grim22

Labor Day Weekend Thread | 4 day #s - DB 19.5M, SS 12.8M, Pete 8.5M, Kubo 6.5M, SP 6M, Bad Moms 6M, War Dogs 6M, LBO 5.9M, Morgan 2.4M

15 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

But remember, RT hates WB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One should keep in mind that not every movie draws the same critics, or the same amount of critics. The population that submits a review for a Clint Eastwood movie could be different from the critic population that submits a review for a tent pole movie.

Interestingly, the first, and so far, only poor review for Sully comes from Collider. The review calls the movie an " unsalvageable mess" which is the current go-to descriptor for WB tent-pole movies in general. It rates the movie a 1.5/5.  

Also, interestingly, American Sniper's early reviews had similar scores and the initial bad reviews came from Drew McWeeny of Hitfix who said it was an " oddly stilted misfire "and Devin Faraci from Birth.Movies.Death who said about Eastwood " he has made not one but two of the absolute worst movies of the year ". 

Not to disagree with these people too much, as I didn't think American Sniper was all too great, but I can think of many more movies worse than it in 2014. Even when deserving a poor review, unless Eastwood has reach the point of dementia, I doubt he would deliver anything resembling a "mess".

• Like 1

• Community Manager
19 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Image result for suburgatory gif

Don't get our hopes up.

One of my favorite jokes on Suburgatory is Dalia's crushing disappointment at Madea Goes to Jail's OW and thus was not allowed to access box office mojo anymore.

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

One of my favorite jokes on Suburgatory is Dalia's crushing disappointment at Madea Goes to Jail's OW and thus was not allowed to access box office mojo anymore.

I caught up with Suburgatory after it was cancelled on Netflix and found myself so sad that I didn't discover it sooner. Ryan Shay is the hunky sitcom dude version of Dug from Up.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I caught up with Suburgatory after it was cancelled on Netflix and found myself so sad that I didn't discover it sooner. Ryan Shay is the hunky sitcom dude version of Dug from Up.

I wish ABC had given it a proper final season. It really deserved it. :sadben:

27 minutes ago, AdamKendall said:

Ah, so with the international weekend, Suicide Squad has now passed Man of Steel with 672.9 million.

725-730 should be it's final landing spot.

In the past 31 days, Suicide Squad has either been #1 or #2 daily at the box office. Longest such streak this year, Dory missed on a whole month in the top 2 thanks to the OD of Mike and Dave.

• Like 2

Holdovers dominate typical quiet Labor Day while new releases flop. Overall for the 3-day portion the top 12 which is up from last year at at $74.7 million.                                   The horror/thriller Don't Breathe led the top spot this weekend which is the first time since 2012 that a horror film has led Labor-Day weekend, and has been the first R-rated horror film to lead two weeks in a row since The Final Destination! Also to note that Don't Breathe has had the best hold for an R-rated horror film this year nearly 41%! With not any real horror competition until Blair Witch on September 16th. Don't Breathe should hold up fine, and make around $75 million domestic.                                         Still standing on 2nd place, Suicide Squad had a solid hold with an estimated $10 million, and a solid drop below 20%. By tomorrow the film should pass the $300 million mark, and should do fine considering there isn't any real big blockbusters coming out this fall. Look for Suicide Squad to end its run around $320 million.                         Disney's live-action remake Pete's Dragon climbed back to the 3rd spot this weekend with a solid drop below 15%, without any real big family competition until September 23rd Pete's Dragon still has solid holds for the next two weekends, and make between $75-$80 million domestic.                                            Laika Animation's Kubo and the Two Strings saw another solid hold also below 20%. Just like Pete's Dragon, this should hold up fine until Storks hits later this month. Look for Kubo to end its run close to $50 million domestic.                      On number five, R-rated animated comedy Sausage Party had the best hold this weekend for the film          Just under 30% which is very good for an R-rated comedy of this type. But should still do fine without any competition  minus Bad Moms. Look for Sausage Party to fry at least $100 million domestic.                     The first new release The Light Between The Oceans drowned with an estimated $4.9 million on a $20 million production budget that's not enough to recoup. Look for Oceans to wave above $10 million domestic.                                                     Going up a spot this weekend,R-rated comedy Bad Moms passed the $100 milllion spot this weekend! Which is the first $100 million grosser for newcomer company STX Entertainment, and should make at least near $115 million domestic.                                                            War Dogs saw a decent hold below 35% this weekend which isn't bad for the film but it's hard to tell whether or not the film will be able to break even. Look for War Dogs to shoot up at least above $40

million domestic.                                 Hell Or High Water expanded this weekend with an estimated $4.5 million which isn't bad for the film and should make near $25 million domestic.                                         Jason Statham action sequel Mechanic:Ressurection had the steepest drop on the top 10 this weekend near 43%, which is much smaller than its predecessor's 53% drop 5 years ago and an improvement from Statham past action films which all saw north of 45% drops(Killer Elite) to over 50%(Homefront, and Parker) to even near 70%(Safe). Overall Mechanic:Ressurection should find a following on home video and VOD and Netflix etc. Look for Mechanic to end its run over $20 million domestic.                                                   Jason Bourne holding strong below 25% drop this weekend, and should hold up fine and end its run north of $160 million domestic.        Another new release this weekend in 362 locations, No Manches Frida had a decent start this weekend with an estimated $3.6 million but is still below the $7.8 million debut of Instructions Not Included which was in 348 locations on its opening weekend 3 years ago. Overall No Manches Frida should end its run close to $10 million domestic.                                               The biggest release this weekend(the largest theater count of over 2,000 locations), Morgan bombed at number 17 with an estimated $1.8 million which is on-par with last year's bomb We Are Your Friends($1.7 million). Although Morgan had a small budget of $8 million, that's not enough to save the film. Fox has had a mixed bag with Ridkey Scott(was the producer of Morgan) over the past 4 years with hits like Prometheus, and The Martian doing very solid numbers both domestic and worldwide. But Ridley has had The Counselor and Exodus:Of Gods And Kings(which both did better overseas but not enough to recooperate), and also the film looked unappealing to a broad audience(just like the other new release Light Between The Oceans) and felt very straight to DVD. With bad word of mouth, Morgan should die off its run very quickly and fall short of $5 million domestic.

Edited by Maxmoser3
  • Like 3