grim22

Labor Day Weekend Thread | 4 day #s - DB 19.5M, SS 12.8M, Pete 8.5M, Kubo 6.5M, SP 6M, Bad Moms 6M, War Dogs 6M, LBO 5.9M, Morgan 2.4M

1 hour ago, JennaJ said:

So what would be the first movie this year to fall in that 200-300 gap?

The Magnificent Seven, Doctor Strange, Fantastic Beasts and Sing all have a good chance at ending up here IMO. 

Passengers and Moana have outside chances. 

I'll say Magnificent Seven. It'll be the first major tentpole since August 5 and every Sept-Oct period since 2013 has had a $150 million+ DOM adult-targeting hit (Gravity, Gone Girl, The Martian). 

Just now, RichWS said:

Continually surprised at how bullish people are on Magnificient Seven. I'm sure it'll do very well but 200 million? I just don't see it. 

people are gonna flip when it does a standard denzel action picture 105 mil.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Continually surprised by how bullish people are on Magnificient Seven. I'm sure it'll do very well but 200 million? I just don't see it. 

Chris Pratt Effect.

Any movie he does these days, even ones in which he does during his time off from franchise films because working actor's gotta work, is probably gonna be expected to do bullish numbers around these parts.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

Chris Pratt Effect.

Any movie he does these days, even ones in which he does during his time off from franchise films because working actor's gotta work, is probably gonna be expected to do bullish numbers around these parts.

I was just about to write a post about this. I love the guy but folks act like he's fuckin' Cruise circa 2000.

Honestly I'm tracking "Mag7" alongside recent westerns "Django" and "True Grit" which made 162-171 unadjusted.   So I'm going to start there.   Westerns sadly have a celing in this modern era.  I'm hoping for 200 because this gap this year is crazy, lol.   Denzel is very solid box office wise and the cast is fantastic so I think it does have breakout potential but it's still a Western in the month of September.   I'm the opening weekend just as I was for "Tranning Day" 15 years ago.  Because of my father and "Back to the future III"  I'm kinda of a western fan, I actually saw "Quick and the Dead" on the big screen in the 90's and still like the film very much. 

Edited by filmscholar