of MCU Spider-Man, please and thank you. 

Untitled Fox Film: LET IT DIE PLEASE, DIE I JUST DON'T CARE. AND FIRE SIMON KINBERG. AND SINGER. AND EVERYONE ELSE BUT THE DEADPOOL TEAM. PS: FUCK GAMBIT

Thor: Ragnarok: I think I'll love the shit out of this one, so I'm very much stoked for it. Thor and Hulk travelling the nine realms?! In fucking Ragnarok? I'm in.

Justice League: I know better than getting fooled by Snyder teasers, and while I like that trailer more than anything he has done for the DCEU in film, his MoS trailer was probably the best thing he has ever done when it comes to superheroes, and look what that brought us. My level of excitement is: just don't destroy the DCEU and leave it quietly, Snyder. Please. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

I think a movie with

Flash and Boomerang

would be very awesome.

7 hours ago, Gopher said:

We're all fueled by feelings. I seem to recall a particular swear word you repeated regarding a very successful fish related comedy this summer. ;)

But sure, let's talk no-filter BO predicting. It hasn't had a bad hold since Saturday. BvS did the same thing. I currently have the weekend at 43m (-68%), with a -31% decrease today, -10% Thurs and 50% bump Friday. There's room for improvement with those projections, but its IM was so frontloaded it could follow Guardians' dailies for the rest of the week and still drop -65%. If it pulls that off I can see it crossing 300, my projection has it barely getting to MOS numbers domestic. 

I guess its third week is going to be more interesting. Everything drops a lot second weekend now, but BvS against no competition fell -55% its third weekend and then -61% against Jungle Book. MOS 'only' dropped -50%. Guardians did -40%, but that was a movie people actually liked. Suicide Squad loses IMAX but it's not like Ben Hur is gonna blow its tires out, it would have to collapse on its own. 

Yes, I agree with all this.  I have said since the beginning the second weekend drop is not the one to judge it on.  I believe the third weekend will determine where it lands.  The second weekend is going to drop significantly simply because it opened so well and and because it had 20 mill in previews.

I've also said I don't think it has outstanding WOM, just that it has much better than BvS which means it is not going to finish with a 2.0X.  I have it doing about 2.35X.

As for Dory, yes, FTSBF.

• Like 1