Ezen Baklattan

Weekend Thread | Estimates SS 43.7m, SP 33.6m, PD 21.5, JCIJB 13.6m, BM 11.45m, SLOP 8.8m, STD 6.8m, FFJ 6.58m

2 minutes ago, Ohana said:

That lol in the end is so disrespectful towards DCEU fans
So unnecessary.

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

You know what's disrespectful to DCEU fans? WB treating it as their little cash cow and not giving one flying fuck about delivering quality or what the fans want. Assigning Zack "hey BRUH, look at my mad visual stylez!" Snyder to the throne of DCEU is disrespectful to DCEU fans. Any self-respecting DC fan deserves so much better.

Gonna be a good weekend thread

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Woah, I just realized how good November looks. Doctor Strange? Arrival? Billy Flynn's Halftime Walk? Fantastic Beasts? Allied? Moana? And those are just the movies that'll make money. There's also Manchester by the Sea, Nocturnal Animals, and a new WARREN BEATTY movie... 

Ignoring TROLLS? For shame, Gopher.

You know what's disrespectful to DCEU fans? WB treating it as their little cash cow and not giving one flying fuck about delivering quality or what the fans want. Assigning Zack "hey BRUH, look at my mad visual stylez!" Snyder to the throne of DCEU is disrespectful to DCEU fans. Any self-respecting DC fan deserves so much better.

Don't start pls, many ppl love the DCEU movies 
Learn to accept that even if you hate them to the core.

BvS for me is the best movie of 2016 (till now at least), as a CBM fan (yes, Marvel ones as well) I'm more than happy till now
with the WB vision of the DCEU,
So at least don't pretend to speak on behalf of DC fans when it seems you're not even one of them.

• Like 3

So...after a bunch of arguing, more records set, and whatever, this Suicide Squad movie is still set to make about 300m, no matter what reasonably happens this weekend?

Is the DCEU front-loaded? Yes. Does front loading mean toxic word of mouth? Not necessarily. A forum dedicated to analysis, I appreciate the ability to crunch numbers and make comparisons, but let's also use some reason and objectivity. Simply, what I'm seeing is this, people are passionate for this movie to be doing one of two opposing extremes, and what it's really doing is just making a lot of money. Could it be doing a lot more if it were better received by both fans and critics? Yes. Did critics and bad WOM have an effect? Yes. Do many fans still support it? Yes. Does good WOM also exist? Yes. What does that all mean? A movie that made a lot of money, much more than others, and only bettered by few. It's that simple.

Edited by UrosepsisFace
  • Like 3

i thought the warren beatty movie was gonna be like the aviator continued. didn't think it would be some wacky fucking romcom where howard hughes gets reimagined as Jerry Stiller from king of queens but that's what it looks like.

• Like 2

Just now, Ohana said:

Don't start pls, many ppl love the DCEU movies 
Learn to accept that even if you hate them to the core.

BvS for me is the best movie of 2016 (till now at least), as a CBM fan (yes, Marvel ones as well) I'm more than happy till now
with the WB vision of the DCEU,
So at least don't pretend to speak on behalf of DC fans when it seems you're not even one of them.

I am glad you like them. I can't pretend I come close to understanding how if you're a DC fan, but more power to you I guess. Just know a vast majority of DC fans feel very robbed of any justice to the source with these films. 

25 minutes ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

Do we haveI'lla Friday number for SS or just this absurd projection?

Lol, you already know this answer to that question. I'll wait for Rth before proclaiming anything for SS.

20 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Oh c'mon like we really need an official number to know it's bad. Even if it goes 50m+, that's still an awful drop so let's not pretend like we don't know it's not holding well. 

It's doing fine. Slightly better than people expected last week.

• Like 2

I am glad you like them. I can't pretend I come close to understanding how if you're a DC fan, but more power to you I guess. Just know a vast majority of DC fans feel very robbed of any justice to the source with these films. 

I guess you have some kind of cerebro device that gave you that info?
I respect your dislike towards the DCEU, but don't try to back it up with things like "the vast majority of..."

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

Actually that's exactly what a toxic WOM is lol @UrosepsisFace. That's basically saying that all $300m grossers are the same. Let's compare what happened with POTC 1 & MOS.

I don't agree -- I think there are movies that are hugely frontloaded due to their hardcore fanbase. (DH2, for one). Now, SS is obviously pretty mixed in terms of WOM, but I wouldn't say it's absolutely toxic.

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i thought the warren beatty movie was gonna be like the aviator continued. didn't think it would be some wacky fucking romcom where howard hughes gets reimagined as Jerry Stiller from king of queens but that's what it looks like.

Beatty's remake of I.Q.

MPW-38209

• Like 6

Just now, Ohana said:

I guess you have some kind of cerebro device that gave you that info?
I respect your dislike towards the DCEU, but don't try to back it up with things like "the vast majority of..."

WOM is my cerebro.

And please keep Marvel out of this. :)

15 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Woah, I just realized how good November looks. Doctor Strange? Arrival? Billy Flynn's Halftime Walk? Fantastic Beasts? Allied? Moana? And those are just the movies that'll make money. There's also Manchester by the Sea, Nocturnal Animals, and a new WARREN BEATTY movie... 

I have zero interest in STRANGE, but generally I agree.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cannastop said:

No Prisoners just wants to make everything a Wall Street analogy. I'm glad for your input. :)

on a very small scale, my only point is that front loaded films don't add screens in the second half of the day.  this indicates to me that the film is as I thought, not near as front loaded as the trades are showing.

think about this, Bad Moms nearly had a 12x multiplier from the Thursday to weekend take.  at the same multiple SP is at $39M.  I was watching and Bad Mom's didn't add screens, nor was their evening or weekend business ridiculous.  instead it was and has been a girls group outing film.  that crowd is very coordinated and the film is raking it in evenly (with great weekday holds) as a result.

this film is all the buzz.  there shouldn't be near as much frontload as the trades are spouting.  a $15M+ day for SP will not surprise me at all. 

until trusted numbers come out we won't know, but I still believe this film can flirt with $40M.