WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 62): Suicide Squad 20.9M | Sausage Party 15.5M | War Dogs 14.7M | Kubo 12.6M | Pete's Dragon 11.3M | Ben Hur 11.2M

3 minutes ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

It still exists... albeit from the last moments before the migration to what became BOF. Here's as far back as I can find.

http://mojorefugees.proboards.com/board/1/box-office-derby?page=6

rRvl8tI.png 

What happened to you, CJohn? Where is this optimism now?

:sadben: 

I was very young back then :sadben: Life kicked me in the balls tons of times since then :sadben: 

I remember it took like 2 days until Shawn showed up. I was the first person to remember that place existed :sadben: 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I was very young back then :sadben: Life kicked me in the balls tons of times since then :sadben:

So the ball kicking happened between between April & October 2011? :lol:

C. John
Mojoveteran

Oct 30, 2011 at 10:56am
 Boring weekend. Every new movie was a flop.

C. John  

Oct 29, 2011 at 7:11am

Mojoveteran  Fox is releasing bomb after bomb. Epic.

And The Rum Diary proves that stars don't matter anymore in America. One actor alone can't open a movie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Dark Alfred said:

It amuses me how people are worried about DCU. Three films, averaging 300m domestic, ahead of MCU by comparison. What a start. Whereas Marvel is fading a bit (GotG2 notwithstanding), DCU will only get better. SS will end up grossing only 5% less than GotG both domestic and worldwide. That is my friends is very impressive.

I do not mean to start a DC v Marvel war, but why do you say that Marvel losing such. Captain America is the highest grossing film overseas, Worldwide, second domestic, and highest grossing superhero film of this year. It has potential hits like Doctor Strange in 2016 and other pics I am excited like GOTG 2, Spider-Man, and ThornRagnorak in 2017. I think it's premature to think so of Marvel decline and Marvel will continue to do well. I am glad DC is making hits also.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

With such negative reaction to the films I have strong doubts that SS2 will be able to pull off any growth at all.

I think many people tuned in and were turned off but a sizeable portion remains to watch these films, which is unfortunate to those who like quality comic book films. 

If we’re talking critic/audience reception, as I said let’s look at the Fast and Furious franchise and use RT, not because it’s perfect but it’s convenient:

Fast and the Furious (2001)

53%C, 74%A

2 Fast 2 Furious (2003)

36%C, 50%A

Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006)

37%C, 70%A

Fast and Furious (2009)

28%C, 67%A

Fast 5 (2011)

77%C, 83%A

Fast and Furious 6 (2013)

69%C, 83%A

Furious 7 (2015)

79%C, 83%A

Compared to:

Man of Steel (2013)

55%C, 75%A

Batman v Superman (2016)

27%C, 65%A

Suicide Squad (2016)

26%C, 68%A

For years, critics and many in the general audience jokingly referred to Fast and Furious as “that shitty car racing franchise” and fans had to weather the criticism. But it maintained a steady following and good box office performance. It took some time, but people began to accept it for what it was and it drew more fans and grew. The fifth and sixth movies saw a good jump in revenue, especially worldwide and the seventh (propped up unfortunately by Paul Walker’s death) blew it up into a global phenomenon.

Just because you personally don’t like the franchise, that’s fine. Movies are art. Art is subjective. You don’t have to like everything everyone does. But the numbers for the DC films are solid. The core audience is there and they show up. Like the Marvel films prior to the Avengers (which really wasn’t setting the world on fire) the franchise just needs to get polished up, people need to take it for what they’re doing with it instead of what they want and it needs that one franchise defining breakout. Fortunately for WB/DC, they seem to have a sizable group of people who are into it so far.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AHepBurn said:

If we’re talking critic/audience reception, as I said let’s look at the Fast and Furious franchise and use RT, not because it’s perfect but it’s convenient:

Fast and the Furious (2001)

53%C, 74%A

2 Fast 2 Furious (2003)

36%C, 50%A

Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006)

37%C, 70%A

Fast and Furious (2009)

28%C, 67%A

Fast 5 (2011)

77%C, 83%A

Fast and Furious 6 (2013)

69%C, 83%A

Furious 7 (2015)

79%C, 83%A

Compared to:

Man of Steel (2013)

55%C, 75%A

Batman v Superman (2016)

27%C, 65%A

Suicide Squad (2016)

26%C, 68%A

For years, critics and many in the general audience jokingly referred to Fast and Furious as “that shitty car racing franchise” and fans had to weather the criticism. But it maintained a steady following and good box office performance. It took some time, but people began to accept it for what it was and it drew more fans and grew. The fifth and sixth movies saw a good jump in revenue, especially worldwide and the seventh (propped up unfortunately by Paul Walker’s death) blew it up into a global phenomenon.

