Fullbuster

The Mandalorian | March 2023 for S3

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I think people are either gonna really like or really hate this latest episode.

*checks Twitter*

*checks reddit*

Oh yes.  There is gonna be some spicy discourse surrounding this one. 

Sometimes I get surprised by reactions.  Other times?  No other times I can see reactions coming a mile away.

(still in the "really like" camp, for the record)

• Like 1

On its own, I honestly had a blast with this episode, and it was so good to finally see Din and Bo go on an actual quest together, with some of the most entertaining interactions of the whole series.

The main issue is with how late into the season this is. Had the first episode been truncated and merged with the second episode, and the third episode been sacked entirely, this episode might've been the midway point of the season, and a solid one at that.

The pacing has been pretty lackluster this season. Only 2 episodes left, and the story has barely started, and there's no sign of Gideon anywhere. I really wonder what happened, as the creative team who brought us the previous two seasons is still intact for this one.

With tonight's episode, something finally clicked with me.

If Season One was leaning into SW's Western roots, and specifically its Spaghetti Western roots and if Season Two was leaning into SW's Samurai roots, especially tales surrounding Ronin, then this season is leaning into its fantasy roots.  In particular its chivalrous/Arthurian fantasy roots. And make no mistake, Arthurian fantasy is just as much of SW's DNA as anything else.

As I was thinking about how easily some folks have just reacted to events in-universe, I kept coming back to the word "broad" as a storytelling device (as opposed to the much much more intricate Andor).  Sometimes called "mythic".  And that's when it twigged about what this season really is (side story to Coruscant notwithstanding).

(I suppose have a literal Lord and Lady in this episode helped me make that connection)

I think in part the... broad nature of the storytelling is intentional.  Or at the very least, fitting.  The only real problem is, and it's not a minor one, that Jan Favreau is no Thomas Malory or T.H. White.  It takes a certain level of finesse to sell broad story telling (especially for a setting like SW where the fanbase can get... testy at being reminded of its fantasy roots), that I think is somewhat lacking.

Still, as I thought about this, this does answer one "complaint"

Spoiler

namely just why the Mandalorians are so willing to buy Din Djarin's and Bo-Katan's story?  Because they're chivalric knights and that's what knights do.  Especially after a Trial by Combat between leaders. 

Now I am curious to see if this fantasy/knight's reclaiming their castle/ancestral home theme continues the rest of the season and how that ties in with the Gideon plotline.  I have some thoughts on that score

Spoiler

Namely, the Imps might have "moved in" when they kicked out Bo-Katan back in the second episode of this season.

but I won't be surprised if it doesn't go that way, either.

Mind, this season has been just disjointed enough (thanks probably in no small part for having to carry storylines that were meant to be seen in Rangers of the New Republic) that this might not be a continuing theme.  But if it is, then that might tie up the season's arc nicely.

Just have to see, I suppose.

43 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The pacing has been pretty lackluster this season. Only 2 episodes left, and the story has barely started, and there's no sign of Gideon anywhere. I really wonder what happened, as the creative team who brought us the previous two seasons is still intact for this one.

I think at least part of it might be trying to finesse a Major Storyline that was meant to be told in The Rangers of the New Republic, but got axed thanks to Gina Carano not being able to keep her yap shut on social media.

If we take out the Coruscant plotline from episode 3 of this season and the plotline with Carson Teeva last week, then this season has been relatively straightforward, if not as adroitly told as S1/S2.

Now this isn't exculpatory, as if you're gonna tell a story, make sure it's well told.  But I am starting to wonder if they've shoe-horned in some things that were meant to breathe on their own, in their own space. 

(Mind, they should have just bit the bullet and either recast Gina's character or rework the show with a similiar-ish character and not tried to shoehorn into this season's tale, but what's done is done)

Of course, I could be reading far too much into this/listening to too much fan theorizing.  This season could just have two major stories on parallel tracks (the more chivalrous tale of Mandos reclaiming their home and the more military/spy angle of What's Up With Gideon).  On the other hand, TPTB did say they were planning on still using things that were meant to be in Rangers, and it being told here and now does make me go "Hmmmmm...."

Now how the two plotlines tie together?  Especially as you note with only two episodes left?  Just have to see, I suppose.  Presuming a lot of it isn't being left for future seasons, mind.

It was good but I have no idea how the season is gonna conclude in a satisfying way. 

Spoiler

I really enjoyed the planet, the world, the designs. The droid bar was an especially nice touch. My main issue is the ending, Bo-Katan got the Darksaber back in such an anticlimactic way. It felt like a lot of potential dramatic tension was thrown away for nothing. 

Edited by Menor Reborn

Another really good episode.

Loved the new planet in this one. Vibrant colours, sleek and modern look, finally plenty of people around that made it feel like a proper city. The story worked, there were some unique elements to it. Even a bit of "I, Robot" in there.

Spoiler

Grogu seemed kind of superfluous in this episode. Makes you wonder why they had to rush him back so quickly after they made him leave at the end of season 2. The whole season so far could have worked just fine without him. Something that would have made an eventual reunion all the more powerful.

The droids bits were very well done. I liked the droid's interest in "wanting to live", and the investigative parts of the story as a whole. Not to mention the call back to Kuiil. For some reason story-arcs that requite detective work seem to work really well in Star Wars.

With the ending to the last episode, and the involvement of Mandalorians a smercenaries in this one, I guess "someone" is trying to create a conflict between the New Republic and the Mandalorians. Probably the story for the finale. I guess we will see very little of Moff Gideon in this season, possibly using his apperance as the bridge to the next season. In a way that would make the whole season more of a setup than a full story on its own though.

Edited by George Parr
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Been seeing a clip go around on Twitter and it's cool that it's actually a kids show now but why does it have the production value of an insurance ad?

Spoiler: it was ALWAYS a kids show.

Also that clip doing the rounds on Twitter had motion smoothing all over it, it doesn’t look out of place on the actual episode.

Andor has definitely given the “SW is for adults!!!!!!” crowd a skewed vision of what Star Wars is. Mando was always just a fun adventure of the week type show that wraps up each season with more mythology themed episodes, and I expect the next two episodes to be no different.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Spoiler: it was ALWAYS a kids show.

Also that clip doing the rounds on Twitter had motion smoothing all over it, it doesn’t look out of place on the actual episode.

Andor has definitely given the “SW is for adults!!!!!!” crowd a skewed vision of what Star Wars is. Mando was always just a fun adventure of the week type show that wraps up each season with more mythology themed episodes, and I expect the next two episodes to be no different.

Eh, I don't think anything in the last two seasons resembled the clip I saw from this week's episode. 

38 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Eh, I don't think anything in the last two seasons resembled the clip I saw from this week's episode. 

It’s just because it took place on a clean, pristine planet with bright lighting. If they’d done the exact same scene on Navarro or Tatooine it’d not be receiving anywhere near as much criticism online. I honestly don’t even think it looks that bad.

Admittedly, Lizzo and Jack Black took me out of it a little bit, but I think the pile-on that this episode seems to be suffering on Twitter is massively OTT.

• Like 1

*considers self blessed that he has unplugged enough to NOT know which scene is being memed/criticized*

*considers self even more blessed that he doesn't care in the slightest to find out*

• Like 2

The Bombardier is the spinoff we need.

I don't mind the semi-bubble episodes, if it moves Mando/Grogu along in the story 

I suspect some of the focus on side characters is to test balloon possible spinoffs, based on reaction and feedback.

With that said, I'm hoping the next season is 200% more centered on Mando/Grogu.