Ezen Baklattan

Weekend Thread | Estimates SS 43.7m, SP 33.6m, PD 21.5, JCIJB 13.6m, BM 11.45m, SLOP 8.8m, STD 6.8m, FFJ 6.58m

1 hour ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Ok, let's review...

Marvel is both critically and financially a success. Any studio would want that franchise. Yay!

DC is financially successful (unless the rumors that each movie costs 2B dollars is true) but has been critically panned. Any studio would still want that franchise. Yay!

Sausage Party is very offensive, but its target audience loves that. It over performed. Any studio would've wanted that movie, except for Disney, for reasons. Yay!

Pete's Dragon under performed. It supposedly has good WOM and high RT. At least it has a lower budget than BFG, so maybe an okay win for Disney. Yay!

Jason Bourne, STB, and SLOP had good holds. Most studios would want franchises like these. Yay!

Hell or High Water is a pretty good movie and is doing very well for such small release. Yay!

Florence Foster Jenkins has no audience on these boards apparently. Boooo!!!!!

Now we can all get along and play nice with each other. Everybody is succeeding!!!

Nah.  Disney would have wanted Sausage Party too.  They'd just release it under one of their other distribution companies without the name "Disney" slapped on it and taken the money.

Edited by Sal
  • Like 1

Also if we're talking movies that deserved Best Picture, I go all the way back to point out that Beauty and the Beast so deserved it.  It sucks that it's so hard for an animated picture to be nominated for Best Picture.  

1 hour ago, nilephelan said:

This has nothing to do with anything, but I was looking at the September all time numbers in anticipation of Magnificent Seven having a good shot at the all time opening weekend record and ran across the numbers for Crocodile Dundee.  

I know it was popular, but had absolutely no clue it did $174m domestic and $328m total.  IN FUCKING 1986!! ON A FUCKING $9M BUDGET!!  IT SOLD 46 MILLION TICKETS!!

That is like a near $400m domestic and $725m overall on a $20m budget today.  

The entire trilogy made $606m which is $1.4b today on a roughly $70m total production budget.  

It might be the most astounding thing I have ever heard of.  

In Australia, it did $47m which adjusted for inflation is still the highest film of all time in that country. It's a shame that we haven't seen a comedy break out in that manner unless it's a sequel. 

Edited by Jonwo

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Counting box office in dollars is a nice and comfortable lie, like America's economy.

It tells a very little part of the overral story.

With admissions, the Hollywood industry wouldn't have pseudo records to gloat about each year, each month, yaddi, yadda zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Force Awakens sold about the same number of tickets as Phantom Menace, you know, the supposedly horrible Star Wars film that had HORRIBLE word of mouth.

"Real sets, practical effects" my ass.

How about real box office numbers for a change, 'MURICA ?

Bullshit 

11 hours ago, a2knet said:

2013 DM2 WEEKEND #6 [final dom: $368,061,265]

Aug 9–11  9 $5,915,650 -41.6% 2,395 -812 $2,470 $338,481,845  6

2016 SLOP WEEKEND #6 [final dom: $365-375M ?]

Aug 12–14 6 $8,840,000 -23.1% 2,958 -459 $2,989 $335,942,075   6

:redcapes:

frankly, looks like a mathematical certainty.

Thanks a2knet! Didn't realize its weekend was better than DM2's 6th weekend! That's interesting.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

Thanks a2knet! Didn't realize its weekend was better than DM2's 6th weekend! That's interesting.

Yeah it's amazing that SLOP could be he 6th biggest animation behind DORY, SHREK 2, TS3, FROZEN and NEMO (and 5th biggest if you use NEMO's 1st run of 339.7 instead of ~381)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, a2knet said:

Yeah it's amazing that SLOP could be he 6th biggest animation behind DORY, SHREK 2, TS3, FROZEN and NEMO (and 5th biggest if you use NEMO's 1st run of 339.7 instead of ~381)

It's also behind The Lion King, but not if you exclude that 2011 rerelease.

4 hours ago, Blankments said:

Sausage Party projections:

Weekend 2: 18.0M (-46.3%) cum 67.1M

Weekend 3: 11.2M (-37.8%) cum 87.0M

Weekend 4 (3-Day): 8.2M (-26.8%)

Weekend 4 (4-Day): 10.1M (-6.6%) cum 102.2M

Weekend 5: 2.8M (-64.2%) cum 106.6M

Weekend 6: 1.9M (-28.2%) cum 109.6M

DOM: 112.536M (3.349x)

WW: 207.521M (45.8% foreign share)

I think you 're way too optimistic about its OS potential. Seth Rogen's brand of comedy has a very niche audience OS and R rated animation even more so. If it does even 50m OS I'll be shocked.

• Like 1