Just because you personally don’t like the franchise, that’s fine. Movies are art. Art is subjective. You don’t have to like everything everyone does. But the numbers for the DC films are solid. The core audience is there and they show up. Like the Marvel films prior to the Avengers (which really wasn’t setting the world on fire) the franchise just needs to get polished up, people need to take it for what they’re doing with it instead of what they want and it needs that one franchise defining breakout. Fortunately for WB/DC, they seem to have a sizable group of people who are into it so far.

However the First three DC films are worse then the first three Fast and Furious films handily. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

However the First three DC films are worse then the first three Fast and Furious films handily. 

Critically, it's sort of a wash. You'll probably have a range of agreement/disagreement based on people's own individual enjoyment of those two franchises. (Personally, I don't think the first three FF are that good, but admittedly I'll probably end up re-watching them before I re-watch any of the MOS/BVS/SS trifecta.)

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I have a lot to say to show your point is silly, but this is turning into the western front in WW1 DCU and MCU lol 

Let's just use numbers by comparison, Unadjusted. DCU is off to a flying start. We'll see how the sequels perform in the future.

47 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Updated Sausage Party projections:

Weekend 3: 9.6M (-37.8%) cum 84.9M

Weekend 4 (3-Day): 7.1M (-26.8%)

Weekend 4 (4-Day): 9.0M (-6.6%) cum 99.8M

Weekend 5: 2.5M (-64.2%) cum 104M

Weekend 6: 1.8M (-28.2%) cum 107M

DOM: 109.857M (3.206x)

WW: 202.581M (45.8% foreign share)

Updated Pete's Dragon projections:

Weekend 3: 7.1M (-37.8%) cum 57.4M

Weekend 4 (3-Day): 6.9M (-2.4%)

Weekend 4 (4-Day): 7.4M (+4.3%) cum 67.8M

Weekend 5: 2.0M (-71.2%) cum 70.3M

DOM: 77.954M (3.623x)

WW: 163.76M (52.4% foreign share)

Updated Suicide Squad projections:

Weekend 4: 11.9M (-43.1%) cum 278.6M

Weekend 5 (3-Day): 8.6M (-27.4%)

Weekend 5 (4-Day): 11.1M (-6.6%) cum 291M

Weekend 6: 4.3M (-50.4%) cum 295.9M

Weekend 7: 2.6M (-38.4%) cum 298.7M

DOM: 300.871M (2.251x)

WW: 697.672M (56.9% foreign total)

I'll take it although I believe SS will gross that 2.4mil to gain 700ww.

You guys are going about it all wrong when comparing DCEU movies to Marvel. There are several powerful cash-cow franchises, and Marvel is one of them. The DCEU doesn't have to achieve the heights of Marvel to succeed. All it has to do is succeed in Warner's eyes. Take this year for example. Does the studio want to risk 180m dollars and achieve 126m DOM and 350m WW with Legend of Tarzan or risk 175m to achieve 300m DOM and ~700m WW? Suicide Squad isn't competing with Guardians of the Galaxy, it's competing against Legend of Tarzan, Point Break, In the Heart of the Sea, Pan, San Andreas, Mad Max: Fury Road, and Jupiter Ascending. I haven't added up the numbers, but I'm going to guess the super-hero franchise cost a lot less and made just about as much as the combination of those other tentpole movies.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chrisman0606 said:

I do not mean to start a DC v Marvel war, but why do you say that Marvel losing such. Captain America is the highest grossing film overseas, Worldwide, second domestic, and highest grossing superhero film of this year. It has potential hits like Doctor Strange in 2016 and other pics I am excited like GOTG 2, Spider-Man, and ThornRagnorak in 2017. I think it's premature to think so of Marvel decline and Marvel will continue to do well. I am glad DC is making hits also.

LOL Alfred is such a DC fan troll. He just drops in to poison the well. Don't even try to figure it out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

It was not here. 

43 minutes ago, ThatOneWardog said:

How did the BOM boards look back then?  I'm curious to see how they looked like:qotd:

It was also outdated format wise.

• Like 1

Some people like facts and numbers and it is inevitable that it doesn't always sit well in looney-land, esctasy is a prime example. SS is a huge hit. Look at the numbers. Put reviews, other films aside. If at the beginning of the year I tell you that SS will break the August OW record, stay on top for three weeks, reach 300m domestic and 400m, soundtrack open on top at Billboard 200, everyone would have agreed that is impressive. What changed now? My comparison with DCU doesn't involve CW, no doubt that Marvel is superior at the moment, my comparison is DCU's first film vs MCU's first three films. That is the only fair way to look at it.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 1