Fullbuster

The Mandalorian | March 2023 for S3

Spoiler

I was thinking that may be Mando's helmet will break when fighting, but him taking it up willingly was nice too. then I thought he will cover his face as soon as the officer come near him but well...

Noob question

Spoiler

The face scan he did there, was that scanning the face and matching it with database thing? if so why did it matched?

• Like 1

Spoiler

Really really love how much more development Mayfeld got this episode. Loved the Operation Cinder name drop... guessing we’ll get some more development of it to make sense of the remaining Imperial Remnant. And seems like we’ll find out why the ISB wants Fennec in The Bad Batch

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Noob question

Hide contents

The face scan he did there, was that scanning the face and matching it with database thing? if so why did it matched?

Spoiler

Yeah, that's actually an interesting question about why it went through.  No clue. Probably have to re-watch it to see if there was a line earlier that would have allowed it.

Is pretty much the definition of "Fridge Logic", but there's prob an answer somewhere out there.  Just not from me.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Noob question

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

At the beginning Mayfeld says that if you get scanned and show up on a New Republic register then it’s game over. So I guess they scan your genetic signature and run it against New Republic registers, and if you don’t show up on any, you’re fine... Kinda weird that they wouldn’t have their own Imperial database, but I guess you could say that their databases are too unreliable for that or something.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:
  Hide contents

At the beginning Mayfeld says that if you get scanned and show up on a New Republic register then it’s game over. So I guess they scan your genetic signature and run it against New Republic registers, and if you don’t show up on any, you’re fine... Kinda weird that they wouldn’t have their own Imperial database, but I guess you could say that their databases are too unreliable for that or something.

Spoiler

Okay, how's this:

Negative security (don't allow people on Various Shit Lists; Allow Everyone Else) instead of positive security (Only Allow Set People).

A little weak, but this is an Remnant of the Empire. I suppose if they regularly dealt with mercs and other hangers-on due to their precarious situation it could work.  More care about NR agents coming in than someone literally not on any of their very lengthy Shit Lists.

Yes, as I think about it, the delay was the terminal going "Is he on this Shit List?  No.  This one?  No.  Okay, how about THIS Shit List?

Still no?  Alrighty then."

As I said, on the weaker side.  But the moment was powerful enough that I'll allow it, if docking off some partial points from the episode.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Inceptionzq said:
  Reveal hidden contents

1 hour ago, Porthos said:
  Reveal hidden contents

One other thing about this minitopic before I head to bed ( @charlie Jatinder)

Spoiler

He also did have a valid key code thingamajig that he placed into the computer.  That probably was a LOT of the security clearances.  It was just checking the face as a backup failsafe to make sure it wasn't some rogue agent breaking into the system (see my shit list comments).

So as a backup system... Okay, still a little weak. But since it wasn't the primary security checker (that would be the thing he stuck in), it isn't quite as bad at first blush.  

Can't recall.  Did he have to also input a security code (given by Mayfield).  Not really important either way, but if so it becomes:

1st line of defense: Get through literally a shit ton of soldiers guarding the terminal, deep inside a base.

2nd line of defense: Plug in a USB Stick security card.

3rd line of defense: Code inputted (if there was one)

3rd line/4th line of defense: Check biometric data (face, eyes, whatever) to make sure it isn't someone we hate.

And since Mando's face has, quite literally, never been seen since he was a kid, he was the perfect person to bypass that particular safeguard.

So all in all,... Okay, I guess.  Restore a couple of the fraction of points I took off.  Prob could have made the initial convo a tad clearer/natural.  Or reworked it so it was clear that the face scanny thing wasn't a security measure to allow access, but an anti-spy safeguard to stop trouble makers.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

Spoiler

Definitely an awesome episode and it was weird as fuck to be feeling relief when the stormtroopers and TIEs showed up lmao. But I dug it.

The tension during *that* scene with Mayfeld was definitely making me squirm, and lol at it being released with him just shooting that officer point blank in the chest. That's one way to do it. :lol:

Even though we didn't get Grogu in this I still felt the love with Mando going to such lengths for his son. First him taking off his helmet and then his message to Gideon at the end had me like

Q5hpJGS.gif

Particularly the helmet thing since that was a huge deal. I legit thought they were going to kill Mayfeld just so they could keep it as no one being alive who'd seen his face but then he made it. Which kinda just makes it even more of a big deal so I'm good with that. And the last scene with the "He means more to me than you'll ever know"? Had me going 😭 for sure.

Very intrigued to see how next week goes and if Grogu and Mando will be reunited. I kinda almost hope they torture us for 10 months and leave it so they aren't, but we'll see.

Edited by Gamora
  • Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 6:30 PM, Porthos said:

No, you're right, it was a different type of story (focusing largely on one group) and, IMO, pitched at a slightly younger audience.  

Starts to get a bit more complex and nuance-y as the series goes on though.  Ironically pretty much starting in the last half of S2.  Be curious to get your take of the S2 season finale, for instance.

You were bang on, it got a lot better from about halfway through the season. I enjoyed the finale a lot, mostly because I love darth maul lol. Nice to see and hear that familiar voice / face. I fundamentally don't like the Ezra character, he's irritating (and coarse and rough..). So I am not too interested in the light/dark thing going on there that's making him more complex. I mostly just enjoyed the finale as a "Seeing some familiar characters being portrayed in a realistic and faithful way to who they are and should be".

The  real standout for me was the moment when Ahsoka sees through the mask, and suddenly I was taken back to watching Clone Wars all those years ago, and the emotion came rushing back and it was, briefly, heart-breaking. Ahsoka and Anakin are such well written characters. The fact that I haven't watched Clone Wars since like... 7 years ago or so. And yet in a flash, I can go from just casually enjoying some Star Wars fan-fodder to instantly getting tears in my eye. That speaks to how strong those two characters are.

I previously thought it was dumb to have Ahsoka back because I thought her send-off in TCW s5 was perfect. But in hindsight I am glad that Ahsoka returned to Star Wars, and I've got a lot more interest in the Mandalorian version of her, now that Rebels s2 finale reminded me of how much she means to me.

Havent watched season 3 yet. I've been sucked further into Squadrons and I've started Jedi Fallen Order, which is fucking AMAZING and I can't believe I didnt pay any attention to it in the 1 year its been out... I just had ignored it because I think most new "AAA" games are absolute crap. I'm only a couple hours in but it's genuinely breathtaking, haven't played a single player game like this in a very long time.

• Like 1

So here's a question for folks to chew on, regarding the title of this episode:

Spoiler

Which character is the titular Believer?

Is it Valin Hess (the asshole Imperial captain), who clearly is a True Believer in the Empire?

Is it Din Djarin, but looking at what happens when a believer has a crisis of faith and what really matters to them when "things get messy"?

Or is it even possibly Mayfield who claims not to believe in anything. but when the chips are down he decides... yes, he believes in something after all:  An all encompassing rage to the type of officer and system that Hess represents.

I suppose if we want to strictly follow the naming convention of most of the series where the title refers to an important character in that episode, then it is Valin Hess.  At the same time, there have been a few thematic titles like "The Tragedy" and "Redemption" (to name a couple) along with a setting title like "Sanctuary". 

So it really could be all three of these characters, from a certain point of view.   The actual title character is Hess.  But it thematically applies all three characters.

Not the biggest observation in the world, but a neat little thing to think about all the same, IMO.

• Like 4

I really really enjoyed this episode. 

I felt a bit disconnected not being on they 'this-is-greatest-thing-ever-hype' for the last couple of episodes which I thought were fine. 

This episode was so well directed. The dialogue felt so much more natural than last episode and the performances as well. The cast really gelled well together. Bill Burr and Richard Brake killed it. It was paced really nice and we also got big character moments from Mando. The lush jungle setting added some much needed variation. Cinematography was on point as well (some of the action could have been shot better but still solid).

Spoiler

Boba's new look is pretty dope. A bit too clean for my tastes, I think he looks better with a bit of grime. 

The rotating inside of Slave-One is really cool.

There's a static shot of Cara taking out some troopers in the truck that they decided to do in one take and it was wonderful.

I really like how Mando fought the way he would have with his Beskar on, and it bit him in the ass. 

Mando chucking the grenade back was badass.

It was hilarious when 3 more boat-ships show up and everyone on them is prepping their grenades. I don't know if it was supposed to be a comedic gag but it tickled me. 

The helmet coming off - I love how he's slowly forced into the choices, it just builds up to the moment where the helmet comes off so well. The deciding to put on trooper armour, Mayfeld's conversation with him, Mayfeld being unable to do it, the countdown on the machine. It made for a powerful moment and you can feel his determination. Pedro Pascal's uncomfortableness afterwards was great. 

When Mayfeld and the Empire officer are just talking at the table was so well done. Genuinely tense and you can just feel what it's leading to.

Really enjoyed the shootout after, Cara and Fennec sniping people together was super fun. Great pairing

I'm not on the prequel train but one of the few moments I enjoyed were the seismic charges and as soon as those TIE's starting chasing Boba I could feel it coming and it was glorious. Exact same sound design as well with the drop to complete silence. 

Mayfelds arc was just great this episode wasn't it. Im a sucker for a recontextualized dialogue callback in a script and the whole 'sleeping better at night' just fucking worked. 

Mandos message to Moff Gideon was kinda odd but I guess they want finale buildup.

Overall, it had everything I could want from an episode of The Mandalorian. 

9/10

• Like 3

That was a truly great episode for me. Might be up there with the favourites of the entire show, and who would know it, it was once again directed by Rick Famuyiwa. Great action sequences, great character work, an outstanding Bill Burr, just flat out awesome all around :hi5:

Give that man an entire movie already.

Some further notes:

- the scene with the Imperial officer was intense, what a well played scene

- felt a bit odd to be happy about TIEs saving the day
- similarly the Imperials cheering their arrival humanzied them quite a bit, and oh, that poor trooper in the canteen carrying his tray...
- what a callback to AOTC with the seismic charges
- mentioning Operation Cinder was also a nice touch, wouldn't have expected them to have Battlefront 2 as a reference
- Mando throwind Gideon's words back at him was also a fitting end

Edited by George Parr
  • Like 4

Best episode of the season and second-best of the series (behind the finale of S1). Excellent action, performances, and dialogue. 

Spoiler

I loved the Imperial officer villain, even in a short appearance he was creepy and intimidating. And Mayfeld just straight up shooting him was one of the best surprises of the series. 

The fights with the pirates were a lot of fun, I loved how the stakes were raised with each new arrival. 

SEISMIC CHARGES. Love the AOTC callback.

As others have said it was jarring (in a good way) to have the Empire presented as the heroes. 

Loved how this showed Mando willing to break all his rules to get Grogu back. 

Hologram message at the end set the stage really nicely for the finale. 

• Like 3

I've been a fan of his comedic work, I've gotta say, with this and King of Staten Island, Burr is proving to be a really great actor. 

On 12/12/2020 at 12:40 AM, Porthos said:

Hide contents

Which character is the titular Believer?

Is it Valin Hess (the asshole Imperial captain), who clearly is a True Believer in the Empire?

Is it Din Djarin, but looking at what happens when a believer has a crisis of faith and what really matters to them when "things get messy"?

Or is it even possibly Mayfield who claims not to believe in anything. but when the chips are down he decides... yes, he believes in something after all:  An all encompassing rage to the type of officer and system that Hess represents.

I suppose if we want to strictly follow the naming convention of most of the series where the title refers to an important character in that episode, then it is Valin Hess.  At the same time, there have been a few thematic titles like "The Tragedy" and "Redemption" (to name a couple) along with a setting title like "Sanctuary". 

So it really could be all three of these characters, from a certain point of view.   The actual title character is Hess.  But it thematically applies all three characters.

Not the biggest observation in the world, but a neat little thing to think about all the same, IMO.

Spoiler

I think the title is purely thematic and works for all three characters. No other way it works within the context of the episode imo (naming it after the villain would be odd). And that relatively dense thematic point in play here is also why it's my favourite episode of the show. Lots of TLJ vibes too, specifically Finn's arc.

• Like 2

Something that came to my mind, there is another callback to KOTOR, though I'm not sure if it was intentional or not.

The scene of Mando sending a message to Moff Gideon was done in a very similar fashion to how Zayne Carrick sends a message to his old Jedi masters in the KOTOR comics, telling them that he will come for them.

Edited by George Parr