WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 62): Suicide Squad 20.9M | Sausage Party 15.5M | War Dogs 14.7M | Kubo 12.6M | Pete's Dragon 11.3M | Ben Hur 11.2M

22 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

My math sucks, but the Deadline numbers seem to be low.  I think they forgot these movies all play well in the later rounds.

SS should be at $6.0m

WD should be at $5.5m

SP should be at $4.95m

If we ever meet one day drinks are on me. Ty for all you do for us here. Sincerely.

• Like 11

11 hours ago, filmlover said:

What is everyone thinking for next weekend? Don't Breathe seems like a solid performer but I have no idea about Mechanic and Hands of Stone is destined to make peanuts.

Hands of Stone is also only opening in 800 theaters next Friday and then will expand to 2,400 the following Wednesday.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Emerald kikyou said:

So basically , what I get from both of you is that all this talk about financial failure is bullshit , because it's either relying on a rumor or over how it made compared to other movies in the genre, which still makes it successful anyways , just not as successful as some would have loved it to be.

Everything is relative. The rumor about the budget being $250 million comes the Hollywood Reporter and even earlier last year from Ike Barinholtz himself when he appeared on Howard Stern. No one can confirm that it's bullshit one way or the other. So it's called rumor. Also with BvS, it wasn't just that it barely broke even, there was also the organizational changes that came within the company as well.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

My math sucks, but the Deadline numbers seem to be low.  I think they forgot these movies all play well in the later rounds.

SS should be at $6.0m

WD should be at $5.5m

SP should be at $4.95m

Nice. SS should do 20.5 with 6m

6 + 8.4(+40%) + 6.1(-27.3%) = 20.5 (-53%)

SP could do 16-17 (51-54% drop)

Edited by a2knet

2 minutes ago, Haley Ross said:

Everything is relative. The rumor about the budget being $250 million comes the Hollywood Reporter and even earlier last year from Ike Barinholtz himself when he appeared on Howard Stern. No one can confirm that it's bullshit one way or the other. So it's called rumor. Also with BvS, it wasn't just that it barely broke even, there was also the organizational changes that came within the company as well.

A rumor is not a fact so it has nothing to do with our numbers here or the B.O run or the success and failure of a movie. When it becomes a fact then we can use it to prove the movie was a flop.

The changes in the company will happen because they wanted better , if it's a failure you wouldn't have seen Snyder directing JL now. So it's exactly what I called it , an exaggeration, if not even a falsification with all these insane numbers just to barely break even ,Specially when you compare it to many movies in the MCU that were called a financial hit.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

First two films to get two hundred negative reviews on rotten tomatoes in its history.

That's the only great achievement of these films  as those stats  were achieved with no competition

Try harder fail post...

That is a very interesting fact.  Considering the fact that both movies are over 25%, that means if over 200 critics disliked these films, that means almost 100 critics liked them too. It's quite exceptional, because when movies are usually *panned* you'll see less than 20 positive reviews, rather than 4-5x that. Suicide Squad has more positive reviews than Bad Moms...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

I respect yours too. And we all have our opinions. If it worked for u I understand why. I'm glad u liked it. It's probably the best animated film I have seen this year. But I just didn't love it. But I'd still give it around a 7 out of 10.

To their original point: at least you actually saw it.

I'm going to try and go next week because the screenings times are horrible. There's barely a decent showing out there right now. I feel like both the distributor and theatre chains are giving this movie the shaft big time. I'm not sure why, but I'm guessing the godawful, right after schools go back release date is a large factor.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Hands of Stone is also only opening in 800 theaters next Friday and then will expand to 2,400 the following Wednesday.  

What? Is that new? BOM says it opens on 2000 theaters next Friday. Fucking Weinstein lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eXtacy said:

A lot of Marvels films are profitable in the long run through their sequels, home video and general merchandise. Its about building a franchise which has made them so successful not single box office returns. If DCU cannot start delivering quality then the sequels/franchise will likely suffer further down the line. Matter of fact I don't see either Wonder Women or Justice League reaching the heights of these first films in the universe.

The DCEU films keep having subsequent films that go up to 300m DOM and record breaking openings. The weak DCEU legs are CONSISTENTLY over 160m in total. Home video sales for the DCEU have apparently been strong. MoS outdid Iron Man 3 in that department in 2013 for example. We don't know the exact amount for BvS but its been on top for a month now. As for general merchandise, the DC females are expected to be a 1 billion market from Target alone. Batman is probably how many multiples of that? 

43 minutes ago, Haley Ross said:

You can also contrast that to Mark Hughes of Forbes saying Suicide Squad doesn't need anything close to the 700m and he knows the actual figures. How much weight do you place on that? One article that favors your agenda, you quote it 20+ times, and the other that doesn't favor your agenda is then ignored?  Why are you compelled to keep doing this?  There are many movies out there that don't triple or quadruple their listed budgets. It's also a movie that has outdone Guardians of the Galaxy in many overseas markets just in its first week. I'll agree with you that it wasn't a very good movie. That's a subjective matter. I don't know why you would ignore every objective sign that points to the movie being a success, especially one so straight forward as acknowledging the success threshold and saying this movie will easily surpass it... 

Edited by UrosepsisFace
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Emerald kikyou said:

A rumor is not a fact so it has nothing to do with our numbers here or the B.O run or the success and failure of a movie. When it becomes a fact then we can use it to prove the movie was a flop.

The changes in the company will happen because they wanted better , if it's a failure you wouldn't have seen Snyder directing JL now. So it's exactly what I called it , an exaggeration, if not even a falsification with all these insane numbers just to barely break even ,Specially when you compare it to many movies in the MCU that were called a financial hit.  

Well it is a fact that Mr. Barinholtz said that's what the budget was for SS and he worked directly on the set. So it has everything to do with the numbers here and more to the point, why anyone would suggest SS is a financial failure in the first place. They're not basing it off the reported budget of $175 million but the $250 million budget. When I mention the THR article, I can tell which people did or didn't read the article because what it said was, "the movie's got to do $750 million, $800 million to break even. If they get anywhere close to that, they'll consider it a win." Replacing Snyder as the director of Justice League would inevitably delay the movie given its release date which they can't afford to do. On top of that, WB/DC removed the second Justice League movie from the docket. 

Terrible holds for everything not named Bad Moms, SLOP, or Florence.

54 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

What if it doesn't open at all? :jeb!: 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

It's far from great.  IMO, it's very forgettable.

And I don't think this particular type of animation appeals to the younger viewers who (let's face it) make up the bulk of the audience for animated films.  

When I first saw the trailer I thought it was a foreign made film being brought to a US audience.  I thought, "Hey cool, a foreign film with foreign cultural themes exposed to a US audience. This might be interesting."  Only later did I realize it was a North American production.  

Since US audiences typically shun movies that are dubbed or have subtitles. I've long thought that the easiest way for an overseas company to gain a foothold in the US would be with animation.  Those kinds of films can truly be tailored with voice overs for each individual market without being too distracting.  I was thinking Kubo might have been a big successful film overseas that was so popular they decided to give it a try in the States and see how it did.  Unfortunately, that isn't the case.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Terrible holds for everything not named Bad Moms, SLOP, or Florence.

What if it doesn't open at all? :jeb!: 

It is Weinstein, so anything could happen, but they are running a lot of commercials so it will open for sure.  

• Like 1