WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 62): Suicide Squad 20.9M | Sausage Party 15.5M | War Dogs 14.7M | Kubo 12.6M | Pete's Dragon 11.3M | Ben Hur 11.2M

Well the doldrums are definitely in play now...

Overall the weekend is solid for this time of year, it was either Guru or BOM that mentioned that the second half of August has never had a film open higher than 39m (Inglorious Bastards) and the average is like 20m so Suicide is right in the mark of normal for the #1 spot.

Solid if not spectacular holds from the new releases last week  - Florence holding better than I had hoped would mean pushing Trek out of the top 10 but we shall see how the weekend shapes up.

Watched BvS last night - don't get the fuss it was neither bad nor good, but then again we watched the extended cut (at 3 hours 1 minute holy crap thats a lot of batman movie.)

• Like 2

I'm not sure why people are surprised by Kubo's performance. Critically acclaimed or not, Laika's films look so visually unappealing to the average child, they look dull and a bit odd which doesn't encourage kids or their parents to go see them. Plus that title is a mouthful. 

6 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Well September looks phenomenal so I honestly don't know why anyone wouldn't be looking forward to it

Even though september looks quite strong this year, I still feel that Star Trek Beyond could've done a lot better if it would've been released in late August/early September instead of opening a week before Bourne and two weeks before SS. But Paramount has to blame themselves for that.

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

What does it matter? You've been given a source from somebody who knows both the production and marketing budget and that sources says the 700+ rumors aren't true. You just keep insisting on using whatever source helps paint your narrative.

Just use common  sense. Suicide Squad is Warner's 2nd best grossing movie this year. As of today, it will have made more than the 3rd and 4th best movies from this studio combined, which have a listed budget far exceeding Suicide Squad's. For this studio in particular, Suicide Squad is a success. You could claim that a studio in dire straights would claim the least bad news as its best success, until you realize this studio is in second place in market share by a fare margin BASED on the success of the two films you keep painting as failures. Apparently, the second place studio is in its position mainly due to 3/4ths of it's top 4 being flops?

Isn't that what you're doing? Insisting on using whatever source helps paint your narrative? First you guys try dismissing the rumors of $800 million to break even saying that it was fanboys who made it up when it actually came from THR and Ike on Howard Stern last year. Then you guys try saying what Ike said was a rumor when it was a fact, then I say it's possible that it may need $800 million to break even and then you bring up Mark Hughes as an absolute when he is no more a WB executive than I am. Please don't tell me to use common sense when you can get behind such a ridiculous general statement as "actors don't have a clue about budgets." As if that would be the only possible reason he could know that. I'll keep saying it until you start paying attention, I think that if the budget is $175 million, then it is easily a financial success. You keep missing that. However if the budget is $250 million and does need $800 million to break even, then it is a disaster. I don't know how much more simple I can make it.

Edited by Haley Ross

46 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

I see it grossing inbetween Alice 2 and Tomorrowland #s. But I doubt the budget will be anything extreme, so it'll probably be a success. I'd love for it to break out though; the premise sounds cool, and it's got my man Jake Gyllenhall. (And I assume you're excited to see Mr. Blake Lively in this movie. ;))

Yea I'm hoping it turns out to be good and they keep the budget tame. It was supposed to open March 24th but I think they saw that there wasn't much competition in May and said why the heck not. Keeping my fingers crossed that it brings some excitement to the May 2017 box office but yes I'm excited to see Mr. Blake Lively dressed up as an astronaut as opposed to his red leather condom. Jake Gyllenhaal is a plus too. Two good actors in a film like this. Lets hope Sony doesn't screw it up haha 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sam said:

Here for Beyond's numbers. How bad is it? 

Down 41%, had a solid FRI increase but it will drop harder on Sunday for sure. Maybe that means bigger Sat increase?

Take hope in the impossible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Haley Ross said:

I usually repeat myself when someone isn't paying attention. It's a fact (not a rumor) that Ike Barinholtz said the production budget for SS was $250 million. I understand why you guys dismiss what he said, I'm simply explaining why others do not.

It's a "fact" that according to Batman News, Barinholtz disclosed that the budget for the film was estimated to amount upwards of $250 million. It's a "rumor" that the budget was $250 million.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Haley Ross said:

That doesn't make Ike wrong or a liar. In fact, he doesn't even need a clue about budgets if he was informed of the budget by someone who does. Beyond that, how would you know to make such a blanket statement?

Budgets are not exactly casually thrown around. Even people who think they know budgets don't know the budgets. A lot of times, people (who don't fully know) will toss around a figure not as a literal figure, but just something generally equating "expensive". I'm hardly some deep insider, but I work enough in the industry to know how things work. Heck, I work on shows where I'm waaaaay more connected to the show than some supporting actor, and I don't know the budget (beyond a vague guess). My producer sometimes isn't even given the budget for his department, because it's managed at a higher level. These sorts of numbers are not given out lightly. No one would "leak" a number to an actor, let alone a supporting actor.

54 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Hey @Tele the Jet Baller, this weekend hold for SP means you are changing to @Telesucksfatsausage right? 

:sadben: 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Shoot I was looking forward to Before I Wake. Next movie I'll see them is Blair Witch.

Actually reviews aren't entirely unfavorable towards BIW. They paint that the 3rd act is bad, but everything beforehand is great. Maybe still worth giving it a chance? :thinking:

6 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Actually reviews aren't entirely unfavorable towards BIW. They paint that the 3rd act is bad, but everything beforehand is great. Maybe still worth giving it a chance? :thinking:

Well he can't give it a chance, since Relativity pulled it...again. :lol: